• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mileage Limit For EV Tax Credit?

dustinroyer

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E, 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Teacher
I am looking at a “new” ‘22 Lightning Lariat that was a dealer mannequin. The dealer claims it was never titled. They’re offering it for sale with 11,564 miles.

I’ve read through the IRS documentation for the EV tax credit, and I haven’t seen mention of a mileage limit for a vehicle being considered new, only that the vehicle cannot have been titled previously.

Is there a mileage limit for taking the tax credit? The dealer doesn’t seem to know much about the regulations. It’s a small-town dealership that doesn’t seem to sell too many EVs.
Sponsored

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
I am neither a CPA nor an IRS agent, but looked into this when I bought my mannequin w 2xxx miles on it. As far as I could tell, all the language refers explicitly to titling, not mileage, and there does not appear to be any issue with claiming the full credit on demo trucks (or cars, for that matter) that are sold as new, never titled.

One thing I might suggest for some peace of mind would be to run a Carfax report on the truck; the report will tell you if that truck *has* been titled, so you don't just get an "Oops, sorry about that, nothing we can do about it now." if and when it goes that way... worth the small price to ensure the truck does qualify.

OP
OP

dustinroyer

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E, 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Teacher
One thing I might suggest for some peace of mind would be to run a Carfax report on the truck; the report will tell you if that truck *has* been titled, so you don't just get an "Oops, sorry about that, nothing we can do about it now." if and when it goes that way... worth the small price to ensure the truck does qualify.
Great idea. I just ran one and want to make sure I’m reading it correctly. If it has been titled, in the “Detailed History” section, it would state “Title Issued,” correct?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
There is no mileage limit.

As to a CarFax, mine with a title shows "Registration issued or renewed. - Titled or registered as a personal lease vehicle".

Last edited:

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Great idea. I just ran one and want to make sure I’m reading it correctly. If it has been titled, in the “Detailed History” section, it would state “Title Issued,” correct?
Been a couple months since I pulled one but yes, I believe it would show there, and there is also a section titled Ownership History and that section would show Owner 1 Owner 2 etc at the top of the columns if there had been any priors. Good luck, you will love the truck!

Sponsored

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
When I bought my untitled 22 in Sept w/3k miles, I got the 30d signed form from the dealer showing the vehicle was eligible for the full $7500 rebate. I did title searches online as well as a Carfax and could not find that it had been titled. It turns out it wasn't titled in the end, so I shouldn't have any issues. Assuming that one is untitled, the only real drawback is the warranty starts from when they put it in service and not when you buy it. Mine had lost 9 months of warranty when I bought it. Any extended warranties you buy start from that in service date as well.

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rodeo clown
...the only real drawback is the warranty starts from when they put it in service and not when you buy it. Mine had lost 9 months of warranty when I bought it. Any extended warranties you buy start from that in service date as well.
Worth it for Atlas Blue ;)
Sponsored