• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Humming / Slight Vibration @ 45-48ish or Higher

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Tape down this bar-code tag, might be catching wind like reed instrument .... or not.

Ford F-150 Lightning Humming / Slight Vibration @ 45-48ish or Higher 1676587153274
Sponsored

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Something I figured out today - you can keep the active air damn retracted by running in either tow-haul mode or offroad mode. I haven't verified with the cam yet that it actually retracted but I could be going down the rood, hearing the noise, then press either of those and it almost instantly stopped. Almost certainly it is retracing in those modes.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Something I figured out today - you can keep the active air damn retracted by running in either tow-haul mode or offroad mode. I haven't verified with the cam yet that it actually retracted but I could be going down the rood, hearing the noise, then press either of those and it almost instantly stopped. Almost certainly it is retracing in those modes.
Good info. I'm not a fan at throwing parts at an issue but sometimes it's the best option and when someone else is paying for it, it's a really good option. Clearly the air dam is causing the noise, either directly or indirectly. If you replace it, under warranty of course, and the problem goes away you've solved it. If the problem doesn't go away you can eliminate the dam directly causing the issue.

I think you have enough evidence to get the dealership to replace the air dam. Who knows, when they tear it apart maybe they'll find a loose shroud or something.

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
Occupation
Ford Guy
I wanted to provide an update on this one.

TL;DR dealer ran diagnostics (looking at the wheel bearing most closely) and ultimately said nothing is wrong and the sound is just wind sound when the active air damn deploys around 45+. Ford gave me a choice to get a second opinion from another dealer or just pay the diagnostic fee for the first dealer and accept it as is.

Sound never happened during the first 3000 miles so I am skeptical of that being "normal". It only happens near the passenger side front wheel well. Doesn't seem right at all.

I more or less did confirm it is indeed the air damn or is something it's redirecting air toward and making vibrate / humm while deployed (45+). ---- I removed the piece that comes down (6 screws on (just) the plastic piece), touched nothing mechanical or wires. Sound/humm stopped completely - fully back to normal 45+ drive sound. The piece itself doesn't look damaged and I couldn't see where it may be redirecting air to cause the hum sound. I have no idea what's happening with it or why it is isolated to the wheel well area.

That piece provides efficiently and I need all I can get while towing so I want it back on. I am torn on what to do - If I want to chance it at another dealer to get told the same thing (and waste more money). Or just ignore the sound forever.
You had to pay a diagnostic fee? Are you not under warranty?

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good info. I'm not a fan at throwing parts at an issue but sometimes it's the best option and when someone else is paying for it, it's a really good option. Clearly the air dam is causing the noise, either directly or indirectly. If you replace it, under warranty of course, and the problem goes away you've solved it. If the problem doesn't go away you can eliminate the dam directly causing the issue.

I think you have enough evidence to get the dealership to replace the air dam. Who knows, when they tear it apart maybe they'll find a loose shroud or something.
You had to pay a diagnostic fee? Are you not under warranty?
I was told by Ford to get a second opinion at a different dealer and if the second dealer also says it is "working as intended" then I have to pay two diagnostic fees. Instead, if the second place thinks it is a real problem then I don't have to pay anything and it'll all be covered under warranty.

I've decided to give it a shot at another place - I do think I have enough evidence at this point, thanks for helping me be convinced of that. I got something scheduled for the middle of next week - will report back on how this ultimately needs up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update:
Second dealership also said they couldn't find anything wrong. Even if there was noise - they can't find anything mechanically or technology-wise, wrong. Nothing to do.

They did complete the wiper motor replacement recall while it was in which was nice. They also didn't charge me any diagnostic fee.

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
Occupation
Ford Guy
Any further updates on this? I too am noticing a buzz/vibration that almost feels like it is vibrating the floor pan at speeds of 50-55 MPH and in a decent cross wind. I don't notice it when there is no cross wind. But the buzz certainly isn't constant as it comes and goes with no rhyme or reason I can detect.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Any further updates on this? I too am noticing a buzz/vibration that almost feels like it is vibrating the floor pan at speeds of 50-55 MPH and in a decent cross wind. I don't notice it when there is no cross wind. But the buzz certainly isn't constant as it comes and goes with no rhyme or reason I can detect.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Try driving in tow-haul mode and see if it stops. Did for me. Let us know if it helps.

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
Occupation
Ford Guy
Try driving in tow-haul mode and see if it stops. Did for me. Let us know if it helps.
UPDATE
Turning on tow mode 100% makes it go away, but it turns off my one pedal drive... :poop:

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
That piece provides efficiently and I need all I can get while towing so I want it back on. I am torn on what to do - If I want to chance it at another dealer to get told the same thing (and waste more money). Or just ignore the sound forever.
Any chance you can take a picture of the piece you removed? I have EXACTLY the same vibratrion. It is definitely wind-related and depending on the wind speed and direction, it shows up at different speeds but always around the 45-60mph range and my wife says the floor on the passenger side is vibrating when it kicks in. I'm pretty sure it is not the air dam that is physically vibrating since that would be more consistent through the front of the truck on both sides. My vibration is specifically on the passenger side right at the floor area much like you describe.

I will check the tow/haul thing next time I'm out but if that makes it go away, I am guessing tow/haul opens the louvers fully and changes the resonance of that piece you removed eliminating the vibration. Based on the info in this thread, it probably vibrates when the louvers are closed or partially open when the wind velocity hits the resonant frequency of that piece of plastic..
Sponsored

Last edited: