• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

*Resolved* Tesla Gen2 Portable Charger Throwing Error

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2004 BMW 330Ci
I've been charging my Lightning since last February, and as recently as this past weekend, with a Tesla Gen2 portable charger plus an off-brand 80A "Tesla Tap" without a problem. When I hooked it up last night I received an error in FordPass telling me that the truck had stopped charging shortly after plugging in. In reviewing the Tesla troubleshooting guide, it appears that the error (indicated by 7 flashes of the red LED) is "Software error or mismatch" with a resolution to update the vehicle's software, which isn't exactly practical when you don't own a Tesla. :) I did receive OTA 6.5.0 recently.... is it possible that it's messing with my charging setup? I don't have access to a Tesla to check to see if the charger works on one so I'm guessing between the charger, the tap, and the truck itself. Have another tap coming as a demo unit so I can try that once it arrives, but has anyone else experienced this issue with the Tesla charger?
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I've been charging my Lightning since last February, and as recently as this past weekend, with a Tesla Gen2 portable charger plus an off-brand 80A "Tesla Tap" without a problem. When I hooked it up last night I received an error in FordPass telling me that the truck had stopped charging shortly after plugging in. In reviewing the Tesla troubleshooting guide, it appears that the error (indicated by 7 flashes of the red LED) is "Software error or mismatch" with a resolution to update the vehicle's software, which isn't exactly practical when you don't own a Tesla. :) I did receive OTA 6.5.0 recently.... is it possible that it's messing with my charging setup? I don't have access to a Tesla to check to see if the charger works on one so I'm guessing between the charger, the tap, and the truck itself. Have another tap coming as a demo unit so I can try that once it arrives, but has anyone else experienced this issue with the Tesla charger?
No issues so far, but I use the Tesla charger and tesla-tap very rarely. Can you test both the 110 and 220 plugs on the Tesla side to see if that changes anything? I had a similar issue with my MME giving me the same error in Fordpass and it was pretty much the Ford charger having issues. No issues when connecting to a Juicebox or other "permanent" chargers. No issues when on 110. I think it was just overheating, which I doubt would be your problem at this time of year. All in all take that FordPass error as "something's wrong with the charging equipment"

If I had to guess, it sounds like your off-brand adapter is likely the weak link here, but I'd see if anyone you know that owns a tesla might let you test out with their charger, wall or mobile. Maybe a neighbor?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I've read numerous posts of Telsa chargers having issues with Mach-Es and Lightnings the past few weeks. I suspect it's a Tesla charger issue.

OP
OP
jefrank

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No issues so far, but I use the Tesla charger and tesla-tap very rarely. Can you test both the 110 and 220 plugs on the Tesla side to see if that changes anything? I had a similar issue with my MME giving me the same error in Fordpass and it was pretty much the Ford charger having issues. No issues when connecting to a Juicebox or other "permanent" chargers. No issues when on 110. I think it was just overheating, which I doubt would be your problem at this time of year. All in all take that FordPass error as "something's wrong with the charging equipment"

If I had to guess, it sounds like your off-brand adapter is likely the weak link here, but I'd see if anyone you know that owns a tesla might let you test out with their charger, wall or mobile. Maybe a neighbor?
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a Tesla. Looking online there does seem to be a destination charger at a restaurant in the next town over, but the reviews say it's usually filled with the owner's car, so i might have to ask nicely to give it a try.

I was able to use a 50kw CCS charger last night but my travels today have depleted me again so I need to get this figured out. I'll check out some of the other adapters in my Tesla bag and see if anything changes.

OP
OP
jefrank

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've read numerous posts of Telsa chargers having issues with Mach-Es and Lightnings the past few weeks. I suspect it's a Tesla charger issue.
Interesting. If the issues are cropping up suddenly it makes me think something on the Ford side has changed. The charger isn't getting OTA updates, but the truck did.... not exactly sure when in relation to the last time I used the charger, but I think the OTA update came after the last charge.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Interesting. If the issues are cropping up suddenly it makes me think something on the Ford side has changed. The charger isn't getting OTA updates, but the truck did.... not exactly sure when in relation to the last time I used the charger, but I think the OTA update came after the last charge.
I thought I've read that Telsa chargers get firmware updates...

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
I have the same setup but only use it when traveling. Had a charger fault error overnight on Christmas Eve, but unplugged everything (including the dongle from the evse) and plugged it back in and had no issues.

The only other issue I've ever had was my first adapter going bad after having some water intrusion. I now use this one with no issues: Lectron [Only for J1772 EVs Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter, Max 48 Amp & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors (Black) https://a.co/d/8LO8juq

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Check the Teslatap for corrosion and give them a call. In my experience I get errors on the Lightning specifically under 2 conditions.

1) My Tesla tap got gunked up (it’s used outdoors in the elements)

2) I didn’t follow their instructions and plugged it in sooner than I was supposed to - despite it working 99% of the time 1% of the time it throws an error, I unplug everything and plug it back in for it to work again.

OP
OP
jefrank

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the same setup but only use it when traveling. Had a charger fault error overnight on Christmas Eve, but unplugged everything (including the dongle from the evse) and plugged it back in and had no issues.

The only other issue I've ever had was my first adapter going bad after having some water intrusion. I now use this one with no issues: Lectron [Only for J1772 EVs Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter, Max 48 Amp & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors (Black) https://a.co/d/8LO8juq
Only thing I haven't tried electrically is to flip the breaker, but I doubt that would do anything. Just realized I have an older 48A adapter hanging out in the frunk, though. I'll have to check with that one and see what happens.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jefrank

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Check the Teslatap for corrosion and give them a call. In my experience I get errors on the Lightning specifically under 2 conditions.

1) My Tesla tap got gunked up (it’s used outdoors in the elements)

2) I didn’t follow their instructions and plugged it in sooner than I was supposed to - despite it working 99% of the time 1% of the time it throws an error, I unplug everything and plug it back in for it to work again.
My off-brand tap is also exposed to the weather, so I do have my suspicions that may be the problem, just seems odd it would report as a software issue. I also leave it attached all the time, but left it off overnight before trying again today. I'll keep messing with it and try the older adapter that I remembered I have after @TheWoo mentioned the Lectron he has.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
My off-brand tap is also exposed to the weather, so I do have my suspicions that may be the problem, just seems odd it would report as a software issue. I also leave it attached all the time, but left it off overnight before trying again today. I'll keep messing with it and try the older adapter that I remembered I have after @TheWoo mentioned the Lectron he has.
It’s because there is a handshake that occurs, if you plug your Tesla charger into a Tesla there’s a 2-3s gap between plugging it in and the charge initializing.

The circuit in the adapter handles that for you when you convert to a J1772. So if it’s fouled or if you move too fast the handshake doesn’t occur properly - hence software issue. The truck knows it has both leads but can’t initialize.

It’s not unique to the Lightning or the MachE. On the R1T for example it’ll blink red and keep trying before all of a sudden turning green. The Lightning just seems to give up quicker. This won’t happen on a J1772 because that’s the expected protocol

OP
OP
jefrank

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solved... my older cabled tap (also no-name) allows the truck to charge fine. It will be interesting to see if I can get the non-functional tap apart to see what failed.

Jenovalente

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Adding my two cents to this thread and feel free to move it.

I have a 23 Lightning in XLT standard range trim. I had the Chargestation Pro installed 11/8 and am now on a replacement because no matter what Amp setting in the app or on the dial in the circuit board I use, I get the charging error in the app after less than 5 minutes of being plugged in. ANY amps via the app and the dial set to 46 amps, which the truck should be able to charge at.

The reason I am responding to this thread is that the replacement charger started popping the error message after it performed a firmware update. I have had the truck since late July and have not seen any OTA updates for it come through.

Just seeing if other folks have had disappointing results with the Ford chargers.

Thanks!

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
I also have a Gen 2 Tesla charger. No issues but I use a 48amp Lectron adapter.

FWIW my Gen 2 is on firmware 23.24.4
Sponsored