• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is there a truck culture gap for the Lightning vs the ICE F-150s?

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
So, I noticed that we seem to have a big cultural difference between the old forum that is now ICE F150 only, and the new, which is Lightning. Probably a good thing.

Given that 3/4 of us here on the Lightning side are new to Ford as a brand, according to Ford, is there going to be a long term division in the ICE vs. EV truck people, or will it shift?

If Ford can start getting the Lightning up to par with ICE deliveries in the future, which I know is a tall order, how long before we see the EV trucks taking over? The prediction often bandied about is 50% parity for 2030. Could it be coming faster?

Will the ICE people refuse to shift? I have met a lot of truck people that are just plain angry at the pure existence of a Lightning. They believe that their truck should be rolling coal all the time. And I do mean angry. They sound combative when talking about the existence of an EV pickup.

My thoughts are that pure ICE trucks will go away quickly, being replaced by hybrid and EV trucks in the coming years.

Thoughts on how this is going to shake up truck culture?
Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
A lot of truck people are pragmatic. When I talk to people about the Lightning they just want to know range, towing and price. The price of gas has really opened people’s eyes to alternatives.

But I’ve been answering people’s questions for ten years about my Volt and more recently Pacifica Hybrid. They listen and sound interested but then go buy another ICE, claiming they’ll own an EV “someday” once some moving-goalpost criterion is reached. I don’t think ICE trucks are going anywhere until they’re mandated out of existence.

OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
A lot of truck people are pragmatic. When I talk to people about the Lightning they just want to know range, towing and price. The price of gas has really opened people’s eyes to alternatives.

But I’ve been answering people’s questions for ten years about my Volt and more recently Pacifica Hybrid. They listen and sound interested but then go buy another ICE, claiming they’ll own an EV “someday” once some moving-goalpost criterion is reached. I don’t think ICE trucks are going anywhere until they’re mandated out of existence.
Oh, I see no reason for them going away per say - just becoming less and less common on the sales lots. Any new ICE vehicles will be hybrids, pure ICE will probably not sell well IMO. My reasoning for this is that as more people get EVs, and fewer get ICE - the fewer gas stations we will see. This will increase the price of gas over time, meaning, even if you want ICE, it will make more sense to buy the Hybrids from a cost perspective.

No one is going to get rid of an F100 that they have that still runs just fine and hauls what they need. At some point, the ICE trucks will wear out, and one will wonder if it is cost-effective to maintain ICE.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The shakeout will occur when reliable chargers are ubiquitous and a 20-minute stop will get you a 'reliably reliable' couple more hours of driving in about any local conditions.

The guys I know who disdain EVs also talk HP and torque. I think they will figure it out when the first paragraph becomes true. I don't have much of a good estimate for that, it's become political. I think Lightning may open more than a few eyes.

duallyben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-600, 2021 RAM 5500, 2019 int HV507 4X4
Occupation
self employeed
Most ice pickup owners buy their truck first based on towing and hauling, then factor in the commute. Most who are ordering here are thinking commute first with towing and hauling second.

If your state or province applied its taxes based on weight and distance then an ice vehicle or even a hybrid might make more sense then a bev. The field is not exactly level so you need to take a step back.

When my truck comes it won't replace my f-600, but it will give me an alternative for work. My truck decision has no commute based in it, strictly a dollars and sense to operate a mobile business. Right now the lightning makes sense for a certain group, but until the range and recharging infrastructure improves it won't for many. I need to calculate all my trips with range based on charging at home as disconnecting a trailer to charge is just a waste of time. One of the issues identified by many reviewers.

Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I live deep in the woods in Kentucky. My two best friends are well into their 60s. One is an old-time mechanic (he fought FORSCAN for a long time) who works out of his barn, the other a retired long haul trucker who says he is now a Professional Coon Hunter.

Both listen respectfully to me gush about the expected delivery of my Lightning but when I offer them a chance to drive it they get really agitated and loud exclaiming it will be over their dead bodies. Almost like Fact Denial.

For older, rural folks it will be a rerun of the Horse and Buggy Days vs. the Horse Riders; or the Tractor Drivers vs. the Horse Drawn Plowers.

At least until they die off or try to act younger. It was the same with my Mom, who would not use a computer until she was 80 years old and things became simpler or her younger friends shamed her.

As you get older it becomes harder to accept change, at least until change becomes more widespread.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
They’ll get here when they get here, just like when they started taking V8’s away for Turbo V6’s, eventually everyone accepted and transitioned.
They were “mad” then too.

We need to stop with the Us vs Them narrative. EV people get angry at ICE owners just because they won’t consider an EV so it isn’t only ICE owners who get angry.

4 banger vs V6

Import vs Domestic

No replacement for displacement

We’ve all heard this before and eventually everyone accepted

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
its a generational gap more than anything. most 50+ (generally speaking) will be more hesitant about EV trucks because they're used to what they've always known. ICE vehicles are still more convenient than EV. in my experience, many 50+er's that I've spoken with about the Lightning are looking for ANY excuse to avoid switching to electric. "how much will the home charging cost? can the grid handle everyone going EV? will my garage burst into flames unexpectedly when its charging? will I be able to find charging stations on a road trip?" etc...

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Even if Ford sold 50% of F-150s as electric by 2030 (which is an aggressive estimate IMO) there would still only be like 10-20% of the F-150s on the road as EVs because truck owners tend to keep the trucks going for a long time. I think we’re looking more towards 2040 to see EV full size trucks being 50% of trucks on the road.

OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Even if Ford sold 50% of F-150s as electric by 2030 (which is an aggressive estimate IMO) there would still only be like 10-20% of the F-150s on the road as EVs because truck owners tend to keep the trucks going for a long time. I think we’re looking more towards 2040 to see EV full size trucks being 50% of trucks on the road.
Absolutely - people won't sell working vehicles for EVs - especially if they live in an Apartment Complex or anywhere else they cannot charge overnight.

What will cause people to abandon ICE vehicles is a rise in fuel prices and a larger availability of used EVs on the market. Though, it is unfortunate, because those that can't afford EVs will end up paying higher prices to drive in the long run. Hopefully they reach price parity (and then an inverse disparity) soon.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have a feeling a number of "ICE forever" folks might change their mind after getting smoked at a stoplight.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
I've heard of some people that say they will give up driving if they have to drive an EV.

I know someone that said "The power company can control how far and where you drive with an EV." and "The power company will start raising electrical rates once everyone has an EV."

My brother said "I won't drive and EV until I'm forced to by the government" (just like he said he wouldn't take the COVID shot, because he would prefer to wait until everyone else is experimented on. Mom finally guilted him into getting the COVID shot.)

Mom believes lefties drive EVs because they think they can reach their Nirvana that way.

Dad doesn't have much an opinion on them, he's too old to drive now, but to hear him quietly say something about the electric bikes they advertise on TV, he probably hates the idea of EVs (since they watch Fox News almost all day long)

OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I've heard of some people that say they will give up driving if they have to drive an EV.

I know someone that said "The power company can control how far and where you drive with an EV." and "The power company will start raising electrical rates once everyone has an EV."

My brother said "I won't drive and EV until I'm forced to by the government" (just like he said he wouldn't take the COVID shot, because he would prefer to wait until everyone else is experimented on. Mom finally guilted him into getting the COVID shot.)

Mom believes lefties drive EVs because they think they can reach their Nirvana that way.

Dad doesn't have much an opinion on them, he's too old to drive now, but to hear him quietly say something about the electric bikes they advertise on TV, he probably hates the idea of EVs (since they watch Fox News almost all day long)

Yeah.... My sister believes they are worse for the environment, blow up your house, are slow, take forever to charge, cost more to use, damage the grid.... A whole host of stuff that I am like... Wat?

The fact that EVs are political is IMO - dumb. They. Are. Just. Cars.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The salesman at the Ford dealer told me EVs are a plot by ‘The Government’ to keep people close to their homes. I’ve known the guy for many years, but was still kind of taken aback.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The salesman at the Ford dealer told me EVs are a plot by ‘The Government’ to keep people close to their homes. I’ve known the guy for many years, but was still kind of taken aback.
Well that's a new one.....🤣
Sponsored