• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pre-Collision Assist not available error

sshoaf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Hi Everyone,

I have been soaking up all of the information on the forum over the last year or so. A lot of great information for sure. I just registered a few minutes ago to tell you all about my experience.

I took delivery of my Lariat ER about a week and a half ago and everything has been great. I wanted to share something that happened this morning on my drive into work. A message popped up on the dash telling me that the Pre-Collision Assist was not available and the vehicle should be serviced soon. I thought it could be a software bug or maybe there is a faulty sensor, so I just thought I would take care of it later. There was a light on the dash that looked like a car with some squiggly lines by it, also what looked like an airbag in front of a driver in a seat, and then a wrench were now on.

A short while down the road someone next to me at a traffic light let me know my brake lights are on all the time. I then started looking more closely and also saw the headlights indicator was on no matter what position I put the dial to, even off. I pulled into a strip mall up the road and parked so the back of the Lightning faced the store windows. I could confirm that the brake lights were on all the time. I turned the truck off/on a couple of times and no change. I continued on to work because I was much closer there than to turn around and head to my local dealer.

I turned the truck off and let it sit for a few minutes and then I turned back on and it came up clean so to speak. No Pre-Collision Assist warning or abnormal dash lights were on. I called my local dealer service department and they are telling me there are no appointments until after the 4th of July holiday. If I drop it off before then it probably won't get looked at until next week. I told them I will call them back when I plan to drop it off.

I didn't think to take any pictures but will for sure if something happens on my way home from work. I wanted to get information out there.

While I was typing this, I just got a call from the local dealer to drop off the Lightning as soon as I can. I will keep you posted once I hear something.
Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I get that Pre-collision alert fault on my Mach E from time-to-time and it knocks out the adaptive cruise control as well. It always resets when I turn the car off and back on, but I found another option to reset it by turning the adaptive intelligent cruise option back to normal cruise. Wait a couple seconds and then switch it back to Intelligent adaptive cruise control and then it all works great again. I probably should take it in and have it looked at, but just haven't done it yet.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I Also get the same warning on our 21 Powerboost with the BLIS if any weather. Mostly occurred in the morning with the first drive of the day. The warning remains during the drive but goes off once the truck is stopped and restarted.
If the sensors on your bumper are dirty or covered in any way that can happen. I've had dew covering the sensors on a cool, humid morning. Once I got up to highway speed it was fine. I think the airflow was blowing the dew off. One morning that I had the issue I stopped and wiped down the sensors and it was fine.
Also if I am parked right up to my garage door, always with a 6.5' bed, I usually get the lights as the door is right up to the front of the sensors. Just some thoughts.

OP
OP

sshoaf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Got an update from the dealer. They had me speak with the lead service technician to go over what happened. He did retrieve two fault codes from two different systems inside the Lightning. He said that there are 5 networks "inside" the Lightning and all of the modules talk to each other. He is requesting a live link with Ford engineers for them to connect to the vehicle and dig around so to speak with him.

OP
OP

sshoaf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
The dealer could not cause the fault(s) to occur again. Picked up my Lightning Thursday. The issue happened again right when I was stopped waiting to turn into our subdivision on the way home from work Friday. Another pickup passed me coming towards me on the left and that triggered things. Maybe a faulty sensor in the front bumper?

I did stumble upon messages appearing in the FordPass app.

Ford F-150 Lightning Pre-Collision Assist not available error 87CB4622-781F-4437-BE8A-72AD46132BF3

Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
The dealer could not cause the fault(s) to occur again. Picked up my Lightning Thursday. The issue happened again right when I was stopped waiting to turn into our subdivision on the way home from work Friday. Another pickup passed me coming towards me on the left and that triggered things. Maybe a faulty sensor in the front bumper?

87CB4622-781F-4437-BE8A-72AD46132BF3.png
Did it clear again when you shut it off? I'm very curious if it happens again when you have another large vehicle pass on the left

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
When I had my Model 3 I would usually get crazy codes like that and all that was needed was to reset the whole car like a computer. One time I just let it be and took it in for service and pretty much got the same information you got from service. I am sure resetting this thing is going to get old quick but as long as you have it documented with service you should be covered for any future issues I would think.

OP
OP

sshoaf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
It does reset when you turn the truck off. You just need to wait longer than 15 seconds; whatever quick restart time from manual is; or the vehicle is still in a fault mode. The strange thing about this is the Lightning brake lights are stuck on all the time until the truck is turned off.

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
I am having this exact same issue. After my tire pressure recall update It started. It’s happened about 6 times now. Taking it in this Monday to see what they can do.

OP
OP

sshoaf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
My truck had not had this happen in over two months. Until this morning on my way to work I was stopped waiting to make a left turn and coincidentally at the same time a car was driving by on the passenger side when this happened again.

Multiple messages show up in the FordPass app as well about different modules in the truck with failures, and the brake lights were stuck on as before.

FordPass app messages:

collision warning system has detected either a system fault or an obstructed radar sensor

restraints control module has an internal failure

system has detected a powertrain or four-wheel drive fault

occupant classification system module has detected a fault with the power train control module

restraints control module has detected that the occupant classification system module is present but not configured

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My truck had not had this happen in over two months. Until this morning on my way to work I was stopped waiting to make a left turn and coincidentally at the same time a car was driving by on the passenger side when this happened again.

Multiple messages show up in the FordPass app as well about different modules in the truck with failures, and the brake lights were stuck on as before.

FordPass app messages:

collision warning system has detected either a system fault or an obstructed radar sensor

restraints control module has an internal failure

system has detected a powertrain or four-wheel drive fault

occupant classification system module has detected a fault with the power train control module

restraints control module has detected that the occupant classification system module is present but not configured
Good morning! I'd like to take a closer look at your Lightning's error messages. Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer to get started?

Arthur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT, Mach-E
Found this thread and my XLT SR had exactly the same errors as below:
1 "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power"
2 "Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning:
1 "Pre-collision Assist not available.

Those errors didn't affect how truck drives and went away by themselves after a while. Also, I didn't pay attention if my brake light is on or not. So far it happened twice, almost at the same place and same time.

Wonder anyone else had similar issues or not.

87CB4622-781F-4437-BE8A-72AD46132BF3.png

Last edited:

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
First thing to try, hold down the lower corner buttons on the steering wheel. Volume Down and Seek Right I think. Hold for 10-15 seconds until you see Sync restart.

If that doesn’t work, disconnect the 12V battery for 30 seconds.

Shiftyjew

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 ligntning
Occupation
Contractor
Hi. Im on my second Lightning ER Lariat. Ford bought the first one back due to one pedal drive issues, screen issues, drive train clunks, and the battery shorting out while it was in the shop. Shortly after getting my 2023 the screen shuts off, restarts, or freezes while driving. One pedal drive fault with codes. And most recently right after I got it from the shop the collision avoidance system blamed on the brakes while I was driving on the freeway. No other vehicles near me. After the truck stopped it flashed "front camera fault service soon" and "collision avoidance system deactivated." Took a week to get the shop to let me bring it in. They say no codes or error stored in the system. I have pictures of the dash as the last truck also didn't store the errors codes. Also a huge problem. Fortunately when the truck came to a screeching halt on the freeway no one hit me. Imagine if they had though. I am once again trying to get Ford to buy back their defective truck. I'm looking for others with similar stories to potentially go pubic with and maybe file a class action lawsuit. I can't drive this truck any more. I can't put my kids in it. Just too many issues.
Sponsored