• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners: how much brake regen are you noticing?

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Now that many have settled into their Lightnings, have you noticed how much range you gain from traditional stop and go, red light/green light brake regen? I don't know if there's an actual way to see on the car how much you've regenerated, but just curious if its noticeable accumulation?

The reason I ask is because rented a Model 3 in Cali last month just to get a feel for an EV (never drove or owned one) and noticed in stop and go traffic i didn't lose any range for at least 10 miles (I stopped paying attention and forgot the miles i started at lol). Also, after going down a long foothill road, it added somewhere around 7 miles of range. I'm hoping my SR may be able to squeeze out an extra 20 or 30 miles from regen for long days of back and forth drives will little or no time to stop and charge.

(Sidenote to Ford- if there isn't a way to monitor how much regen you've accumulated during a drive, I think it would be a good feature to add to the instrument cluster. It'll show people how much/little they can regen based on adjustments to their daily route driving habits or routes.)
Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I haven’t taken delivery but just did a test drive and the Lightning has very similar regen feel to my Model 3 when put in one pedal drive mode. The Lightning regen seems practical to recoup most of the energy coasting down hills and in stop and go traffic as long as you don’t have to slam on the brakes.

When you drove the model 3 shortly without range loss it was probably the computer adjusting it’s battery calibration. Regen isn’t 100% efficient and you still use energy for city driving regardless of EV.

I believe the range estimates put out by manufacturers is a blend of city/highway and already takes into account that the regen system is fully functional. You’ll get better mileage at low speed/city driving so you should be able to get or slightly exceed rated range

OP
OP

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I haven’t taken delivery but just did a test drive and the Lightning has very similar regen feel to my Model 3 when put in one pedal drive mode. The Lightning regen seems practical to recoup most of the energy coasting down hills and in stop and go traffic as long as you don’t have to slam on the brakes.

When you drove the model 3 shortly without range loss it was probably the computer adjusting it’s battery calibration. Regen isn’t 100% efficient and you still use energy for city driving regardless of EV.

I believe the range estimates put out by manufacturers is a blend of city/highway and already takes into account that the regen system is fully functional. You’ll get better mileage at low speed/city driving so you should be able to get or slightly exceed rated range
Thanks for the feedback. Its gonna be interesting because i am the conservative driver whereas my wife has the lead foot. She may be banned from driving it.. I know her and she will test driving it down to 0 miles far away from home, get stranded, then bitch at me why we bought a truck that turns off by itself!? Maybe i should just call the dealer now and tell him I don't want the truck to save myself the future headaches.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
If you turn the "brake coach" on in the instrument panel, it will tell you how much energy is recovered during a stop, or rather how well you did at avoiding using the friction brakes when stopping. It will render a percentage of "energy recovered" during that stop, with a maximum of 100%. As COrocket said, however, regen isn't 100% efficient; the coach is just telling you if you're braking as efficiently as possible.

The good news is that lead foot driving doesn't affect your range the way it does in an ICE vehicle. As long as you stay off the friction brakes and don't drive at a higher speed than normal, you should expect very similar efficiency.

Capstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost, 2019 Nissan Leaf
From my little experience so far there is no adjustment that you can make to change the regen. However. The different drive modes do change the regen. This order maybe off because I didn’t fully test but it feels this way.

*normal mode a little regen but still feels like a norm ice vehicle and can coast.
*Tow/haul mode you get more regen same as the engine breaking found in ice trucks.
*sport mode there is then more regen for sure
*I didn’t test off road but thinking for slow movements it probably has even more regen but again my guess
Then you have 1 pedal mode which has the most regen.
Now are you going to get in the truck and place it in tow haul even though not towing. Maybe. Honestly besides the regen, traction , and acceleration response I don’t know the difference in these modes. What I am now curious about is winter with snow and ice and how to much regen can make life interestingly fast.
There is an animation on the instruments that will show amount of regen for sure

Hope that helps.
Sponsored