• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate Pad Recommendation

ZSLC

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Extended
Anyone have an MTB Tailgate Pad they like? I grabbed the EVOC which is great but I was a doofus and did not check the measurements first. It covers the backup camera.

So, any recommendations? Spring is here and I am excited to dump my hitch rack.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lightninorian

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Pro
Occupation
Firefighter
The padded cover from backcountry works great on my lightning. Very happy with it. It's their brand which has the mountain goat on it. If you sign up for the newsletter they may even send you a code for 15% off and free shipping. It's the only padded cover that the opening for the tailgate handle opens all the way to the top which allows the camera to be uncovered. It also has padding where the bike frame sits on the edge of the tailgate. My buddies that paid twice as much for the raceface and fox are jealous of it. I have 0 complaints about it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Pad Recommendation Screenshot_20230313_174513_Chrome

Edit: It can be a little hard to put on when you feed the straps under the tailgate but the rest of the pads are the same way.

Last edited:

Pdxguy

First Name
La
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE, Toyota Tacoma, Audi
I did some research (looking at videos like this one) and ended up with the Raceface T2. Weather hasn’t been good for MTB, so I can’t give much feedback yet. I will say that keeping road bikes upright on it hasn’t worked well, though the MTBs stayed on for my trip to the LBS.

OP
OP

ZSLC

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Extended
Thanks, I ended up grabbing the Backcountry. Easy enough to install and the flap seems to accommodate the tailgate camera well. MTB weather seems delayed indefinitely where I am so no real world testing yet.

Sponsored

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Long term, wouldn’t the tailgate pad scratch the paint? I understand the material that touchs the truck is soft but I’d imagine dirt would collect in it overtime and start scratching the clear coat.

I’ve been throwing my bikes in the bed but I know that isn’t ideal for everyone.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Pad Recommendation 955D4E96-08BF-4166-AE43-05BC21190CA7

Pdxguy

First Name
La
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE, Toyota Tacoma, Audi
Long term, wouldn’t the tailgate pad scratch the paint? I understand the material that touchs the truck is soft but I’d imagine dirt would collect in it overtime and start scratching the clear coat.

I’ve been throwing my bikes in the bed but I know that isn’t ideal for everyone.
955D4E96-08BF-4166-AE43-05BC21190CA7.jpeg
I’ve been using a Dakine pad with my Tacoma for years and haven’t noticed any scratching. The pad keeps the bikes from hitting hard surfaces and potentially (on my nice one) damaging the carbon frame when I’m driving on bumpy dirt roads. Also, I can put 5-6 bikes on a pad which turns the truck into an awesome adventure vehicle at low cost (cue the frunk to store helmets and camelbaks and the outlets to recharge an e-bike)

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
Thanks, I ended up grabbing the Backcountry. Easy enough to install and the flap seems to accommodate the tailgate camera well. MTB weather seems delayed indefinitely where I am so no real world testing yet.
What size did you get?

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I’m using the Yakima for the past few months, has worked well. Fits 4 easy but has space for 6 bikes. The large is edge to edge on the tailgate.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Pad Recommendation IMG_1941

OP
OP

ZSLC

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Extended
What size did you get?
I grabbed the L. It fits well, although I wish the opening for the Camera were a little wider as it can attract the attention of the Lightning backup nanny.

Also, the first one I bought ripped a seam while tightening it down but BackCountry customer support was awesome about getting me a replacement.

Sponsored

MattXD

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I’m using the Yakima for the past few months, has worked well. Fits 4 easy but has space for 6 bikes. The large is edge to edge on the tailgate.

IMG_1941.jpeg
Looking to grab Yakima as well since we're getting at least 3 bikes. Recently got the bed cover from 4Wheelonline and good thing there's still enough space for the bikes.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
I grabbed the L. It fits well, although I wish the opening for the Camera were a little wider as it can attract the attention of the Lightning backup nanny.

Also, the first one I bought ripped a seam while tightening it down but BackCountry customer support was awesome about getting me a replacement.
BackCountry support is fantastic. Bought a pair of hiking boots that wound up being way too narrow and needed them exchanged for wides (damn you Solomon) and they gave me 20% off in addition to free Next Day shipping.
Sponsored