• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New tonneau bed cover installed, range has increased

heelyeah

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Bronco; 22 F150 Lightning; 21 Jeep JT (wife's)
Details? Exact figures?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Makes sense, just like adding one to the ICE increases mpg

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Not to say it didn't improve. But for an ev the range of 2.2 to 2.5 would be within normal flucations.

Just a little bit of wind will have range sway one way or the other.
Agree, 2.2-2.5 means city driving mostly, bed cover shouldn't play big role. Should compare freeway 70mph or faster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BIGBIGSURGE

BIGBIGSURGE

First Name
SERGIO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2021 Mach-E GT, ioniq
Not to say it didn't improve. But for an ev the range of 2.2 to 2.5 would be within normal flucations.

Just a little bit of wind will have range sway one way or the other.
Iā€™ve got over 3,000 miles on my truck, I think I can figure out what itā€™s doing

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
All scientific tests show that bed covers do not increase mileage, they reduce it. Not "logical" but both mythbusters and consumer reports have proven this. I also use Retrax covers, for other reasons, but do not count on increased mileage/range.

Sponsored

RDeFran

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 SRW Duramax, 2010 M3
Occupation
Technician
I have the type M Roll-N-Lock sitting here waiting for a truck

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
All scientific tests show that bed covers do not increase mileage, they reduce it. Not "logical" but both mythbusters and consumer reports have proven this. I also use Retrax covers, for other reasons, but do not count on increased mileage/range.
There is a lot of science behind it, but theres a reason the 3rd tail light and tailgate is designed in th exact way that it is.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I havenā€™t seen any scientific tests on the effect of bed covers. Can you point me to one?

Of course the issue with any test on aerodynamics is that it will be truck specific so even a good study wouldnā€™t necessarily be relevant to the Lightning.

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Platinum, ā€˜21 Aviator, ā€˜23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
I havenā€™t noticed any decrease in my mileage after getting my tonneau cover installed. Just going through my logs this is from the morning after I had it installed..
Ford F-150 Lightning New tonneau bed cover installed, range has increased 048FCFAA-3770-4CD8-947B-2116219C9DFF

*** edit:
Definitely not normal just a coincidence after having my cover installed. Pretty consistent 1.8-2.6 mi/kWh. I saw one in my log that read 101.1 mi/kWh on a 16 miles drive, I donā€™t believe that one for sure.

Last edited:

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
The weight of the cover negates any range increases according to TFL.
Sponsored