• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lifespan of ER vs. SR batteries

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
So I heard/read somewhere that batteries lifespans can be measured in charging cycles. If that is true, it seems to me that the ER truck should theoretically be more capable of longer/higher mileage lifespan without a battery replacement. My knowledge of battery technology is superficial at best but I know there are some experts in this forum, interested in others takes on this.

For instance 1000 charging cycles on an ER would put 320,000 miles on an ER, but only 230,000 on a SR truck, based on stated ranges anyway

Go!
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
battery dies a few days after warranty is over, regardless of pack size.

ā€˜There are different factors to consider with different amount of weight to each.

If you plan to get 50 miles out of each charge, that is a smaller depth of discharge on a large pack so you get slightly more cycles but having more cells statistically means higher risk of one of your cells failing.

I think, price, how much long distance travel you do, weight of the truck/payload, ā€¦. and other factors that have impact on your use should have a larger weight.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
So I heard/read somewhere that batteries lifespans can be measured in charging cycles. If that is true, it seems to me that the ER truck should theoretically be more capable of longer/higher mileage lifespan without a battery replacement. My knowledge of battery technology is superficial at best but I know there are some experts in this forum, interested in others takes on this.

For instance 1000 charging cycles on an ER would put 320,000 miles on an ER, but only 230,000 on a SR truck, based on stated ranges anyway

Go!
First, consider what the assumptions regarding the 1000 charging cycles are? Those EPA or Ford ranges are estimates and will vary greatly.

The miles per kilowatt will vary a lot depending on whether you are towing something, on the highway vs local streets, driving aggressively or like a little old lady, etc.

And lifespan is more complicated than just how many charge/discharge cycles, although that is one factor.

If I was going to drive a lot of miles beyond the average US driver which is somewhere around 12k per year, I'd probably want to lease rather than buy because of the battery degradation issues I'd encounter, assuming I was doing a lot of fast DC charging on long trips.

Using the 12k average per years driven, the example of 230,000 miles for the SR battery is almost 20 years! The 320k is about 6 or 7 years longer. So if one doesn't drive a lot more than the average, on long trips, it is hard to justify the ER battery costs in my book (at my age if I live 20 more, I'll be happy).

An very important factor affecting lifespan is related to battery temperature - fast DC charging will put more heat stress on the battery than slow L2 charging, for example.

Charging when the battery is already 'hot' will stress it which is why 'they' always recommend letting the battery cool down after driving around before charging.

Even with active cooling, there is a limit to how much active cooling can do.

Early Nissan Leaf's did not have any active cooling, and owners in very hot climates (AZ, CA) had early battery degradation issues as a result.

That said, there are plenty of older EVs (e.g., Tesla's and Nissan Leaf's) out there still running on their first Li battery - age is apparently not as significant a factor as they used to think, it more about use - that is, the type of charge cycles as well as how many, ambient temperature, the way the vehicle is driven, etc.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 āš”XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
In layman terms.

Charge only every two to three days depending on driving conditions. Always use 110-220v and never any supercharger. Those kill life of the battery quicker than expected. But each battery pack has lifespan of its own and unique lifecycle makeup per owner and how they charge and drive.

Like harmful triglycerides to the body, people donā€™t know they are harming them slowly over time, but some quicker than others depending on lack of diet and exercise.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lifespan of ER vs. SR batteries IMG_5144

Sponsored

StrikesTwice

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW GTI / 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
In layman terms.

Charge only every two to three days depending on driving conditions. Always use 110-220v and never any supercharger. Those kill life of the battery quicker than expected. But each battery pack has lifespan of its own and unique lifecycle makeup per owner and how they charge and drive.

Like harmful triglycerides to the body, people donā€™t know they are harming them slowly over time, but some quicker than others depending on lack of diet and exercise.

IMG_5144.jpeg
Whether you charge 20% nightly or 60% every third night makes no differenceā€¦itā€™s the same amount of battery cycled.

Itā€™s anecdotal, but the more you read about it, the more you realize that the harmful effects of DC fast charging have been greatly exaggerated. There are a lot of abused, high-mileages teslas out there with minimal degradation. The effort to avoid dc charging may not be worth the squeeze.

If you just charge your truck regularly, at home, when itā€™s convenientā€¦to a reasonable percentage that fits your lifestyle, minimize your dc charging when itā€™s needed, and maintain your truck per fordā€™s recommendationsā€¦.its going to last a long time and should be a pleasurable ownership. Donā€™t sweat the details.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 āš”XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
Whether you charge 20% nightly or 60% every third night makes no differenceā€¦itā€™s the same amount of battery cycled.

Itā€™s anecdotal, but the more you read about it, the more you realize that the harmful effects of DC fast charging have been greatly exaggerated. There are a lot of abused, high-mileages teslas out there with minimal degradation. The effort to avoid dc charging may not be worth the squeeze.

If you just charge your truck regularly, at home, when itā€™s convenientā€¦to a reasonable percentage that fits your lifestyle, minimize your dc charging when itā€™s needed, and maintain your truck per fordā€™s recommendationsā€¦.its going to last a long time and should be a pleasurable ownership. Donā€™t sweat the details.
Yes, not to experienced with Ford yet, the advice I had was from owning a used 2018 Model 3 LR. I would charge at Superchargers as needed for trips but did see a little battery degradation topping off. So mostly just charged daily or once every few days in the summer. Take care.

OP
OP
JPro

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
I have to imagine that unless your Kyle Connor with Out of Spec, most people charge a majority at home as opposed to DC fast charging. I was just wondering all factors being equal, theoretically if the ER truck is more likely of going say 400,000 miles, Iā€™m currently driving 20k per year, the SR currently suits my needs just fine but was just wondering if it was a tradeoff in longevity.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I mean, all things being equal, if your driving is 100% the same regardless of which range you chose, baring some random ass defect, the ER is going to have a longer lifespan than the SR.

But we don't really know what to expect on average yet, because the oldest Lightnings are not really old enough yet to project much.
Sponsored