• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Nearly every dealer that sells plug-in vehicles here in Phoenix has chargers out front physically accessible to everyone during working hours
Hmm...none of the Ford or Chevy dealers show as having chargers for public. There are service chargers not fast DC chargers but these are not publicly available, perhaps that's what you saw.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR
Hmm...none of the Ford or Chevy dealers show as having chargers for public. There are service chargers not fast DC chargers but these are not publicly available, perhaps that's what you saw.
Nope. The Ford chargers are physically out front. The service chargers are out back, by the service bays. I personally used chargers at two different BMW dealerships.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The Ford chargers are physically out front.
Probably a couple of the EV centric dealers. Dealers with L2's are not going to a factor in towing as we'll need fast DC chargers.

In scouting my route to the coast, 100 mies of towing, I've got fast DC chargers at 30 miles so most I have to get is 70 miles out of 300 miles.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Probably a couple of the EV centric dealers.
Don't know what makes one EV centric, but here in Phoenix we have over a dozen Ford dealers and all are EV certified. With that kind of competition, dealers don't like leaving money on the table.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Don't know what makes one EV centric,
Ford has "EV qualified" dealers. This started with MachE.

What chargers some dealers have is almost exclusively for service/sales and there's no way for the public to charge on them, no means of payment.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford has "EV qualified" dealers. This started with MachE.
Also untrue. EV certified dealers (not EV qualified) have existed since 2011. That's when Ford Focus Electric appeared. 10 years ago.
What chargers some dealers have is almost exclusively for service/sales and there's no way for the public to charge on them, no means of payment.
No means of payment means they are free. The last time I was at Chapman (Scottsdale) Ford, there was a Nissan Leaf charging at one of the two publicly accessible chargers. I already said that I got to charge my plug-in C-Max at two different BMW dealers.

If you don't know something, there is no need to make it up. Just ask.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
One of the requirement for selling the plug in and BEV's are that they have chargers. So every dealer that is certified to sell will have chargers. Not necessarily free and not open beyond business hours and in many cases not to other makers cars.

While I applaud HD for their mostly free DC chargers there are many of them that are stinkers also. See the Corpus Christi HD DC rates.

I find PlugShare to be one of the best places to find most but not all chargers.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
EV certified dealers (not EV qualified) have existed since 2011. That's when Ford Focus Electric appeared. 10 years ago.
Nothing to do with the Focus but it was announced with the MachE.

"No means of payment means they are free."

Or not available for the public.

Again these are L2's not something people are going to want to charge at unless they are hanging out at the dealership for 8 hours.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing to do with the Focus but it was announced with the MachE.
Again wrong. Ford added additional requirements for MME, but the program has been around for decade.

"No means of payment means they are free."

Or not available for the public.
Part of EV certification is to have at least 2 chargers. 1 in the service area and one accessible to the public. Some dealers have more. The dealer I am using has 2 public chargers. One the old one made by Aerovironment and new Ford Connected charger. They are accessible when the dealership gates are open.
Ford F-150 Lightning RV Trailer Towing With F-150 Lightning - Considerations & Discussions 1635822567833

Again these are L2's not something people are going to want to charge at unless they are hanging out at the dealership for 8 hours.
No, but if your battery is almost fully depleted and spending an hour or so gives you enough charge to get to the DC charger, they will help. That's what they are there for. Not to substitute for DCFC.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Tesla is opening some of their SuperChargers and Elon is reported have said all will be open. That would be a HUGE boon to EV drivers. I haven't looked at the current proposed laws to see if Tesla would get free Government money in the bill.

Looking at only charging at dealers is not really a great plan for travel. Currently dealers except some BMW dealers would be the very last choice I'd make.

Maybe the second best choice for DC is Electrify America. They are also in the hunt (sadly by diesel gate) for a lot of high speed chargers in travel paths.

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
the inconvenience of charging stops on my twice a summer road trip does not outweigh paying a fortune for gasoline every week as my daily commuter. Ev truck makes so much sense 95% of the time.
Or, in my case, the inconvenience of visiting the gas station a couple dozen times per year at $150 a pop. (In Canada where gas is $1.40 per litre ~ $5/gallon)

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Part of EV certification is to have at least 2 chargers.
They really need more than that for service with MachE and F150EV though you can just plug them into a regular wall outlet so they don't discharge while being serviced. We don't expect the dealer to fill our gas tanks so charging cars brought in for service would be no different.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I should hope that's two publicly-accessible chargers, and not just two total. They should probably have at least two for service alone.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Looking at only charging at dealers is not really a great plan for travel.
Dealers are only putting in L2's which is no good for travel charging. What would be smart would be Ford dealers putting in a bank of six fast DC chargers exclusively for Ford EV's. Local people with no home charging could pop over to their local dealer and charge up for a week's driving. Plus selling electricity with a 100% mark up is profitable.
Sponsored