• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stealthy amateur radio install

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
Most of my vehicles in the past have all had ham radios in them, the one exception is my last vehicle my Tesla, where I only put one in temporarily for special events. Now that I'm back to a more utilitarian vehicle, I thought it was time to install a ham radio in it.

Design goal was to be minimally intrusive, and relatively stealthy. To that end, the radio body is located behind the back seat, mounted directly above the factory amp. The head is located in the media cubby where I removed the wireless charge pad to make room, and when I close the cubby you can't see it at all. I lay down the factory FM antenna under the plastic cowling below the wipers, and replaced it with a UHF antenna mount. In the city I use a quarter wave in that location which isn't that different from some of the stubby antennas that various people put on. On special events or road trips I can easily unscrew it, and put my big antenna on. I can't leave it on in the city though, because there's no way it'll fit in my garage that way.

Ford F-150 Lightning Stealthy amateur radio install 1000005390
Ford F-150 Lightning Stealthy amateur radio install 1000005393
Ford F-150 Lightning Stealthy amateur radio install 1000005391
Ford F-150 Lightning Stealthy amateur radio install 1000005394
Ford F-150 Lightning Stealthy amateur radio install 1000005395
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Very nice! Neat and clean install.

HHI-Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
How has your FM radio reception been while the antenna is under the cowling?
I’d like to consider doing this to get the antenna out of site. Of course, I’d have to come up with a filler / cover for the standard install spot.

OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
I’d like to consider doing this to get the antenna out of site. Of course, I’d have to come up with a filler / cover for the standard install spot.
To be honest, I don't know. I'm pretty sure the last time I listened to FM radio in my personal vehicle was a decade ago. That said, it seems like lying it down there would at least leave me some option rather than nothing. Based on my general radio experience, I would say that it'll probably be fine with stronger stations, or around town, however don't expect it to work in the middle of nowhere. It may actually not be much worse than the built-in antennas on many vehicles these days that don't have real aerials.

As for a filler, I suspect a pop bottle cap painted black, would probably fit about right, it's just a matter of keeping it in place. While I waited for my antenna to arrive, I had just the coax mount there with a threaded cap screwed onto it, and it sat perfectly flush with the plastic cover, and actually looked pretty good.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
There are a few threads on short antennas and what others have done. I believe a few have noted the size of small bolt/screw they put in when removing the antenna completely.

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
That is nicely done.
Sponsored