• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Humming / Slight Vibration @ 45-48ish or Higher

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Looking at the shutter system, its definately possible that those shutters get stuck open and then start to vibrate at higher speeds or maybe one or two fans get stuck open. Not sure why it would happen... Seems like that is what has caused noise and vibration in the other threads though

B7BEA32D-C804-414A-9825-BD6B2D1E4EE0.jpeg
I can check this out too but the sound so far has lined up so perfectly with when the damn deploys (and how it deploys)... and the fact I removed the deployable part of the damn and the sound stopped all together.

Doesn't mean it's not these per say as it is either the damn itself or where it is redirecting air when deployed that is causing the sound. If it's redirecting air here and it's not functioning correctly then it could indeed be here.

Here's the video of a 45-53mph run just now. Sorry for the wet-road noise - I might need to do this again when the roads are dry to get good audio. I didn't particularly see anything wrong or and I am not sure on the sound it's making.. too much wet-road noise I think; it's a little clear later in the video (second deployment). I did still hear it in the cabin, just like normal.

Next thing(s) I want to do is record the interior noise for reference and perhaps mount the cam looking into the wheel well .. not sure how I can get a good angle on that tho but can try.

Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
I can check this out too but the sound so far has lined up so perfectly with when the damn deploys (and how it deploys)... and the fact I removed the deployable part of the damn and the sound stopped all together.

Doesn't mean it's not these per say as it is either the damn itself or where it is redirecting air when deployed that is causing the sound. If it's redirecting air here and it's not functioning correctly then it could indeed be here.

Here's the video of a 45-53mph run just now. Sorry for the wet-road noise - I might need to do this again when the roads are dry to get good audio. I didn't particularly see anything wrong or and I am not sure on the sound it's making.. too much wet-road noise I think; it's a little clear later in the video (second deployment). I did still hear it in the cabin, just like normal.

Next thing(s) I want to do is record the interior noise for reference and perhaps mount the cam looking into the wheel well .. not sure how I can get a good angle on that tho but can try.

Are you hearing it clearly in the video when played back on Youtube? I think the wet road may be masking the sound to some degree.

It's possible that the air dam is connected to something that vibrates and causes the sound in the cabin, but not outside.

Also wanted to note that your audio, at least through Youtube, has a hard cutoff at 15 kHz, and it seems like it's missing data quite a bit lower than that. Typically hum sounds are a lot lower in pitch, so that's probably not the problem here. Just want to make sure it's recording at at least 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz for this sort of application.

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you hearing it clearly in the video when played back on Youtube? I think the wet road may be masking the sound to some degree.

It's possible that the air dam is connected to something that vibrates and causes the sound in the cabin, but not outside.

Also wanted to note that your audio, at least through Youtube, has a hard cutoff at 15 kHz, and it seems like it's missing data quite a bit lower than that. Typically hum sounds are a lot lower in pitch, so that's probably not the problem here. Just want to make sure it's recording at at least 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz for this sort of application.
Yea you can't hear it outside or because the noise from wet roads over-road it. Can be heard it in the cabin. At least I confirmed the air damn itself doesn't seem to have any direct issues. Just shared this incase anyone was interested in seeing it function (or spotted something I didn't).

I'll get some audio in the cabin tomorrow and maybe some video of anything happening in the wheel well.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
I thought the active air dam was just the shudders. This thing is super cool. :)

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here is the humming sound I am hearing in the cabin. To recap - It starts 10-15 seconds after I am above 45 and then is (mostly) consistent until I bring the truck's speed down under 45 again (and the active air damn retracts). Occasionally the sound will go away for a couple seconds but mostly this humming noise remains anytime above 45 as described. Again, when I took the deploying plastic piece of the air damn off this sound completely stops / never shows up.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh and for the record - the grill shutters are always open as far as I can tell. I did the remote start thing where you can watch them open and close. In my case they close and then open and stay open. No idea of that is normal.. but they seem to be closing and opening fine.

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
Oh and for the record - the grill shutters are always open as far as I can tell. I did the remote start thing where you can watch them open and close. In my case they close and then open and stay open. No idea of that is normal.. but they seem to be closing and opening fine.
From what I understood, the shutters close when the truck hits 50 mph or so for more than 5 seconds. This is because it is intended not to cool the batteries too much when the truck is moving at high speeds and/or to reduce airflow to the temperature control system. I think there was a link to a video somewhere describing this process last year somewhere.

If you look at this picture as well, there appears to be an air filter of sorts behind those shutters. If that's the case, the sound I get seems to sound like something I used to get with another vehicle where the air filter is loose-ish and the filter vibrates in the holder. Perhaps that is what is happening? I might suggest you point that camera at those shutters and try the speed test again.
Ford F-150 Lightning Humming / Slight Vibration @ 45-48ish or Higher 1676496896503

Last edited:
OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here is another video I got of a side view of the wheel well and the active air damn working at above 45. You can sort of hear a baffling noise after it deploys but it's really hard to say if that is just a timing coincidence with the cam mic in direct wind like that.

In other words, not much to see here but posting it anyway for those interested.

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From what I understood, the shutters close when the truck hits 50 mph or so for more than 5 seconds. This is because it is intended not to cool the batteries too much when the truck is moving at high speeds and/or to reduce airflow to the temperature control system. I think there was a link to a video somewhere describing this process last year somewhere.

If you look at this picture as well, there appears to be an air filter of sorts behind those shutters. If that's the case, the sound I get seems to sound like something I used to get with another vehicle where the air filter is loose-ish and the filter vibrates in the holder. Perhaps that is what is happening? I might suggest you point that camera at those shutters and try the speed test again.
Good info, thanks. I'm trying to find enough metal bumper to mount the cam to while it can see in, to do just this. No Luck yet lol. I posted the sound it makes in the cabin up above if interested.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok - here's the active grill shutters in action up to about 55mph. Looks as if they are operating ok to me.. there is lots of whistling but that's probably normal? You can barely see, bottom right in the grill shutter box, the active air damn deploying (and light coming through when it does). The sound changes a little when that happens.

I still don't know what's causing the hummm on the interior after all these vids lol.

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
What's kind of interesting is the discussion on the secondary compressor in the Thermal management video. Ford did focus a lot on the mount on that second compressor due to vibration and potential noise issues. Could the vibration and sound be coming from that second compressor (See 10:51 in the Munro video). Do you have the max tow package on your truck? I do and it sits about underneath what looks to be like the gear shifter. or a little more towards the instrument panel. Just another thought

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What's kind of interesting is the discussion on the secondary compressor in the Thermal management video. Ford did focus a lot on the mount on that second compressor due to vibration and potential noise issues. Could the vibration and sound be coming from that second compressor (See 10:51 in the Munro video). Do you have the max tow package on your truck? I do and it sits about underneath what looks to be like the gear shifter. or a little more towards the instrument panel. Just another thought
I do have max tow but that piece looks far back, I doubt that is it. This sound comes in through what sounds like the passenger side front wheel well. Like you can almost feel the vibration over there with your foot. Same reason I took video of that area but didn't notice anything. I say almost because it's not extreme vibration, could be passed off as road vibration but the hum is certainly apparent right in that area by your right foot on the passenger side.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Here is the humming sound I am hearing in the cabin. To recap - It starts 10-15 seconds after I am above 45 and then is (mostly) consistent until I bring the truck's speed down under 45 again (and the active air damn retracts). Occasionally the sound will go away for a couple seconds but mostly this humming noise remains anytime above 45 as described. Again, when I took the deploying plastic piece of the air damn off this sound completely stops / never shows up.
That’s kind of like a boomy drone. I can say with certainty that that sound is not in my truck.

I hear that whistle ever so slightly at highway speed in my truck!

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I threw the truck up on some ramps and took a quick video to reference later. I didn't see anything interesting but sharing the video anyway, because why not. I did it fast because it was cold and windy lol pause the video for any points of interest.

The only thing remotely "loose" that could be shaking/causing humming was either the underbody "cloth" panels but they felt on there pretty tight.. just soft-touch/movable by nature OR

The backup speaker box directly above the active air damn on the passenger side. It wiggles when pushed on but the screws themselves are tight so I am not sure what to do with that. If I knew how and I could access it easy enough I would unplug it and take it off just to see if the humming sound stops (and put it back on afterwards).

OR simply something I can't see or touch.

Sponsored