• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning v. Mach-E: Same Miles/kWH??

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
Friends: Having both a 2022 Lightning Lariat ER and a 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE, I've noticed they get roughly the same miles per kWH on long freeway trips, around 2.2 M/kWH. How could that be?

If M/kWH is the equivalent of MPG in ICE cars, then the truck should get far lower M/kWH than the smaller and lighter SUV, right?

Sure, the battery pack in the Lightning is larger (131 kWH) than the Mustang Mach-E (91 kWH). But isn't that just the equivalent of a bigger gas tank on an ICE truck than an SUV?

Since the electric motors in the Lightning are bigger (350 kW) than the Mach-E (200 kW), I'd expect them to use more electrical energy, just like the ICE F-150 has a bigger engine and uses more gas than my son's Ford Edge SUV.

So why am I getting the same M/kWH in both vehicles?? What am I missing here? Perhaps M/kWH isn't the equivalent of MPG in ICE vehicles?
Sponsored

Reactions: s_c

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You are missing nothing. The Lighting is approximately 40% less efficient.

What you state is not possible unless:

- You're driving much, much faster in the Mach-E.
- You're comparing Mach-E in dead of winter to Lightning in summer.
- You're relying on the Mach-E's "this trip" data...
- Your Mach-E has a problem and needs work done.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
You're right about mpg vs mi/kWh. The Mach E *should* get better efficiency in general, but the GTPE does have higher performance tires and such that hurt efficiency. Still should be better, though, according to EPA:

Mach E GTPE: 41 kWh/100 miles = 2.43 mi/kWh
Lightning ER: 48 kWh/100 miles = 2.08 mi/kWh

On top of that, the gap should get bigger on the highway (and EPA's city/highway mpge numbers agree).

These numbers include charging losses, so in-car results should be better, but yeah, looks like the Mach E is underperforming for some reason to only match the Lightning on the highway.

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
But isn't that far less difference than an ICE F-150 v. an ICE SUV like my son's Ford Edge?
2.43mi/kWh is only ~16% better than 2.08mi/kWh, but surprisingly, a "normal" F-150 is 19-20mpg combined vs an Edge at ~23mpg, which is a similar ~15%.

I would have expected a bigger gap, for sure. That probably comes down to the Edge being pretty inefficient for it's size. 23mpg combined for a midsize gas crossover seems pretty bad.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Heritage Bronco, 23' GC Limited
So why am I getting the same M/kWH in both vehicles?? What am I missing here? Perhaps M/kWH isn't the equivalent of MPG in ICE vehicles?
The Mach-E GTPE is insanely inefficient. One of the worst of the EVs I've owned and I've owned too many lol. I barely achieved 2.5 mi/kWh in daily commuting (80% going 60-65mph) in the GTPE whereas with the Mach-E Premium AWD ER I'd achieve 3.3 mi/kWh easily.

It's the performance tires and overpowered permanent magnet motors.
Sponsored