• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Upgrade to 50 amp

STJonesin4

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Construction
If you have an RV with the typical 50A RV shore-power cord/plug, you can connect that to your 7.2kW Powerboost using this single simple adaptor.

BUT there's nothing you can do to increase the total load capacity of the 7.2kW Powerboost. Therefore, when using such an adaptor, you will be limited to 30A load (3600W) on each 120V leg of the electrical system in the RV (and/or 30A load (7200W) on the 240v circuit IF your RV actually has any 240V appliances).

IF you exceed an actual load of 30A on either 120V leg in your RV, or a total of 7200W between all 120V legs and any 240V circuit, the protective devices on the Powerboost should 'trip' to protect the vehicle systems.

The distribution of loads in your RV between the 120V legs is determined by the wiring system in each RV and may vary. It may be possible that one could 'trip' one leg of 120V power but not the other if only one leg is overloaded (exceeds the 30A/3600W Maximum).

You can butcher your Powerboost to try and replace your OE NEMA L14-30R outlet with a NEMA 15-50R outlet; you can try all sorts of shenanigans with 'wye' cords plugged into multiples of the Powerboost outlets; but nothing will allow it to deliver more than it's rated 30A/7.2kW Maximum load (120V plus 240V aggregate); no matter what, you will have to manage your actual RV load demands to stay within those limits.
NEMA L14-30R vs NEMA 14-50R.png
This is a great answer. (From an electrician).
Sponsored

Wantastic

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford Fusion Energi; 1989 Chevy Cheyenne 2500
Occupation
Architect
Interesting thread. I think Ford would do well to include an RV power source with an ATS and built-in L2 charger, so that a 30A (or 50A) RV could plug into the truck while the truck is charging on the 30 (or 50A) campsite pedestal. This way, when the RV is not using power, the truck could be charging.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
as an owner of a 50amp 240v motorhome, and a new owner of the LIGHTNING with the 9.6kw ProPower 240v 30amp output, it's safe to say that while you might not be getting the 'whole' 50amp 240v power you might be used to at a campground, you are still getting up to 60amps of 120v power from the TRUCK - and, since most any motorhome or 50amp RV is NOT using 240v power, but simply using the Two sides of 120v incoming power, separately, you have PLENTY of 120v 30amp power on both 'sides' of your motorhome's power panel to power BOTH of your 20amp roof air conditioners and MANY other things, all at the same time.

Yes, there are PLENTY of differing types of adapters or 'dogbones' in the RVing world, for various and many differing electric situations and needs, such as the 30a/30a to 50amp 'Y' dogbone, which can use two different 120v 30amp RV campground outlets to bring in the 'same' amount of power that the LIGHTNING can give, the LIGHTNING will already have the capacity most ANY rv or camper needs to make most everything work, even while CHARGING the Lightning from the campground pedestal.

My first trip planned with the Lightning is to various campgrounds and to visit two of our sons who are 300 miles from us at different college areas in N Georgia and N Alabama. Some of the campgrounds have only 30amp 120v outlets for power, along with a 20amp GFCI outlet. I will plug the TRUCK, with an adapter, into the 30amp 120v outlet, for charging, and use the ProPower 240v 30amp outlet, with an adapter, to plug my 30amp camper into. I am simply 'passing thru' the campground power to either charge the truck, or to power the camper. When the camper is not using the 'full' 30amps of 120v power, the balance is effectively left over to charge the truck. No, it's not going to 'fully' charge the truck in one night, especially if we are using the 20amp roof air conditioner much of the time, but it's still making use of the power the campground is providing. If staying there multiple nights, then it's likely that the truck will be fully charged when it's time to go. The 20amp campground outlet can also be used. I plan on using an extension cord to the electric water heater, instead of using the ProPower, etc. These are just ways to 'manage' the power you have.
When we are at a campground with 50amp 240v power, which typically also houses a 30amp 120v outlet and the mentioned 20amp GFCI outlets, it's even easier. You can still use the 50amp outlet for the truck, and power the camper from the ProPower, but since you have the 30amp outlet available from the campground, you can plug the camper into it. Even if you have a 50amp camper, you can use an adapter to do the same. Or, you could use the higher ProPower outlet, whichever works for the situation.

Now, when we are my 4th son's camper, which sits on a beautiful mountain-view lot in N Georgia, I won't have a 50amp 240v outlet to access power from, but only a 30amp.
When I go to my 3rd son's camper, which sits on a great lot north of Huntsville, in farm and horse country, he DOES have a 50amp 240v outlet I can access, which will be even nicer.

I believe the OP's original question involved that idea that 'why' would Ford limit the output to only 30amps of 240v power, when the truck's 9.6kw total output is sufficient to provide up to 80 amps of 120v power - well, the reason is that it's not that simple. The truck comes stock with 2.4kw of power output, at 120v, which is an Inverter that takes DC power and outputs it into 20 amps of 120v power, to the frunk, interior, and bed outlets. Every truck gets this whether it options the ProPower, or not.
The ProPower option, though, brings in ANOTHER Inverter to output the additional 7.2kw of power, which is the 30 amp @ 240v power from the additional 240v OUTLET in the bed. ONLY this power is provided from THIS outlet.
So, there is no way to 'combine' the two outputs, UNLESS you choose to make use of an adapter, or dogbone, which can use BOTH the 240v 30amp outlet output, AND make use of one of the 120v 20 amp outlets - this is doubtful, since most dogbone adapter SAY that you cannot use them in conjunction with a GFCI outlet, which all the truck's 20amp outlets ARE. The solution, though, is not lost if you can use that same adapter, but make use of some other outlet that is not GFCI, such as via an extension cord to a building's outlet nearby, etc.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This is exactly what I plan with my Lightning & Camper. We plan on using it extensively for camping & traveling. We like to travel shorter distances & enjoy & explore as we go. So we are willing to take the time to charge & a slower traveling.

The only thing I question on what you discribed is the use of the 240v 50 amp plug & the 120v 30 amp plug at the same time. I've read this should not be done because they were designed for one or the other & not both being used at the same time from one pedestal. The chances of overloading and damaging the circuit is possible. A few destroyed installations would probably put restrictions on campgrounds with us charging our Lightnings at them.
Sponsored