• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

JBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I was really surprised to see the amount of layers between the cooling plate and the battery cells. It seems even less advanced than what was in the Chevy Bolt.
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I was really surprised to see the amount of layers between the cooling plate and the battery cells. It seems even less advanced than what was in the Chevy Bolt.
Having torn down many battery packs including several Bolt packs, and watching the teardown of the F150 Lightning pack (I will be tearing one down in the next 6 months), I'm not sure why you think there are more layers in this pack from a Bolt pack. Maybe you missed the thermal transfer material used between the cold plate and the heat sinks from a Bolt pack?

JBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Having torn down many battery packs including several Bolt packs, and watching the teardown of the F150 Lightning pack (I will be tearing one down in the next 6 months), I'm not sure why you think there are more layers in this pack from a Bolt pack. Maybe you missed the thermal transfer material used between the cold plate and the heat sinks from a Bolt pack?
The cooling plate they show runs along the bottom of the pack while the Volt have fins between the stacked cells.

That effectively increases the surface area in contact with the cells improving heat transfer. Though it seems they did away with the complexity for the Bolt, and most manufacturers have done the same.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The cooling plate they show runs along the bottom of the pack while the Volt have fins between the stacked cells.

That effectively increases the surface area in contact with the cells improving heat transfer. Though it seems they did away with the complexity for the Bolt, and most manufacturers have done the same.
The cooling plate will not just be cooling the bottom of the cell. Think of an L-shaped metal plate where a small portion sits on the cold (or warming) plate while the large part will cover the entire side of a cell. I really wish I could post a picture of some of the other packs.

For the Volt, my first thought while tearing it down was 'That's a lot of O rings'.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
"The cooling plate will not just be cooling the bottom of the cell. Think of an L-shaped metal plate where a small portion sits on the cold (or warming) plate while the large part will cover the entire side of a cell. I really wish I could post a picture of some of the other packs."

I think such a L-shaped metal plate would be significantly more efficient. The fabric of the pouch cell has very little of it's total surface area touching the thermal paste. The module is very dense, and the cooling area is certainly limited.
https://www.youtube.com/@WeberAuto
Weber Auto has several good videos of the Mach E battery pack and highlights how Ford has changed the internals of the battery over just a year or so.
I seems to me your L-shaped heat transfer device would be a good further improvement.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
"The cooling plate will not just be cooling the bottom of the cell. Think of an L-shaped metal plate where a small portion sits on the cold (or warming) plate while the large part will cover the entire side of a cell. I really wish I could post a picture of some of the other packs."

I think such a L-shaped metal plate would be significantly more efficient. The fabric of the pouch cell has very little of it's total surface area touching the thermal paste. The module is very dense, and the cooling area is certainly limited.
https://www.youtube.com/@WeberAuto
Weber Auto has several good videos of the Mach E battery pack and highlights how Ford has changed the internals of the battery over just a year or so.
I seems to me your L-shaped heat transfer device would be a good further improvement.
The L-shaped plate is used on several vehicles including the Bolt and Mach-E. I fully expect it to be used on the Lightning, but since this is an Sk Innovations designed pack, it would be the first I have seen from them. The only pack from SK Innovations I have taken apart was the Kia Soul with forced air cooling.
Sponsored