• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
The problem with this scenario is that it is highly unlikely the DCFC will be available and working at exactly the right interval. for 15min stops. The more times you have to stop and the more times you're plugging in, starting the unit, etc. the more risk something will go wrong(I'm looking at you EA).

In addition you lose any time advantage you may have when you add in time to exit the highway, drive to the DCFC(hopefully close to the exit), exit vehicle, start charge sequence, drive back to highway, etc. That can easily add 5-10min onto every stop....which means if you're doing that 13x vs 8x (or 6x) its not worth it to stop for a 15min charge.

If you're stopping anyway..sure plug it in and get a splash a electrons while you stretch, go pee, grab a burger, etc. but I'm failing to see where it works in practice stopping for all 15min. With a flat curve to 80%..if you've got a good charging session going..just leave it until the charging curve drops.

@tommolog -- this would be a good idea for one of Kyle's "vegas" challenges..... multiple short stops vs. long deep charges. On EVs with a flat curve(aka e-tron, Lightning, etc) I'm thinking deep charge is faster in the real world
With the Lightning's relatively flat charging curve up to 80%, it would be better to charge up to that, rather than multiple short stops which can be a better strategy with some other EVs.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
With the Lightning's relatively flat charging curve up to 80%, it would be better to charge up to that, rather than multiple short stops which can be a better strategy with some other EVs.
My thoughts exactly. Ford made it really easy to figure out-- plug it in and leave it to 80%.

No Kyle style charger hopping needed to get maximum speed...

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I found 65 to be a pretty good speed for long distance, would get me 2.2-2.3 miles per kwh and I prefer longer stops for charging instead of constant stopping

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Took my SR on a 1500 mile trip to central Maine. I drove until I had about a 40 or so mile buffer but for the most part gave the Ford nav a shot and it didn't really disappoint until the way home when it routed me to two Nissan dealers with what appeared to be 25kW chargers and one on the Mass turnpike that didn't exist.

Until the last two hours of the drive I got 2.3mi/kWh for the entire trip but between NYC and DE I went 80mph so it dropped the trips efficiency to 2.2

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ya, there is a point between charging more or driving longer.

I really want an airspeed indicator, that's where the savings are, if you have a good tailwind you'll save a ton of energy VS trying to keep 70mph groundspeed in a 20 mph headwind.
Swap the antenna for a pitot tube!

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I found 65 to be a pretty good speed for long distance, would get me 2.2-2.3 miles per kwh and I prefer longer stops for charging instead of constant stopping
I was a let’s get in and out person on road trips with my ICE truck. As I got a little older I am looking at it differently, but even with the Lightning, I am thinking mode over a 20-30 minute pit stop and snack type charge every 2-3 hours, then a 40-50 minute deep charge on the 4-5 hr mark for sit down food. Happy middle road.

Now all that is out if I can plan charging stops in a new town I want to explore 😊
Sponsored