• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My 2023 Lightning Lariat is getting a battery pack replacement!

Fireetr73

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lariat Lighting
Occupation
Firefighter
Wow. Seems like your experience dealing with this can really vary based on the dealership?
To be honest, the dealership has been pretty good. It’s Ford that has been dragging their feet on making decisions on what to do. The dealership has kept me informed along the way. i’ve put 9000 miles on four different loaners. All brand new F150s.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Wow, 9000 miles? That's a lot of free depreciation cost. :)

AI_Speed

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
I started the process last week. I went into the dealer a few days later to pick something up I had left in the last loaner and had and the service manager bring me into his office and tell me that Ford had reached out and was deciding on buy it back. He advised me to continue to pursue the buy back. Today, for the first time in 93 days, I received pictures from my service agent of them working on the modules🤷🏻‍♂️. I’ll keep you guys posted.
Amazing - so what Ford number did you call to start the buy back process? And was the main issue just the one battery problem?

AI_Speed

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
Wow. Seems like your experience dealing with this can really vary based on the dealership?
Same here except the dealership is average but I give them 5/5 ratings to get the best from them. Have you considered pursuing a buy back on your vehicle?

Last edited:

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
My dealer had the module replacement approved from Ford and ordered the next day after i dropped it off. There isn’t much else they can do, now it’s waiting for Ford to ship the module.

Sponsored

Freddyfresh

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Construction
Interesting - some clarification. A full pack? I bet they retract that and you end up with a module out of a pack or maybe two. I don't think we've seen a full pack.

Second - they "rented" you a truck and didn't put you in it as a loaner?

I hope this is quick and painless for you, but thinking this has already started off on a load of bad information.
I have the same problem and technician did say only bad module of the battery pack not the entire pack.

Fireetr73

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lariat Lighting
Occupation
Firefighter
Amazing - so what Ford number did you call to start the buy back process? And was the main issue just the one battery problem?
In Florida, to submit a lemon law claim regarding Ford you go through BBB Auto line. That is the arbitration company they use. I put the claim there and hired a lawyer to take over. I’ll keep the board updated. The service manager told me they have processed a few of these already and said that Ford has been accepting the buy back before it get to the arbitrator. That way they keep a clean title.🤷🏻‍♂️, we’ll see.

AI_Speed

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
In Florida, to submit a lemon law claim regarding Ford you go through BBB Auto line. That is the arbitration company they use. I put the claim there and hired a lawyer to take over. I’ll keep the board updated. The service manager told me they have processed a few of these already and said that Ford has been accepting the buy back before it get to the arbitrator. That way they keep a clean title.🤷🏻‍♂️, we’ll see.
Thank you - and the lawyer fee is nominal and paid by Ford?

OP
OP

chickenlives

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Update Feb-08
Went to Ford to get some stuff out of my truck. I talked to the tech that has been working on my truck. Here's what he told me.
They plug the car in and both he and Ford Central see and diagnose the problem together. There is some back and forth diagnosis going on. It was determined that a battery module did fail. The dealership service department then waits for Ford Central to order the part and the dealership waits to be notified as to when it does get ordered. Mine got ordered today. The tech said he's handled several of these module replacements and that there was a faulty run of these modules in 2023. I guess Ford has found and addressed this.
Feb-16
Truck is ready for pickup.
Six total recall items addressed including a battery module replacement.

I consider myself lucky. They had my truck for 16 days. Seems like this dealership is on thr ball. Now fingers crossed 🤞 another battery module doesn't go bad. I'm optimistic. Here's a recap of what happened.

F150 repair history

Jan-31 2024
Truck started up with 2 warning, one being “high voltage battery warning” and would not drive. Had it towed to SJC ford. They said they were busy and would look at it tomorrow.
Feb-01
Called at noon and they said I still had 6 cars ahead of me. I complained and they moved it up.
Later that afternoon the service agent called and said I needed a battery replacement. He coordinated me getting a truck from Enterprise. I got a 2024 F150 ICE.
He said the part would be ordered and would take 1-3 weeks.
Feb-05
I called and left voicemail with service agent to call me back and give me details of the repair. He didn't return my call.
Feb-06
I called back twice and finally got Mitchell. He looked up the parts ordered. They were:
- High voltage battery module.
- Battery energy control module.
Feb-07
Received call for Ford Recall dept. They saw my truck warnings and reached out to coordinate me bringing the truck in for a fix. I informed them of what jad already transpired. They gave me the following info.
My case number 476 893 96
Recall Id 23 B57. He has handled 108 of these himself.
Recall phone. 833-807-3673
Feb-08
Went to Ford to get some stuff out of my truck. I talked to the tech that has been working on my truck. Here's what he told me.
They plug the car in and both he and Ford Central see and diagnose the problem together. There is some back and forth diagnosis going on. It was determined that a battery module did fail. The dealership service department then waits for Ford Central to order the part and the dealership waits to be notified as to when it does get ordered. Mine got ordered today. The tech said he's handled several of these module replacements and that there was a faulty run of these modules in 2023. I guess Ford has found and addressed this.

Feb-16
Six total recall items addressed including a battery module replace
ment.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Feb-16

I consider myself lucky. They had my truck for 16 days. Seems like this dealership is on thr ball. Now fingers crossed 🤞 another battery module doesn't go bad. I'm optimistic. Here's a recap of what happened.

F150 repair history

Jan-31 2024
Truck started up with 2 warning, one being “high voltage battery warning” and would not drive. Had it towed to SJC ford. They said they were busy and would look at it tomorrow.
Feb-01
Called at noon and they said I still had 6 cars ahead of me. I complained and they moved it up.
Later that afternoon the service agent called and said I needed a battery replacement. He coordinated me getting a truck from Enterprise. I got a 2024 F150 ICE.
Feb-05
I called and left voicemail with service agent to call me back and give me details of the repair. He didn't return my call.
Feb-06
I called back twice and finally got Mitchell. He looked up the parts ordered. They were:
Feb-07
Received call for Ford Recall dept. They saw my truck warnings and reached out to coordinate me bringing the truck in for a fix. I informed them of what jad already transpired. They gave me the following info.
Feb-08

Feb-16
ment.

Almost exactly the same story here, slightly shortened time frame. Dropped off 2/5, picked up 2/16. They took care of all of the recalls that were open (I believe).

-HVB module (Module 1, Cell 6 failure)
-Battery monitor sensor (BMS) replacement
-Windshield wiper motor replacement
-Rear light bar replacement

I also had them replace the cabin filter to the tune of $103 😵. LOL, what the hell, might as well throw them bone. They don't get much real service work on EVs. 😄

ETA: Being without the truck for 10 days made me realize how much I love this truck. Hopefully this was an anomaly. 🤞

Sponsored

AI_Speed

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
Almost exactly the same story here, slightly shortened time frame. Dropped off 2/5, picked up 2/16. They took care of all of the recalls that were open (I believe).

-HVB module (Module 1, Cell 6 failure)
-Battery monitor sensor (BMS) replacement
-Windshield wiper motor replacement
-Rear light bar replacement

I also had them replace the cabin filter to the tune of $103 😵. LOL, what the hell, might as well throw them bone. They don't get much real service work on EVs. 😄

ETA: Being without the truck for 10 days made me realize how much I love this truck. Hopefully this was an anomaly. 🤞
More like the reality.

AI_Speed

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
Feb-16

F150 repair history

Jan-31 2024
Feb-01
Feb-05
Feb-06
Feb-07
Feb-08

Feb-16
ment.

Sometimes you wait while they wait for a part to come in like a 12v battery in my case.

OP
OP

chickenlives

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Sorry if I missed this info but what was it that Ford couldn't fix on your lightning that brought you to this point?