• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Question to Ford- Why can't you give us 2FA??

Caperjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Super Crew Sport 4x4 with 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Field Technician
If my smart phone, laptop and even this very website can do it then why can't my 80K truck do it?? The technology is there and it can be an optional feature that could be user selectable in Sync. Given the steady increase in relay type attacks doesn't it make sense to have this feature for something this expensive and vulnerable?​
Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this please...​
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
Not sure I get what you are getting at. Why do you need 2FA in the truck? Are you entering a username/password to drive? In a way you can consider your key a token. Not sure I would worry about Sync. 2FA would be nice for ford.com

Bob_Mac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Cyber Security | Developer
Not sure I get what you are getting at. Why do you need 2FA in the truck? Are you entering a username/password to drive? In a way you can consider your key a token. Not sure I would worry about Sync. 2FA would be nice for ford.com
Agreed! Where would Two-Factor Authentication be used? To start the truck, make changes to the settings? With the way the trucks are setup the best you would get is key FOB and a generated code sent to your phone or Ford would have to add a scanner for Facial Recognition/Thumb Print scan... there's no personal info saved to the truck and if this is about theft then that's why we have insurance.

OP
OP
Caperjoe

Caperjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Super Crew Sport 4x4 with 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Field Technician
There has been a high number of f-150 thefts up here in Canada- enough to make the national news. With the right equipment a thief can steal a newer f-150 in less than 30 seconds. No alarm or anything because the truck thinks it's received a valid key. Remember I said this could be an optional setting so those of you who don't want it don't have to use it.
I'd like to see something like having to enter a preset code or something to start the vehicle and a way to disable the keyless entry ( not just the key pad )
Sure insurance would cover the loss of the truck but do you really think insurance will get cheaper for every F-150 stolen vs having this OPTIONAL feature. In Ford's defence I think Ford pass is a GREAT feature and is a theft deterrent in itself however I'm still asking how difficult would it be to write the few lines of code to bring this feature that could help prevent the theft in the first place.

Bob_Mac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
There has been a high number of f-150 thefts up here in Canada- enough to make the national news. With the right equipment a thief can steal a newer f-150 in less than 30 seconds. No alarm or anything because the truck thinks it's received a valid key. Remember I said this could be an optional setting so those of you who don't want it don't have to use it.
I'd like to see something like having to enter a preset code or something to start the vehicle and a way to disable the keyless entry ( not just the key pad )
Sure insurance would cover the loss of the truck but do you really think insurance will get cheaper for every F-150 stolen vs having this OPTIONAL feature. In Ford's defence I think Ford pass is a GREAT feature and is a theft deterrent in itself however I'm still asking how difficult would it be to write the few lines of code to bring this feature that could help prevent the theft in the first place.
"I'd like to see something like having to enter a preset code or something to start the vehicle and a way to disable the keyless entry ( not just the key pad )", this wouldn't require 2FA (in the true sense) and the easiest way to implement this is when you get in close proximity to the truck with the FOB the keypad will only unlock with the code sent via an app on your phone...

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
Any vehicle can be stolen if somebody wants it bad enough. You could install a 3rd party alarm that has a kill switch built in. Or just install a kill switch.

Did a quick google and found this article. Looks like it';s th previous generation trucks that are vulnerable and not the get 14.
"The Edmonton Police Service noted that all of the stolen trucks were 2018, 2019, and 2020 models with push-button start"

The thieves are basically programming a new key on the fly. Must be using forscan.

"Bates added. “And basically what they do is they boost the signal of the factory key fob, they increase its range, and they make the truck think that the owner is who is starting the truck. They have a device or a tool that goes in through the OBD2 port, the onboard diagnostic port. And essentially it boosts the truck into thinking a new key is programmed for the vehicle. They can do that in a matter of minutes.”"

https://fordauthority.com/2022/02/ford-f-150-theft-epidemic-struck-edmonton-canada-last-weekend/

Bob_Mac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Any vehicle can be stolen if somebody wants it bad enough.
Agreed! Even 2FA with a recognition based system i.e. facial and/or thumb print can still be beat. Thieves will always find a way to hack in regardless.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
If my smart phone, laptop and even this very website can do it then why can't my 80K truck do it?? The technology is there and it can be an optional feature that could be user selectable in Sync. Given the steady increase in relay type attacks doesn't it make sense to have this feature for something this expensive and vulnerable?​
No. Many of my apps are now requiring 2-3-4 authentication actions. Talk about a major hassle...

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
Any vehicle can be stolen if somebody wants it bad enough. You could install a 3rd party alarm that has a kill switch built in. Or just install a kill switch.

Did a quick google and found this article. Looks like it';s th previous generation trucks that are vulnerable and not the get 14.
"The Edmonton Police Service noted that all of the stolen trucks were 2018, 2019, and 2020 models with push-button start"

The thieves are basically programming a new key on the fly. Must be using forscan.

"Bates added. “And basically what they do is they boost the signal of the factory key fob, they increase its range, and they make the truck think that the owner is who is starting the truck. They have a device or a tool that goes in through the OBD2 port, the onboard diagnostic port. And essentially it boosts the truck into thinking a new key is programmed for the vehicle. They can do that in a matter of minutes.”"

https://fordauthority.com/2022/02/ford-f-150-theft-epidemic-struck-edmonton-canada-last-weekend/
I throw both my fobs in a faraday box when not using them at home. May not actually deter a theft if they want it bad enough, but I figure anything from preventing the signal getting picked up is at least some extra peace of mind. It does immediately kill the bluetooth signal to my AirTag attached to it as soon as it goes in the box, so that's something.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer
that would be HORRIBLE. i am not freakin logging in and managing passwords for a freakin truck. I already have 463 passwords I cannot remember.

Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Expedition; 2022 F150 Lariat PB on order
Remember I said this could be an optional setting so those of you who don't want it don't have to use it.
My concern is that, sometime in the future, some middle-manager with a responsibility for IT security decided to flip that switch to mandatory as a simple way to protect his own butt, and now the rest of us are saddled with having to constantly "log on" to our own vehicles, regardless of our own personal risk profile. I've seen it happen countless times from the work IT department.

That's not something that I would want to encourage as a standard "feature" on all trucks. There appear to be some aftermarket solutions that might work for you, though.

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I personally wouldn't mind seeing some sort of kill-switch feature through a 2FA FordPass mobile app solution.

I like the SecuriAlert feature and have it scheduled overnight 7 days a week, but it won't prevent thievery - just alert me of it.

It would be great to essentially "lock down" the truck and prevent it from being started through a schedule similar to SecuriAlert, or until the feature is manually turned off through the app.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
A way to prevent it from starting would be much more useful IMO. If you go on vacation for an extended period, it would be great to know that the truck isn't going anywhere without a flatbed.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
that would be HORRIBLE. i am not freakin logging in and managing passwords for a freakin truck. I already have 463 passwords I cannot remember.
Just write the password on a Post-It and stick it to your steering wheel.
Sponsored