• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is there a truck culture gap for the Lightning vs the ICE F-150s?

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Most ice pickup owners buy their truck first based on towing and hauling, then factor in the commute. Most who are ordering here are thinking commute first with towing and hauling second.

If your state or province applied its taxes based on weight and distance then an ice vehicle or even a hybrid might make more sense then a bev. The field is not exactly level so you need to take a step back.

When my truck comes it won't replace my f-600, but it will give me an alternative for work. My truck decision has no commute based in it, strictly a dollars and sense to operate a mobile business. Right now the lightning makes sense for a certain group, but until the range and recharging infrastructure improves it won't for many. I need to calculate all my trips with range based on charging at home as disconnecting a trailer to charge is just a waste of time. One of the issues identified by many reviewers.
The main barrier is the difference between how people use their trucks and how people think they use their trucks. Current tech is already enough for the majority of how users actually use their truck. I have a GPS tracker in my truck we made 1 trip from all year more than 100 miles - NJ to MA. For that trip - I can go non-stop with ER battery or one 25 minute stop with a SR battery. We would make that stop anyway. Everywhere else we went all year I can make it round trip from home.

Most people who have an EV barrier have one on this once a year use case. That will get better over time. Silverado EV design for example has even faster charging.

Limiting factor for me is more destination overnight capable chargers at hotels. Sure there are people that drive straight from NJ to FL but most people that road trip will likely top our around 400-500 miles of driving in a day which is do-able with two pee breaks and a 30 minute lunch break. Just need more chargers at hotels
Sponsored