• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Just How In Demand ARE EV Trucks

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Car Shopper: I need 250+ miles of range
Car Salesman: for an extra $10k you can have an additional 100 miles of range
Car Shopper: I'll take it
Car Shopper: drives less than 50 miles per day

Seriously, people need to realize that 120-150 miles of range is more than adequate.
Truck Shopper: I need 250+ miles of range
Ford Salesman: for an extra $20k you can have an additional 70 miles of range
Truck Shopper: I'll take it
Truck Shopper: drives less than 50 miles per day, but they might tow something someday maybe

Jokes aside, some people will buy EVs with 120-150 miles of range and/or slow charging, BUT they're going to expect a huge discount compared to a car that's seen as a legitimate primary gas replacement covering trips and such.

The Leaf or Bolt or MINI are good cars, but they're just not going to sell in substantial numbers when they aren't seen by buyers as cars that can do anything the buyer asks them to do... and all of them are somewhere between bad and worse for long trips compared to a gas car or EV with long range AND fast charging.

Cars like that are, at least for the next several years, going to be seen as secondary cars, and therefore will be expected to be substantially cheaper than other EVs that are seen as primary vehicles... even if both will only ever be used as secondary vehicles.

I expect that short range or slow-charging vehicles will soon be relatively uncommon because the drop in sales price in order to sell them might be higher than the cost difference to the manufacturer to just make them longer range and faster charging.

For instance, if Chevy gave the Bolt faster charging so it wasn't a hilariously pathetic for 2022 50kW, that might cost a couple thousand per unit, but they could probably sell it for $5k more with substantially more demand because it's now a legitimate mainstream trip-capable vehicle instead of being seen as relegated to a second car.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I understand what you're trying to say but I simply don't believe that mental hurdle will ever be crossed by 95% of the population. It's not logical but people aren't logical.
Oh I totally understand. It's also why so many people drive trucks and SUVs. They think their vehicle needs to do everything they could possibly imagine a vehicle to do because they are unwilling to rent something to fulfill that 1% of use cases.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Hmmmm. Maybe that explains the huge Pick-up truck ratio in places like I have spent my 6 decades. But I think there's more to it than that. Pick-up trucks are like a Camry in Texas. It's comfortable. It's roomy inside and can accommodate adults in any seat, as well as easy entrance and egress. It's easy visibility. It's safe. And yes......incredibly versatile!

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Truck Shopper: I need 250+ miles of range
Ford Salesman: for an extra $20k you can have an additional 70 miles of range
Truck Shopper: I'll take it
Truck Shopper: drives less than 50 miles per day, but they might tow something someday maybe

Jokes aside, some people will buy EVs with 120-150 miles of range and/or slow charging, BUT they're going to expect a huge discount compared to a car that's seen as a legitimate primary gas replacement covering trips and such.

The Leaf or Bolt or MINI are good cars, but they're just not going to sell in substantial numbers when they aren't seen by buyers as cars that can do anything the buyer asks them to do... and all of them are somewhere between bad and worse for long trips compared to a gas car or EV with long range AND fast charging.

Cars like that are, at least for the next several years, going to be seen as secondary cars, and therefore will be expected to be substantially cheaper than other EVs that are seen as primary vehicles... even if both will only ever be used as secondary vehicles.

I expect that short range or slow-charging vehicles will soon be relatively uncommon because the drop in sales price in order to sell them might be higher than the cost difference to the manufacturer to just make them longer range and faster charging.

For instance, if Chevy gave the Bolt faster charging so it wasn't a hilariously pathetic for 2022 50kW, that might cost a couple thousand per unit, but they could probably sell it for $5k more with substantially more demand because it's now a legitimate mainstream trip-capable vehicle instead of being seen as relegated to a second car.
I'd be interested to find out what percentage of the population ever drives more that 100 miles in a day. Ever. The last time I took a road trip was over 2 years ago and I didn't even drive my own vehicle.
I do agree that the charging speeds need to increase. This would do a lot to make a lower range vehicle compatible with a longer drive. Once there are charging stations available every 10 to 15 miles along the interstate and then I can add 100 miles of range in less than 10 minutes (I think the 800v batteries will get us to this speed). I really shouldn't need more than 150 or so miles of range. Stopping for a 15 minute break every 2 hours is not unreasonable and in fact should really be done for safety.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Again, in less densely populated areas, especially states like Texas, driving 100 miles is nothing unusual. Houston is a metropolis of 6+million and nothing is unusual about a daily commute of 50 miles one way.

Sponsored

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
As for the original question, I have a Lightning and a Silverado EV reservation, but I really just want an affordable SUV with Pro Power. So far only the ICE F150 offers Pro Power. If I could buy an ice Explorer with Pro Power, I would get that instead.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)

Seriously, people need to realize that 120-150 miles of range is more than adequate.
Maybe that 120-150 estimate would be great if it's not your only vehicle. Also keep in mind that you should only keep the battery at 90% for daily use. I've found even with "242" miles of range on a full charge, I have still been challenged by the charging infrastructure on a couple of trips, and that's on the supercharger network. In reality I don't get 242 miles. I might get 180 in the winter. That's still "enough" in most cases, but if push came to shove for certain trips, I could still drive my gas truck.

A car with half my current rated range wouldn't cut it for long trips, inconveniences aside (charging does not really bother me on long trips). Just like having a truck - I don't haul things every day, but for the 15-20 times a year I do, nothing else will do. I'd much rather just drive a car if I could.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner

I don't have an EV yet but completely agree. When I talk about getting the Lightning my friends freak out about the range and I ask them when's the last time they drove more than 250 miles in a day, and most can't answer.

Then, a question about what if I want to pull a fifth wheeler across the country, and I say I don't have a fifth wheeler, neither do they, and I doubt either of us will have one in the future.

Then the next comment is that they heard that to replace the battery it will cost $40k.

It will take a few years of EVs on the road to convince 90% of the population that they can work.

Satellite67

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat 3.5EB, 2019 Bullitt, 2019 FLHTP
Just for fun!! ?

Attachments

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
probably could have shot the same video on gas lines 100 years ago. Times are a changing, and we can lead or be dragged along.
100 years ago? Hell, just in Texas 11 months ago! And 8 months before that when the rumor was bad gas was coming up from the coast after a hurricane. And don't forget the lines across the country during the OPEC embargo in the mid 70's. 100 years ago :rolleyes:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 years ago? Hell, just in Texas 11 months ago! And 8 months before that when the rumor was bad gas was coming up from the coast after a hurricane. And don't forget the lines across the country during the OPEC embargo in the mid 70's. 100 years ago :rolleyes:
You gotta realize that folks the age of.... Well, my kids, (early 30's) were born in the 90's. So the stuff I tell them happened in their dad's youth they not only DIDN'T witness, but to them it was 100 years ago. ???

I love em, but they are hilarious

Satellite67

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat 3.5EB, 2019 Bullitt, 2019 FLHTP
probably could have shot the same video on gas lines 100 years ago. Times are a changing, and we can lead or be dragged along.
Putting my toe in the EV water with my PowerBoost.

l think it is the best way to go, semi EV for the medium term.

My wife’s car is a mild hybrid (only gives a boost, no all electric propulsion) MB and we have had several issues with the system. It has been in shop several times with interesting glitches that took at least a week to resolve.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Putting my toe in the EV water with my PowerBoost.

l think it is the best way to go, semi EV for the medium term.

My wife’s car is a mild hybrid (only gives a boost, no all electric propulsion) MB and we have had several issues with the system. It has been in shop several times with interesting glitches that took at least a week to resolve.
We have had several Ford Fusion hybrids over the years and only one hybrid issue out out of all the cars, which was an infant failure of the battery pack in the 2010 Fusion. The other cars were extremely reliable.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Or at Costco every weekend.

Or every time there’s a hurricane on the way here in FL.

Since we're doing anecdotes anyway, I’ve done long trips in several different EVs and never waited for a charger.
Sponsored