• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

*Resolved* Tesla Gen2 Portable Charger Throwing Error

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
My off-brand tap is also exposed to the weather, so I do have my suspicions that may be the problem, just seems odd it would report as a software issue. I also leave it attached all the time, but left it off overnight before trying again today. I'll keep messing with it and try the older adapter that I remembered I have after @TheWoo mentioned the Lectron he has.
Is your off-brand adapter a Hansshow, by any chance? I used to own several of those (now, after Hansshow refused to provide support, the local e-waste recycler does). After one reported an error charging the Lightning after being left connected during a rainstorm, shaking it revealed it was about half-full of water. I shook as much out as I could, dried it in a 100F oven for a few hours, shook it more - finally I just left it sitting on the kitchen counter, flipping it over every few days. It took nearly a month for all the water to come out. I concluded if the water took that long to get out, it must have been getting in for that long too - that these things leak water continuously if there's any precipitation.

About 2 months after that, a family member tried to use the same type of adapter to charge his RAV4 hybrid from my Tesla wall connector. The fit of the adapter to the Toyota J1772 port was so bad, he did finally get it in, but when he finished charging and unplugged, the adapter came out in two pieces - we had to pull the high voltage safety jumper and extract the other half with vice-grips.

These off-brand adapters are just plain dangerous. They might look superficially like the Teslatap, Lectron, or A2Z adapters, and have big beefy metal pins where you can see then but the housings and innards are junk, and 80A through junk is a really bad idea. Avoid!
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Tesla chargers can get updates, but it updates through the car, it would have to be a Tesla.

No portable charger ever connected on its own. The Gen 3 WC was the first to have wifi and be connected.

OP
OP
jefrank

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2004 BMW 330Ci
Is your off-brand adapter a Hansshow, by any chance? I used to own several of those (now, after Hansshow refused to provide support, the local e-waste recycler does). After one reported an error charging the Lightning after being left connected during a rainstorm, shaking it revealed it was about half-full of water. I shook as much out as I could, dried it in a 100F oven for a few hours, shook it more - finally I just left it sitting on the kitchen counter, flipping it over every few days. It took nearly a month for all the water to come out. I concluded if the water took that long to get out, it must have been getting in for that long too - that these things leak water continuously if there's any precipitation.

About 2 months after that, a family member tried to use the same type of adapter to charge his RAV4 hybrid from my Tesla wall connector. The fit of the adapter to the Toyota J1772 port was so bad, he did finally get it in, but when he finished charging and unplugged, the adapter came out in two pieces - we had to pull the high voltage safety jumper and extract the other half with vice-grips.

These off-brand adapters are just plain dangerous. They might look superficially like the Teslatap, Lectron, or A2Z adapters, and have big beefy metal pins where you can see then but the housings and innards are junk, and 80A through junk is a really bad idea. Avoid!
The deceased adapter is a "Supicon" that I got through the Amazon Vine program - free for reviewing. My review went from 5 stars to 2 stars after it failed within 10 months, but since it now shows as unavailable, it probably doesn't matter.
Sponsored