• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Say Hello and Introduce Yourself!!

Grant

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Website
multitool.org
Vehicles
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Construction Inspector
Hello everyone.

My name is Grant and I am very likely going to trade my trusty old Jeep Wrangler in for a Lightning in the next few months, but as this is my first EV I have some questions.

Before I start asking dumb questions that have been covered before, is there a Newb's Guide To Lightning Ownership thread somewhere? I have tried searching and haven't come up with much.

A few detail about me- I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and I am a construction inspector with the government and I work out of my vehicle. The fuel compensation package I have for mileage is insufficient to cover the costs associated with my old Jeep (2013 JKU with almost 300,000kms) so my main priority with an EV is reducing my costs.

My Jeep is costing me about $.27/km (on a good day) to operate right now, and the published numbers on the Lightning are around $.04/km, which is a huge savings, even if I use 3x the stated amount of electricity. The fuel savings alone will cover around half the payment of a Lightning, so that is very attractive to me.

All things being equal, I'd kind of rather have a Rivian, but they are having a few too many problems these days, and there's a Ford dealer in almost every small town across Canada, so the Lightning wins out.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for having me.

Def
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Hello everyone.

My name is Grant and I am very likely going to trade my trusty old Jeep Wrangler in for a Lightning in the next few months, but as this is my first EV I have some questions.

Before I start asking dumb questions that have been covered before, is there a Newb's Guide To Lightning Ownership thread somewhere? I have tried searching and haven't come up with much.

A few detail about me- I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and I am a construction inspector with the government and I work out of my vehicle. The fuel compensation package I have for mileage is insufficient to cover the costs associated with my old Jeep (2013 JKU with almost 300,000kms) so my main priority with an EV is reducing my costs.

My Jeep is costing me about $.27/km (on a good day) to operate right now, and the published numbers on the Lightning are around $.04/km, which is a huge savings, even if I use 3x the stated amount of electricity. The fuel savings alone will cover around half the payment of a Lightning, so that is very attractive to me.

All things being equal, I'd kind of rather have a Rivian, but they are having a few too many problems these days, and there's a Ford dealer in almost every small town across Canada, so the Lightning wins out.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for having me.

Def
As someone with a Wrangler and a Lightning, my advice is to keep both. The JK isn't quite as customizable as the TJ, but it's still a solid hobby platform. There's a bit of zen doing your own work on a vehicle, and you will not get that with the lightning because after you put a tonneau on it, there's not a whole lot else for you to do.

Also, if you enjoy any level of off-pavement driving, the lightning is a beast at it, but it's also like 4-5x heavier than the Wrangler. It's a totally different experience. Keep the Wrangler, it's a fun car and the dealership isn't going to give you anything for it anyway. Though you will likely do far better than blue book if you sell it yourself.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just got my 2022 Lightning Platinum a week ago. I've been itching to pull the trigger on one of these for a while and finally found the right one!

I've been lurking here since I got the truck and want to thank everyone in the community for sharing their knowledge and insights. I have learned a lot, with much more to go!!

20240422_110241.jpg
Beautiful Lightning! Thanks for sharing and for being part of the Ford family, Chuck! 😄

Grant

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Website
multitool.org
Vehicles
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Construction Inspector
Inverted Spear- funny you should say that as I also have a 2000 TJ that I have been meaning to rebuild for times when I don't want to get my fancy Lightning dirty. Or scratched up or broken... those things aren't cheap.

TBH though, things like off road tires and things like that were one of the many questions I have, and why I was looking for the Ultimate Guide to Lightning Ownership for Newbies.

Def

Tedmister2

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue XLT Lightning
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Good morning all, I love this site.
Ted living in Portland Oregon.

I bought my lightning February 29, 2024. It is an antimatter blue XLT extended range. I have put 6400 miles on it so far. I drive a lot as a home health nurse. Plenty of room to carry all the crap I use as well as everything else you use a truck for! The truck has been maintenance free although I did put a cover on, a front hitch on, and front only Bilstein adjustable 5100 heavy duty shocks to level it.
The truck is a joy to drive and so far no tickets…..thanks Waze…. I had to disconnect the back up beeping alarm not to wake the home and neighbors…
Rotate tires and keep the thing clean is the only real maintenance so must now buy a trailer with the money saved…
Stay safe and keep asking questions!

Sponsored

sdchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Hello, This is Chris from San Diego.

I purchased an Antimatter Blue Platinum over the weekend. All thanks should go to my wife for letting me buy this beautiful truck.

I'm stoked to see all the mods people are adding to their trucks. I hope to learn a lot from everyone on the board.

See you on the streets!

Chris

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Hello, This is Chris from San Diego.

I purchased an Antimatter Blue Platinum over the weekend. All thanks should go to my wife for letting me buy this beautiful truck.

I'm stoked to see all the mods people are adding to their trucks. I hope to learn a lot from everyone on the board.

See you on the streets!

Chris
Look for the thread "what did you do to your lightning today" SO MUCH good stuff to add on.

ElectricTruckNewb

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Xlt SR
Ford F-150 Lightning Say Hello and Introduce Yourself!! IMG_8739
Just got my xlt SR last week and already putting it to use. Had to clear out landscaping around the house. Fun way to spend the weekend! I am coming from owning a 20’ Ram 1500, 22’ Silverado 1500, and a 23’ Canyon At4 to now the lightning. Loving the EV stuff so far.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
IMG_8739.jpeg
Just got my xlt SR last week and already putting it to use. Had to clear out landscaping around the house. Fun way to spend the weekend! I am coming from owning a 20’ Ram 1500, 22’ Silverado 1500, and a 23’ Canyon At4 to now the lightning. Loving the EV stuff so far.
Welcome to the EV world, Taylor! We love to see the Lightning truck doing truck things.

rikster63

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Silverado, 2022 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Real Estate Sales
Hello Lightning forum! I'm new here, and haven't purchased a Lightning yet. I wanted to learn everything I could before making the leap, and I've been reading lots of posts to familiarize myself with this amazing EV.

A bit of background: My wife and I have been avid EV drivers since 2012 (Nissan Leaf with 70 miles of range). We've owned multiple Leafs, Bolts, and most recently Teslas. I currently drive a 2022 Tesla Model S Long Range, and my wife has a 2021 Tesla Model Y LR.

I live on an acreage and sell real estate, so I find that I am always in need of a truck. I've been leasing a variety of Ford F150s, Rams, and Silverados for the past 15 years. They always used to lease incredibly cheaply, like around $229-250 per month for a 24-36 month lease with zero down. During Covid, I had a Ram 1500 that was coming off lease, and I discovered that I had roughly $10k in equity in the truck due to the used truck prices at the time. Lease deals were terrible then, so I decided to purchase outright a loaded up 2021 Chevy Silverado. With my equity, I paid $43k and financed for 72 months at 1.99%. I've put 22k miles on the truck over the past 3 years, and discovered that the wholesale value of my truck is $40,600 (I still owe $22k). So a ton of equity there.

I noticed a Ford Lightning on the road here in Nebraska recently, and thought it looked surprisingly "normal" for an eV. I test drove a 2023 XLT Extended Range model yesterday, and did LOVE the ride, power, smoothness and serenity (which is generally what I've always loved about my eVs). I only use my truck for one "road trip" each year, a drive to Colorado for a family ski trip (600 miles, mostly at 80 mph). Most of my driving is local, and I felt that it was likely that I could get by with a standard range model. However, many people I've talked with (and many people on this forum) recommend the Extended Range due to the loss of range during winter months, and also for resale value.

So after some negotiating with the local Ford dealer, here's the deal I was offered:

MSRP: $74,335
Sales Price: $68,000 (discount of $6435 off MSRP)
eV Tax Credit: $7500
Tesla Conquest Rebate: $1500
Net price: $59,000
Trade Equity: $17,923
Amount Financed: $41,077
Monthly Pmts (0% for 60 months): $684

I felt pretty good about that deal, but was saddened to read on these forums that there was a pretty solid extra rebate on the 2023s that ended prematurely earlier this month. I see that other people have been able to get 2023 XLT ER versions for the low $50's before rebates/tax credit.

So here are my initial questions:

1. Should I spring for the extra $10k for the ER version? There's an identical 2023 XLT standard range model available at another deal for a selling price of $55,789 before rebates (about $12k less than the ER one).

2. How good is the deal I was offered by the first dealer (described above)?

3. I see that there are a lot of inbound 2024s heading to Nebraska fairly soon. The price has dropped on the 2024s, it seems. I like the idea of the new heat pump to reduce range consumption in the winter months. The financing incentives aren't as strong on the 2024s right now, though. I like the idea of the new Flash version, and there are some inbounds of those heading this way. Should I wait for the 2024s to arrive?

4. Any speculation on the return of the big rebates on the 2024 models? I know eV prices in general are tanking right now, so it seems likely Ford will need to provide big incentives to keep these trucks selling.

5. I'm very concerned with the resale value of the Lightning, and I see a huge number of low-mileage 2022s and 2023s on CarGurus.com priced really low (mid-$40s seems pretty typical for the 2022s). My Silverado has been amazing on holding its value, and I've gotten crushed lately by the enormous depreciation on my Teslas, and don't want to repeat that experience with Ford.

So I wanted to introduce myself to the group and solicit for feedback on the current offer, and get opinions on future depreciation and the benefits of waiting for the 2024 models to hit showrooms.

Thanks! Rick

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Hello Lightning forum! I'm new here, and haven't purchased a Lightning yet. I wanted to learn everything I could before making the leap, and I've been reading lots of posts to familiarize myself with this amazing EV.

A bit of background: My wife and I have been avid EV drivers since 2012 (Nissan Leaf with 70 miles of range). We've owned multiple Leafs, Bolts, and most recently Teslas. I currently drive a 2022 Tesla Model S Long Range, and my wife has a 2021 Tesla Model Y LR.

I live on an acreage and sell real estate, so I find that I am always in need of a truck. I've been leasing a variety of Ford F150s, Rams, and Silverados for the past 15 years. They always used to lease incredibly cheaply, like around $229-250 per month for a 24-36 month lease with zero down. During Covid, I had a Ram 1500 that was coming off lease, and I discovered that I had roughly $10k in equity in the truck due to the used truck prices at the time. Lease deals were terrible then, so I decided to purchase outright a loaded up 2021 Chevy Silverado. With my equity, I paid $43k and financed for 72 months at 1.99%. I've put 22k miles on the truck over the past 3 years, and discovered that the wholesale value of my truck is $40,600 (I still owe $22k). So a ton of equity there.

I noticed a Ford Lightning on the road here in Nebraska recently, and thought it looked surprisingly "normal" for an eV. I test drove a 2023 XLT Extended Range model yesterday, and did LOVE the ride, power, smoothness and serenity (which is generally what I've always loved about my eVs). I only use my truck for one "road trip" each year, a drive to Colorado for a family ski trip (600 miles, mostly at 80 mph). Most of my driving is local, and I felt that it was likely that I could get by with a standard range model. However, many people I've talked with (and many people on this forum) recommend the Extended Range due to the loss of range during winter months, and also for resale value.

So after some negotiating with the local Ford dealer, here's the deal I was offered:

MSRP: $74,335
Sales Price: $68,000 (discount of $6435 off MSRP)
eV Tax Credit: $7500
Tesla Conquest Rebate: $1500
Net price: $59,000
Trade Equity: $17,923
Amount Financed: $41,077
Monthly Pmts (0% for 60 months): $684

I felt pretty good about that deal, but was saddened to read on these forums that there was a pretty solid extra rebate on the 2023s that ended prematurely earlier this month. I see that other people have been able to get 2023 XLT ER versions for the low $50's before rebates/tax credit.

So here are my initial questions:

1. Should I spring for the extra $10k for the ER version? There's an identical 2023 XLT standard range model available at another deal for a selling price of $55,789 before rebates (about $12k less than the ER one).

2. How good is the deal I was offered by the first dealer (described above)?

3. I see that there are a lot of inbound 2024s heading to Nebraska fairly soon. The price has dropped on the 2024s, it seems. I like the idea of the new heat pump to reduce range consumption in the winter months. The financing incentives aren't as strong on the 2024s right now, though. I like the idea of the new Flash version, and there are some inbounds of those heading this way. Should I wait for the 2024s to arrive?

4. Any speculation on the return of the big rebates on the 2024 models? I know eV prices in general are tanking right now, so it seems likely Ford will need to provide big incentives to keep these trucks selling.

5. I'm very concerned with the resale value of the Lightning, and I see a huge number of low-mileage 2022s and 2023s on CarGurus.com priced really low (mid-$40s seems pretty typical for the 2022s). My Silverado has been amazing on holding its value, and I've gotten crushed lately by the enormous depreciation on my Teslas, and don't want to repeat that experience with Ford.

So I wanted to introduce myself to the group and solicit for feedback on the current offer, and get opinions on future depreciation and the benefits of waiting for the 2024 models to hit showrooms.

Thanks! Rick
1. Yes, if you need the extra range, No if you are pretty much just using it around town.
2. What Trim level is that? I'm assuming XLT by other parts of your comment. Seems a bit high for an XLT today, you can always offer less and see if they bite. I bought before price drops and pade $73k for my XLT ER, no regrets.
3. I don't think the heat pump will make the difference most people think it will. I've seen someone mod theirs with a diesel heater, with a small tank in the bed if you're really worried about it.
4. No crystal ball here. They seem random, and they kill them at random. Make the deal that makes you happy now.
5. If you're concerned about resale value, do not buy an EV, and do not buy a new car. There's little difference on a used EV vs new as far as mechanical wear. Go buy used and save yourself the money.
Sponsored