• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Upgrade to 50 amp

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Thanks for the replies. But I’ve used adapters (dog bone) before that enabled me to plug my 50 amp RV to a 30 amp plug. While that does allow me to plug in, if I were to draw more than 30 amps, I would flip the circuit breaker. Seems that the same would occur with the PB. I’m not an electrician but it seems to me that if the PB can deliver 240v at 30amp (7.2 kw) that it should also be able to deliver 120v at 50amp (6 kw). 6 kw would be enough to power two rv a/c units. I’m wondering if there is a way to upgrade the the circuit breaker at the PB to 50 amp?
It doesn’t work this way! Travel Trailers that run on 30 amps are only using 120 volts. The bigger trailers with 50 amps run on 240 volts. The 240 volts is split into 120 volts at the trailers electrical panel
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
It doesn’t work this way! Travel Trailers that run on 30 amps are only using 120 volts. The bigger trailers with 50 amps run on 240 volts. The 240 volts is split into 120 volts at the trailers electrical panel
Right. And if my math is correct, these larger trailers are being fed the equivalent energy (in watts) of 100A at 120V (100A X 120V = 12,000 watts; 50A X 240V = 12,000 watts). This is about half the amps a modest house's electrical system provides and waaaaaay more than the PB can handle all at once.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 XLT SuperCab; ordered 2022 Lariat SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
If you have an RV with the typical 50A RV shore-power cord/plug, you can connect that to your 7.2kW Powerboost using this single simple adaptor.

BUT there's nothing you can do to increase the total load capacity of the 7.2kW Powerboost. Therefore, when using such an adaptor, you will be limited to 30A load (3600W) on each 120V leg of the electrical system in the RV (and/or 30A load (7200W) on the 240v circuit IF your RV actually has any 240V appliances).

IF you exceed an actual load of 30A on either 120V leg in your RV, or a total of 7200W between all 120V legs and any 240V circuit, the protective devices on the Powerboost should 'trip' to protect the vehicle systems.

The distribution of loads in your RV between the 120V legs is determined by the wiring system in each RV and may vary. It may be possible that one could 'trip' one leg of 120V power but not the other if only one leg is overloaded (exceeds the 30A/3600W Maximum).

You can butcher your Powerboost to try and replace your OE NEMA L14-30R outlet with a NEMA 15-50R outlet; you can try all sorts of shenanigans with 'wye' cords plugged into multiples of the Powerboost outlets; but nothing will allow it to deliver more than it's rated 30A/7.2kW Maximum load (120V plus 240V aggregate); no matter what, you will have to manage your actual RV load demands to stay within those limits.
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgrade to 50 amp NEMA L14-30R vs NEMA 14-50R

Last edited:

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
OP's request might be confusing .

TLDR - Math: 7200Watts equals 240Volts x 30Amps OR 2 legs of 120Volt x 30Amp

1. Most RV's are 30A/120V

2. Some RVs (usually those with dual A/C) are still 120V, but have two Circuits (legs) in the Trailer wiring. If you look at the breakers on those legs, it will still usually be 30A rating on each leg. But could be 50A.

3. Some large motorhomes (those with Washer/Dryer connections) do support 240V

4. PB output is total of 7.2KW which is EITHER 30A/240V or 2 times 30A/120V (i.e. 2 legs).

5. If you are driving a 120V load you can ONLY get 30A (but you can drive 2 different 120V loads, each at 30A).

6. You can get a cord/dog bone that will split the 4 pins of the PB connector into TWO 3 pin 120V connectors, and then drive 2 separate 120V loads up to 30A each (like in the video)

7. Or you can get a cord/dog bone that will take the 4 pins of the PB and deliver it to a "50A" dual circuit RV, still 120V (and give you up to 30A on each circuit).

8. You can NOT get 60A/120V delivered to 1 circuit directly from the PB.

Additionally, for some ones future homework assignment....

Some smaller portable generators (still only at 120V) allow you to run 2 of them in parallel. They are designed for this and includes the "syncing" cables and connectors.

In addition, there are devices that will attempt to do the same thing with the output of 2 separate generators, with many caveats.

Someone could try and see if that would work to tie the two legs of the PB (i.e. the 120V/30A outputs together to get up to 50+Amps at 120Volt. Again will not really help for RV loads as the RV has 30Amp breakers).

We do know the PB is a little "picky" in trying to use it in "other" situations, as it is permanently Neutral-Gnd bonded and has GFCI's on the outputs. I have no idea if that would work OR if it could damage the PB or your load circuit.

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Someone could try and see if that would work to tie the two legs of the PB (i.e. the 120V/30A outputs together to get up to 50+Amps at 120Volt. Again will not really help for RV loads as the RV has 30Amp breakers).
The challenge with this (I think, not an electrician) - aren't the different legs on a different phase? Like sin waves 180 degrees apart or something. To combine them - wouldn't you have to clean up the phasing of the different legs? This is the hard part imo.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 XLT SuperCab; ordered 2022 Lariat SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
In the specific case of the 7.2kW Powerboost system, connecting two 120v 30A AC circuits in series, in an attempt to yield one 120V@60A AC circuit, is fraught with great risk, IMO.

Not only phase issues but many inverters (the Powerboost uses an inverter to yield AC from its DC battery bank) are decidedly not designed to accommodate such an arrangement.

IF inclined to boldly experiment in such directions, I suggest great care be taken lest one 'release the magic smoke' in their Powerboost, which could happen in an instant, very likely be a shockingly expensive outcome, and certainly would not covered by any warranty.

Ask yourself: "Are you really qualified to understand the systems involved and are you feeling really lucky?"

In my previous post I provided a link for a single adaptor to plug an RV 50A shore-power cord into the Powerboost outlet (but limited to 30A/7200W load); if you have a typical 30A RV shore-power cord, here's the adaptor you need, and this will safely provide the full 30A load capacity your RV demands from the 7.2kW Powerbost.

Last edited:

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
The challenge with this (I think, not an electrician) - aren't the different legs on a different phase? Like sin waves 180 degrees apart or something. To combine them - wouldn't you have to clean up the phasing of the different legs? This is the hard part imo.
I want to clarify, in my "homework assignment" I was referring to purchasing and using the device specifically made to combine 2 separate generators into one source. Not just wiring the outputs together. There are multiple brands, you can find them at Home Depot, Amazon, etc. They are relatively cheap (under $100), but I suspect they won't work. And then, once again, in the RV world there is almost no design that is more than 30Amps on a circuit, anyway.

With the portable generators (Firman is one brand) that support 2 gens in parallel, I think part of the "sync" cables between the gens, it to get the Sine Wave synchronized, as well as the output current.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Right. And if my math is correct, these larger trailers are being fed the equivalent energy (in watts) of 100A at 120V (100A X 120V = 12,000 watts; 50A X 240V = 12,000 watts). This is about half the amps a modest house's electrical system provides and waaaaaay more than the PB can handle all at once.
If it is plugged into a 50amp, 240volt receptacle. If plugged into a 30 amp 240 volt receptacle the power source will only ever supply 7200 watts.

OP
OP

Bob Squires

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 hybrid w/7.2kw power
oh, I did not realize that. Thank you.

OP
OP

Bob Squires

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have learned a lot from everyone’s comments here. That you all

previously JEB had suggested (but not recommended) this item
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E70L...olid=1IEQX4I6QE2Q8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But I’m wondering why this would not work, at least up to 45 amp. Seems that I just add the adapter to convert the RV 30 amp to the locking plug in the PB and I’m good to go.

But my electrical knowledge is lacking and I’m not feeling lucky. So at this point, I’m just curious as to why this would not work.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
in the description, it states:

• WILL NOT work when plugged into GFCI/GFI type outlets
I don't think it's going to work .... I could be wrong, though (it's happened once or twice before)

OP
OP

Bob Squires

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well there’s that. Devil is in the details. Good catch Tosh

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Thanks for the replies. But I’ve used adapters (dog bone) before that enabled me to plug my 50 amp RV to a 30 amp plug. While that does allow me to plug in, if I were to draw more than 30 amps, I would flip the circuit breaker. Seems that the same would occur with the PB. I’m not an electrician but it seems to me that if the PB can deliver 240v at 30amp (7.2 kw) that it should also be able to deliver 120v at 50amp (6 kw). 6 kw would be enough to power two rv a/c units. I’m wondering if there is a way to upgrade the the circuit breaker at the PB to 50 amp?
The only way you're going to accomplish what you want would be finding a transformer you could plug into the 240V receptacle to go from the 30A@240V to 60A@120V. I'm not sure if what you want even exists, but it would be the only option.

Personally, I wouldn't do what you're trying to do, I'd get a portable generator with the receptacle/wattage output you need, or two generators and paralleling kit.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
The only way you're going to accomplish what you want would be finding a transformer you could plug into the 240V receptacle to go from the 30A@240V to 60A@120V. I'm not sure if what you want even exists, but it would be the only option.

Personally, I wouldn't do what you're trying to do, I'd get a portable generator with the receptacle/wattage output you need, or two generators and paralleling kit.
It doesn’t work like that! Each hot leg is fused at 30 amps! Each hot leg to ground or neutral is 120 volts

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I have learned a lot from everyone’s comments here. That you all

previously JEB had suggested (but not recommended) this item
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E70L...olid=1IEQX4I6QE2Q8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But I’m wondering why this would not work, at least up to 45 amp. Seems that I just add the adapter to convert the RV 30 amp to the locking plug in the PB and I’m good to go.

But my electrical knowledge is lacking and I’m not feeling lucky. So at this point, I’m just curious as to why this would not work.
I would heed Tosh’s observation about this potentially not working on a GFCI protected circuit. I hadn’t thought of that. My concern relates to your third paragraph. I would be concerned going from a generator adapter, to the combiner adapter, to the cord set and finally to the RV. Too many jumps for my comfort.
Sponsored