• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Our Next Energy (ONE)

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
This is another company I've been keeping my eye on for a while. Still hoping to get some of their cells in for testing.
While I'm not crazy about LFP, it seems to be where the market is shifting for low cost cells/packs. Just doesn't have the 'oomph' I love about NMC.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Around the 13 minute mark, you may pick up why the Bolt cells had issues and were recalled. Just a stubble hint.

Last edited:

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Around the 14 minute mark, you may pick up why the Bolt cells had issues and were recalled. Just a stubble hint.
Sounds like to me the key to any of them is temperature management. If you have a temperature management system robust enough to keep batteries at an optimum temp, it seems these issues are pretty much solved.

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I put the wrong time stamp. Should be 13 minute mark when they talk about structure.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
talk about structure
So the Bolt battery defects may have due to minor twisting of the coated electodes?

What causes the swelling? Maybe this is a good little article explaining what can happen:
https://www.grepow.com/blog/causes-of-lithium-battery-swelling.html
graphite expansion and gas?

I am surprised at how little Lithium, percentage by weight or volume, is in a "Lithium" based battery, 3% (or I also saw 11% elsewhere):
https://elements.visualcapitalist.com/the-key-minerals-in-an-ev-battery/

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes, it was the twisting of the electrodes that caused the problems. Funny thing is, we had a Bolt in for testing and dismantled the pack down to the cell level. I started to see problems during our Cycle Life testing and had several cells that had swelled. This was before all the recalls and stop charging started.

It was a great vehicle to drive. For the longest time I told tours that the Bolt was my second favorite, only behind the Model S. Of course the Lightning knocked both of those vehicles down a spot.
Sponsored