• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My 2023 Lightning Lariat is getting a battery pack replacement!

chickenlives

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
After getting a "High Voltage battery warning" message when I started my truck one morning a few days ago, I had to have my truck towed to my Ford dealership. It was no longer drivable. After looking at it for a few hours they determined I needed a full battery pack replacement. I've had the truck for 13+ months without issue. I drove it the night before 50 miles with no problems. I was told It'll take 1-3 weeks for the battery to come in. They rented me an ICE 2024 F150 Lariat from Enterprise and sent me on my way.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Interesting - some clarification. A full pack? I bet they retract that and you end up with a module out of a pack or maybe two. I don't think we've seen a full pack.

Second - they "rented" you a truck and didn't put you in it as a loaner?

I hope this is quick and painless for you, but thinking this has already started off on a load of bad information.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
A full pack?
No, it's just a module replacement. A lot of people don't realize that Ford uses a modular design. The clickbait "horror stories" of cars needing $60k battery replacements has led people to believe that an ev battery is one big chunk.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Nice that they rented you another vehicle. Looks like your well taken care of.

OP
OP

chickenlives

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Interesting - some clarification. A full pack? I bet they retract that and you end up with a module out of a pack or maybe two. I don't think we've seen a full pack.

Second - they "rented" you a truck and didn't put you in it as a loaner?

I hope this is quick and painless for you, but thinking this has already started off on a load of bad information.
My service agent didn't know the details other than calling it a battery pack. But I hope you are correct and it's just a module. I don't have a lot of confidence that the service department has much expertise dealing with EVs. When I asked the agent if they see this failure much he said "The lightning is new to us" which makes sense.

They didn't have a comparable loaner truck so they used Enterprise to get me one. On their dime of course. I appreciate the effort.

He said 1-3 weeks but I'm worried that they may not get this right on their first attempt to repair. I'll update this thread as things happen. I've been using this dealership for many years and like them (Tuttle Click Ford in San Juan Capistrano). They serviced my last F150 for 13 years without issue.

Sponsored

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
My service agent didn't know the details other than calling it a battery pack. But I hope you are correct and it's just a module. I don't have a lot of confidence that the service department has much expertise dealing with EVs. When I asked the agent if they see this failure much he said "The lightning is new to us" which makes sense.

They didn't have a comparable loaner truck so they used Enterprise to get me one. On their dime of course. I appreciate the effort.

He said 1-3 weeks but I'm worried that they may not get this right on their first attempt to repair. I'll update this thread as things happen. I've been using this dealership for many years and like them (Tuttle Click Ford in San Juan Capistrano). They serviced my last F150 for 13 years without issue.
If this is their first time removing a Lightning battery Ford might send a tech to make sure it's done right. In fact, you might want to speak with the service manager in person and quiz him down. It's not a super technical repair but if they skip any steps (like the thermal paste for example) it could cause big problems down the road.

Fireetr73

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lariat Lighting
Occupation
Firefighter
Hello, I came on today for this exact issue. I took my 2022 Lariat lighting into the dealer for some outstanding recalls in the beginning of November and it has morphed into replacing cells in the battery. It has been a nightmare of excuses and changing in and out of loaners every week. I was told that it was a software issue a bunch times and that a factory engineer has flown in to work the issue three or four times. I was supposed to pick it up today and was told that now some cells have to be changed. Problem is, they can't find any cells. I reached out to an attorney. Anybody else having this issue besides the OP and myself?

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
How many miles had you put on your Lightning before you had the problem?

Sponsored

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
After getting a "High Voltage battery warning" message when I started my truck one morning a few days ago, I had to have my truck towed to my Ford dealership. It was no longer drivable. After looking at it for a few hours they determined I needed a full battery pack replacement. I've had the truck for 13+ months without issue. I drove it the night before 50 miles with no problems. I was told It'll take 1-3 weeks for the battery to come in. They rented me an ICE 2024 F150 Lariat from Enterprise and sent me on my way.
Just curious, mine is in the shop right now awaiting a new battery module after receiving the wrench of death. I had an October 2022 build date and did receive all the software updates. What build group was yours made in?

OP
OP

chickenlives

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Just curious, mine is in the shop right now awaiting a new battery module after receiving the wrench of death. I had an October 2022 build date and did receive all the software updates. What build group was yours made in?
I took possession Dec 2023. Our build dates I'm guessing were close.

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Chickenlives,
I’m curious, what kind of driving do you do on a regular basis? Around town, highway, off-road.
Let us know if you can what your typical drive with the Lighting was like.
Thanks and hope all this gets resolved for you soon.
P.S. You took possession in December of 2022, right? 20k in two months would be extreme!

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
If they truly were replacing the WHOLE battery pack, that might be a good thing.

You would have a fresh battery! With zero hours on it.
Presumably one better than then the one you had.
Sponsored