• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Replacing driver side fender

fedie0007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
IT
Unfortunately I get to replace the front fender on my Lightning after a young person missed a stop sign and bumped into me going about 5-10 miles per hour. The damage is minimal, but the aluminum fender ended up cracking so they are going to replace it. The total cost to replace it is almost $3,500. I'd figure I would upload the estimate in case someone was interested in what the replacement entails. It is the driver side fender, so I am surprised that there is nothing on the quote regarding the charging port door. Also surprised that they have to take apart the door to get access to the fender. That window sometimes made a weird noise when rolling it down so as a bonus maybe that will go away.

Ford F-150 Lightning Replacing driver side fender 20240521_164958

Ford F-150 Lightning Replacing driver side fender 20240521_165031
Sponsored

OP
OP

fedie0007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
IT
Pics of the truck. You can see the crack on the closeup through one of the mounting holes.

Ford F-150 Lightning Replacing driver side fender 20240515_173144

Ford F-150 Lightning Replacing driver side fender 20240515_173139

Ford F-150 Lightning Replacing driver side fender 20240515_185040

Ford F-150 Lightning Replacing driver side fender 20240515_190155

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
You can see the crack on the closeup
Now I see why my papa told me say no to crack. Cost of the labor alone can kill you. I see why insurance rates are going through the roof.

Would you have it done if it was out of pocket?

OP
OP

fedie0007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
IT
Would you have it done if it was out of pocket?
Not sure. $3500 is not a drop in a bucket, but this is the first new truck I have ever purchased. I have a cousin that owns a shop a couple hours from me so I might see what he says about hammering it out and welding the crack. It would all be hidden by the plastic trim piece anyway. If that wasn't feasible I would have him paint me a new fender and I would put it on and hope the paint on the rest of the truck hasn't faded noticeably in the one year I have had it.

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
That's honestly not a bad cost estimate - sure, it seems like a lot for such a small amount of damage - but they're replacing the whole fender - it might help to get a hammer and beat the crap out the of the fender (Careful, don't ding the hood or door!) to make the $3,500 price tag look worthwile. :)

I just noticed there are door parts on your estimate - was that damaged too?

Sponsored
OP
OP

fedie0007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
IT
No door damage. My only guess is that they figure they will break the trim around the keypad when they remove it.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Not sure. $3500 is not a drop in a bucket, but this is the first new truck I have ever purchased. I have a cousin that owns a shop a couple hours from me so I might see what he says about hammering it out and welding the crack. It would all be hidden by the plastic trim piece anyway. If that wasn't feasible I would have him paint me a new fender and I would put it on and hope the paint on the rest of the truck hasn't faded noticeably in the one year I have had it.
This is my first new ride as well. I miss the freedom and peace of mind that came with driving the crappiest piece of junk on the road. Once I got rear ended by a youngster in another crappy car. He was about to have a heart attack because he knew his insurance was going to go through the roof from the incident. My rear bumper was bent a little and I couldn't get to my spare anymore but I told him don't worry about it and let him go.

Now everytime I am backing up with my new Lightning, I am thinking about the rear break lights at $2K a piece. My wife is afraid to drive it because she does not want to be responsible for an accident.

Life is too precious to ruin it by owning precious things.
Sponsored