• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powerboost 2.4KW upgrade to 7.2KW

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
It is my understanding that it is a hardware change on the inverter.. I think with the 2.4kw you still have an inverter under the back seat.. With the 7.2kw it's all under the truck..
The inverter under the back seat is just like my 2017 2.7 ECO in which the inverter provided AC voltage to the two plugs in the cab.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Yes.

Just like a normal fuel generator (propane/gas/diesel) you have to run the engine to make electricity for use.
Not true, the PB is *supposed* to use the battery until the load hits above a threshold OR the the 1.5kWh battery needs to recharge. I saw in a video that the truck gives you a warning that the engine will periodically turn on as needed (so you don't leave it in an enclosed garage or something else dangerous).

With the 2kW propower (any gas engine) the truck has to run all night.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Some clarifications on what is under the seats:

The Powerboost propower (2.4 or 7.2kW) will *still* have some kind of inverter under the 40% rear seat.

The non-Powerboost propower (2kW) will have an inverter under the 40% seat AND some extra components under the 60% seat. Until someone pops the plastic off the box, we don't know if that is the two 12V batteries, or just the larger invertor (though why is there still one on the 40% side?)

So NO MATTER WHAT TRUCK there is something under that 40% seat. I don't know why the PB needs it as the internal outlets are rated 20A not 400W so it is not like it needs a small inverter, unless it is STRICTLY to support that "lower power mode" on the PB Propower.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

In this video at around 7m, he starts showing the app and how it displays Propower. There is a "low power mode" that it default starts in, and supports up to 400W. So that is my theory as to why the PB still has an inverter under the 40% seat, that it is much more efficient at light loads, while the one under the chassis is only efficient at higher loads.

Jaym69

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
Occupation
Investigator
Our PB F-150 will be equipped with the standard 2.4kW setup. If we are remotely camp'n with our trailer plugged in, do we have to run the truck engine through the nite to maintain electricity to the trailer?
I believe it will only run the engine to charge the battery when needed if you leave it in generator mode all night. Better than running a portable generator all night that runs gas constantly.

I have not tested mine yet, but that is what I understand to be true.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2020 LexusRX350; 2021 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Yes.

Just like a normal fuel generator (propane/gas/diesel) you have to run the engine to make electricity for use.
That is not correct. Only the PowerBoost will run as needed to keep the battery charged, that is for the 2.4kw and the 7.2kw. Where are you people getting some of this information from?

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
That is not correct. Only the PowerBoost will run as needed to keep the battery charged, that is for the 2.4kw and the 7.2kw. Where are you people getting some of this information from?

I've got the 2.0kwh on the 3.5L EB. I think that is the difference, I have to run my engine for the generator to work correctly. I will re-test once it warms up some more and snow/ice melts.

OP
OP
satexas

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
I've got the 2.0kwh on the 3.5L EB. I think that is the difference, I have to run my engine for the generator to work correctly. I will re-test once it warms up some more and snow/ice melts.
Of course, because unlike the Powerboost, you don’t have a huge battery pack on your undercarriage.

Powerboost is a hybrid.

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
My sales guy told me that the 7kw is something they do at dealership.
for what that is worth

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
My sales guy told me that the 7kw is something they do at dealership.
for what that is worth
This is not true. It is a non-trivial upgrade from 2.4 to 7.2. In another thread, it was said the cables are larger and the inverter is different on top of the external differences.

Sponsored

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
This is not true. It is a non-trivial upgrade from 2.4 to 7.2. In another thread, it was said the cables are larger and the inverter is different on top of the external differences.
I took it at face value

Mjulian06

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Powerboost
The upgrade from the "build your own" tool on the website is only $750. What I want to know is: how much does it cost to upgrade from a 2.4kw to a 7.2kw after you purchase the vehicle? I keep looking for an answer and no one seems to have an answer. From what I've read here, it really isn't a substantial job. Replacing the wires, inverter, hardware in the truck bed, and software isn't that big of a deal. It should only take a service guy that is familiar with the vehicle a couple of hours.

Has anyone done it on theirs?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2020 LexusRX350; 2021 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
The upgrade from the "build your own" tool on the website is only $750. What I want to know is: how much does it cost to upgrade from a 2.4kw to a 7.2kw after you purchase the vehicle? I keep looking for an answer and no one seems to have an answer. From what I've read here, it really isn't a substantial job. Replacing the wires, inverter, hardware in the truck bed, and software isn't that big of a deal. It should only take a service guy that is familiar with the vehicle a couple of hours.

Has anyone done it on theirs?
Your idea of a big deal is far different from mine. Lol

There are many expensive parts that would have to be removed and new expensive parts added plus labor at whatever their rate is ($60-$80 per hr). If you don't have it done by Ford you void your warranty. The removed parts would just be yours then.

I would bet, it seriously would be in the 2k-3k range to be honest.

I had read several stories of people adding tow mirrors to trucks that did come with them. Most were stating prices just short of $1800, the option is $250.

Did you order the PowerBoost without the 7.2kw or something?
Sponsored