• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Problem towing 9500 lbs with 2021 F150 Ecoboost 3.5L hybrid

Leowehner88

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f 150 2021 Ecoboost 3.5 L
Occupation
Operator
have to change the tires on my truck ford said that you can tow up to 12700 lbs with this truck but when I tried to tow only 9500 lbs had a severe truck sway at 60 mph seems like the tires that ford puts on there pickup are to light only 3 ply tire ford inform me I was wrong has anyone had the same problem
Sponsored

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
have to change the tires on my truck ford said that you can tow up to 12700 lbs with this truck but when I tried to tow only 9500 lbs had a severe truck sway at 60 mph seems like the tires that ford puts on there pickup are to light only 3 ply tire ford inform me I was wrong has anyone had the same problem
9500 is a huge load. With that kind of load you would probably be better off with a Light Truck tire. Do you know what your air pressure was? Also, the 12700 is very misleading. Check out the vin # towing chart listed in the forum. It’s very useful

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King ranch power boost
What type of trailer were you towing? Travel trailer, open trailer. Do you have sway control on your trailer ?

OP
OP

Leowehner88

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f 150 2021 Ecoboost 3.5 L
Occupation
Operator
Ford guarantees me that the model ford truck will haul that load I say it will not with the tires that are on the truck and yes I had sway bars on it

Sponsored

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King ranch power boost
I tow a 25ft toy hauler with mine. 21 King Ranch hybrid without any problems. i’ve only used it once for 450 miles . Close to 7000 pounds. Little over when fully loaded. I never tow over 60 miles an hour, even with my last pick up 2020 lariat. I am a little concerned about the tires how they will perform in the snow next winter. hopefully some others here have had the trucks long enough to have towed a heavy load somewhere. Would hate to see you blow the money on tires and then not be the problem.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
A toy hauler with sway bars
Do you know the model? It sounds like you had "toys" loaded in the rear which tipped it to where the tongue is light. Empty toy haulers have a much higher tongue percentage and should be less prone to sway, but that's a heavy one.... Triple axle?

clifford

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Subaru Outback
Ford guarantees me that the model ford truck will haul that load I say it will not with the tires that are on the truck and yes I had sway bars on it
What are you basing your claim about the tires on?
What tires do you have?

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
Who did you talk to at Ford that guaranteed that? They are giving you bad information. And did Ford tell you those were 3 ply tires? Because that’s not how the tires work. I highly suggest looking at the Towing calculator that looks up the capacity with your vin. It’s the best calculator for towing I’ve seen

https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Agate Black Platinum 4X4 Powerboost
Occupation
Very retired
This discussion is worthy of a follow. BTW if I was routinely going to haul a 10,000 lb trailer, you absolutely should have bought a Super Duty instead.
The OP probably has a short wheelbase F150 as well. Ford guarantee? Sounds more like a rookie salesperson "guarantee". A set of tires ain't gonna fix it as far as I'm concerned. The thread is a bit fishy...

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Do you know the model? It sounds like you had "toys" loaded in the rear which tipped it to where the tongue is light. Empty toy haulers have a much higher tongue percentage and should be less prone to sway, but that's a heavy one.... Triple axle?
This is likely the culprit, buy a tongue weight scale on amazon and figure out your % weight on the tongue!

Fathardtail

First Name
Melinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Entrepreneur
When I looked up the stock tires it did say 3 ply!? Planning on getting 10 ply on there right away and selling the stock tires - Nitto Grappler seems popular. We will be towing a 5500 lb 19 foot Airstream travel trailer.

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
When I looked up the stock tires it did say 3 ply!? Planning on getting 10 ply on there right away and selling the stock tires - Nitto Grappler seems popular. We will be towing a 5500 lb 19 foot Airstream travel trailer.
According to Tire Rack
The load range/ply rating branded on a tire's sidewall identifies how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Passenger tires feature named load ranges while light truck tires use load ranges that ascend in alphabetical order (letters further along in the alphabet identify stronger tires that can withstand higher inflation pressures and carry heavier loads). Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings and/or the actual number of casing plies were used to identify the relative strength with higher numeric ratings or plies identifying tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions.

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire's internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply. See the article here:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
Sponsored