• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pop-up Trailer Towing Experience?

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Hi everyone -

I see lots of videos with the Lightning pulling large travel trailers or large loads in general, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with pulling a more traditional pop-up tent trailer? I'm thinking with the reduced weight and increased aerodynamics of a pop-up, towing a pop-up the reduction in range might be significantly less than with a large travel trailer with poor aero. Also, due to the size of the trailer, using charging stations might be easier as well.

Has anyone done this? Can you let me know what your experience was like?

Thanks!
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
In general, the smaller and lighter the trailer, the lower impact on MPG/MPkWh. There is no reason that a Lightning would differ from an ICE F-150 in that regard.

I can easily comment on your second question. The vast majority of DC charging stations are not designed for those towing a trailer. They are single parking spaces that you cannot pull through on. Therefore, you would have no choice but to unhook your trailer at each stop, otherwise the trailer would block traffic. In some cases the traffic lane outside the spaces is heavily used. In other locations, it might be much less used, but you would likely still block traffic AND block other charging spaces. It would be like an vehicle "icing" a charging space, and not good etiquette.

I can think of one EA station that had pull-through spaces, but not by design. Assuming you had the clearance, you could possibly pull through and not block anything due to the location of the spaces. But if the parking lot was full, that also would not work. See 2 pictures below.

Ford F-150 Lightning Pop-up Trailer Towing Experience? Huber Heights

Ford F-150 Lightning Pop-up Trailer Towing Experience? Harpers Station

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Even that bottom picture would have trucks blocking the second charge stall (behind the ID4).

They wouldn't block the travel lanes, however, so marginally better than the usual layout.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
From a charging standpoint, I guess I'm saying pulling up a truck with a pop-up you stand a better chance of charging without disconnecting than say with a 30ft travel trailer. I know both may block traffic.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I made two 15 mile trips at about 60 mph with my 10x5 aluminum trailer and ATV yesterday. Averaged about 1.8 miles/kWh, so not as large of an impact with a smaller trailer.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Even that bottom picture would have trucks blocking the second charge stall (behind the ID4).

They wouldn't block the travel lanes, however, so marginally better than the usual layout.
The I4 is not charging nor in a stall, it is one space over. If the truck and trailer combination was not longer than 2 parking spaces, and could make the turn and line up in the spaces, they would not block traffic at that location. It would have to use the adjoining spaces charger to line up with the front left port, but that's not an issue.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If the truck and trailer combination was not longer than 2 parking spaces, and could make the turn and line up in the spaces
Each of those pedestals is designed to service two EVs--four EVs per every two pedestals. How would a truck "pull through" like you said and avoid blocking the second charger that was in the same lane? Like I said, they wouldn't block a travel lane but they would still block a charger.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Each of those pedestals is designed to service two EVs--four EVs per every two pedestals. How would a truck "pull through" like you said and avoid blocking the second charger that was in the same lane? Like I said, they wouldn't block a travel lane but they would still block a charger.
Some sites that I've seen, say up in Maine, no one is ever there. A DCFC station that I passed the other day while up there located two DCFC in the back of the parking lot. No one was near by. I can easily see pulling up a Lightning with a trailer without blocking the parking lot or even the other station.

I think it's a case by case and depends on the locations and popularity of the chargers.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think it's a case by case and depends on the locations and popularity of the chargers.
Yeah, I'm only referring to the picture RickLightning posted and said that's the only one he knows of where a towed vehicle won't block anyone.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, EA chargers have two hoses, but only one at a time can be used. So in that second picture, you see two chargers, each facing a different way. So one vehicle pulls in on the one side, and uses either of the two chargers, and another vehicle pulls in on the other side and uses the other charger.

So, look at the two stations in the middle of the picture. One on the left has the screen facing towards a restaurant, one on the right has it facing the ID4. A truck with a trailer could pull through from the gray spaces to the right (i.e. Chili's side), see the red line I drew, and have their trailer sticking out in the gray lined spaces, but not blocking the travel lane. They could use the charger I made a red scribble on, facing away from us, but towards the left side of the F-150L. However, if they were towing a long trailer, they would be blocking the travel lane. And the approach here is doable because the lot is empty, they could come across multiple lines of spaces to get straight.
Ford F-150 Lightning Pop-up Trailer Towing Experience? Harpers Station with lines

When I relooked at the picture, the ID4 is in fact in a charging spot. The spots painted black don't line up with the other spots. They are using the right hand hose on station with the screen facing them.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, EA chargers have two hoses, but only one at a time can be used.
That's right...I forgot about that. There are two cables but only one screen per pedestal.

I don't know why they have two charge cables per pedestal since only one cable can be used.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plugshare often has pictures of a location, so you can see if you can park easily or not. I've charged well over 30 times, at 20+ EA locations, and the vast majority look like this, with a major travel lane abutting the spaces. You could NOT block that.

Ford F-150 Lightning Pop-up Trailer Towing Experience? 539117

Or this:

Ford F-150 Lightning Pop-up Trailer Towing Experience? 425323

Ford F-150 Lightning Pop-up Trailer Towing Experience? Huber Heights

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Plugshare often has pictures of a location, so you can see if you can park easily or not. I've charged well over 30 times, at 20+ EA locations, and the vast majority look like this, with a major travel lane abutting the spaces. You could NOT block that.

539117.jpg

Or this:

425323.jpg

Huber Heights.jpg

Well you probably shouldn't..but you could block it.

All kidding aside some of these EA stations I see at Wal Mart are so far back in the lot you could stick out in the aisle and not hinder traffic at all.

As always YMMV....

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well you probably shouldn't..but you could block it.

All kidding aside some of these EA stations I see at Wal Mart are so far back in the lot you could stick out in the aisle and not hinder traffic at all.

As always YMMV....
That has not been my experience. Nearly all have significant in-lot traffic where the chargers are located. Some, like Huber Heights, Ohio, are a main lane. Blocking it would likely result in Walmart security talking to you. Yes SOME are in remote areas of the lot. Or a closed Sears store parking lot. Or a closed Walmart parking lot.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
That has not been my experience. Nearly all have significant in-lot traffic where the chargers are located. Some, like Huber Heights, Ohio, are a main lane. Blocking it would likely result in Walmart security talking to you. Yes SOME are in remote areas of the lot. Or a closed Sears store parking lot. Or a closed Walmart parking lot.
As I mentioned *some* of these Wal Mart lots...

Brunswick GA WM at 10pm, I'm looking at you!!
Sponsored