• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
All of us who live with the Lightning know how speed kills range, but it's still kinda shocking to see it in a graph and see that every 5mph takes about 10% more off or range. Add some battery degradation as it ages, plus some cold weather, and we're talking less than 200 mile range at 75mph.

Here is the graph with calculated SR ranges:

1706088083678.png
Only 50 miles of extra range at 80 mph for ER makes me feel better about going with SR. Well, that is until I get stranded 49 miles away from a charger ;)
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Would love to see this graph include low speed results for around town driving. I wonder if the same slope continues or if it flattens out. The average range loss for every 5MPH is about 25MI according to this data. Could the truck beat 400MI range for city driving?
Around town, the chart is irrelevant because the whole point of it was comparing the time you lose charging to the time you lose going slow. Around town you don’t lose any time charging at home.

That said, based on this, you can go over 400 Miles in town easily (with ER);

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...lenge-high-score-3-4-life-time-avg-2-7.16308/

But range is what you need out of town.

ccough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Geoscientist
Great to see these data presented. Very helpful for summer travel; the numbers appear to be similar to those expected during warm weather and drier roads (also, the publication date leans this direction!).

Have been (piecemeal) trying to gather data from the truck at different temperature conditions (and dry vs wet road conditions) and construct multiple curves for multiple ambient states. Would be curious to see more data on this, which helps significantly with trip planning. I still like to manually run the numbers and vet potential chargers on plugshare (based on past experiences).

azypather

First Name
Azy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Merc GLe 350, 2018 VW Golf SE, 2023 F150 - L
Occupation
IT Consultant
Nice to see the data presented that way. If I have to drastically change the way I drive just to eke out a few extra miles, it's simply not worth the hassle. I have a SR, drive it like normal which is 95% of the time. I charge it at home...yet to use a public charger. And whenever I need to go further than 70 miles from home (interstate) I use a my ICE vehicle. Focussing on the range and public charging issues will do nothing more than prevent me from enjoying the best vehicle I've ever owned!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here is the new Porsche Taycan range. Will do 500 mile in good conditions at this speed.

Ford F-150 Lightning MotorTrend's 2023 F-150 Lightning XLT Yearlong Review - Speed vs Range Study for Road Trips 1707008402356