• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro Power Onboard - Generator Mode?! *Rant*

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
I.T.
I'm using the Pro Power Onboard to power my house during this great storm we're having. The 30A outlet is working great at powering our house which is perfect since PG&E just told us we will be out of power for 2 more days.

Here's my gripe. The truck has to be fully on! Even the manual for the truck says "5. Press the generator mode button to switch the power outlet to the full rating listed on the power outlet label." But there is no button! I hate having to leave all of the screens on. Also, I forgot about shutting off the lights, and the HVAC and heated steering wheel. When sunset came, all the exterior lights turned on, so I jumped in to shut them off. I was unpleasantly surprised to find my steering wheel and cabin nice and warm. Those have only been running for ~9 hours...

@Ford Motor Company - I really love the truck and this power outlet is amazing but give us the button that the manual says should be there.

Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Power Onboard - Generator Mode?! *Rant* Lightning Pro Power
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
That isn't the button for "generator mode". That is the circuit breaker reset button. Generator mode, IIRC, is on the Pro Power screen.

OP
OP

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I.T.
That isn't the button for "generator mode". That is the circuit breaker reset button. Generator mode, IIRC, is on the Pro Power screen.
I’ve got nothing! I went through every menu and couldn’t find the generator mode button.
Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Power Onboard - Generator Mode?! *Rant* 5A5266D4-9BCA-46D5-9653-300EC829E3E6

Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Power Onboard - Generator Mode?! *Rant* 5ED32FAD-2DDB-413B-9AD5-827AEB333306

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado sold
I'm using the Pro Power Onboard to power my house during this great storm we're having. The 30A outlet is working great at powering our house which is perfect since PG&E just told us we will be out of power for 2 more days.

Here's my gripe. The truck has to be fully on! Even the manual for the truck says "5. Press the generator mode button to switch the power outlet to the full rating listed on the power outlet label." But there is no button! I hate having to leave all of the screens on. Also, I forgot about shutting off the lights, and the HVAC and heated steering wheel. When sunset came, all the exterior lights turned on, so I jumped in to shut them off. I was unpleasantly surprised to find my steering wheel and cabin nice and warm. Those have only been running for ~9 hours...

@Ford Motor Company - I really love the truck and this power outlet is amazing but give us the button that the manual says should be there.

Lightning Pro Power.png
I’m doing the same thing. Power outage for the second night in a row. I tried shutting off the lightning and go to power on button, but the pro power onboard will not stay on, and advises that the vehicle has to be started. I couldn’t find how to shut off or turn down the screens either, but I did shut off all the other controls that are possible. I believed the on/off button you are referring is on the bed to the right of the outlets. I ran extension cords to the frig,water heater,coffee maker, microwave and several lights. Working great so far. Power back hopefully Friday afternoon.

OP
OP

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I.T.
I’m doing the same thing. Power outage for the second night in a row. I tried shutting off the lightning and go to power on button, but the pro power onboard will not stay on, and advises that the vehicle has to be started. I couldn’t find how to shut off or turn down the screens either, but I did shut off all the other controls that are possible. I believed the on/off button you are referring is on the bed to the right of the outlets. I ran extension cords to the frig,water heater,coffee maker, microwave and several lights. Working great so far. Power back hopefully Friday afternoon.
Yep! I tried all the same stuff, no dice. I think the manual is wrong and it’s a copy paste from the ICE F-150 with Pro Power. They do have a button on the screen to turn on generator mode.

Hope you’re staying safe in the storm. The truck has certainly made things a lot easier!

Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Power Onboard - Generator Mode?! *Rant* AA7D71C7-1135-4550-978C-10F78E5BB8FD

Sponsored

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado sold
I believed the 2 reset buttons are on top of the outlets also located on the truck bed.

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado sold
Hope you’re staying safe in the storm. The truck has certainly made things a lot easier!

The truck is great! So far I started at 90% charge level and down to 76% after 28 hours. Hope you and your family are doing well also.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Yeah in the Lightning you have to turn on the ignition. What I do is turn on the ignition, turn off the climate control, and then press and hold the knob to put on the “calm screen” so it’s not drawing CarPlay from my house. In this mode the extra power usage is negligible but it’s not convenient.

One night I had the truck shut off at 4AM and ended up having to walk out to the car in 4 feet of snow to turn it back on. Couldn’t sleep the rest of the night.

I wish there’s a way to turn on Pro Power from the app.

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado sold
Yeah in the Lightning you have to turn on the ignition. What I do is turn on the ignition, turn off the climate control, and then press and hold the knob to put on the “calm screen” so it’s not drawing CarPlay from my house. In this mode the extra power usage is negligible but it’s not convenient.

One night I had the truck shut off at 4AM and ended up having to walk out to the car in 4 feet of snow to turn it back on. Couldn’t sleep the rest of the night.

I wish there’s a way to turn on Pro Power from the app.
Thanks, center button did the trick.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Thanks, center button did the trick.
Yeah someone on a MachE Reddit taught me the calm screen trick! It’s still a workaround for something that should be more elegant but hopefully one day — it’s just software.

Sponsored

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado sold
Update…
Still using the lightning to supply electricity to my house with extensions cord. I was notified by PG&E that power will be restore by 1/7 at 8am. I walked down the block and found out that trees fell on the power lines and knocked out a pole and transformer. I’m down to 54% on the lightning, hopefully they get it fix by the morning or else I’ll have to disconnect and drive down to a fast charger.

OP
OP

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I.T.
Update…
Still using the lightning to supply electricity to my house with extensions cord. I was notified by PG&E that power will be restore by 1/7 at 8am. I walked down the block and found out that trees fell on the power lines and knocked out a pole and transformer. I’m down to 54% on the lightning, hopefully they get it fix by the morning or else I’ll have to disconnect and drive down to a fast charger.
Ours came back on late this afternoon. PG&E’s original estimate was for 1/7 at 6PM so yours could come back earlier! My neighbors kept coming over to ask “Wait… is your truck powering the house?!” Lol
Sponsored