• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate Teardown

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I had my light bar replaced today on the tailgate. I got some pictures and an interesting observation or two about the tailgate.

First - a picture from the inside with the work surface removed (Blue tailgate)- the motor and control module are on the passenger side. All of the cutouts look to be the same as from a Pro (white tailgate) on the inside, but we know the sheet metal is different on the outside (Lariat and Platinum have the flares that cover the back up lights.). Thanks @LUXMAN for the picture from the Pro.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Teardown IMG_5178
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Teardown 71917921209__23FEBF06-AD5B-489B-B3BD-558ED0B7CEB2

On the outside of the tail gate - the painted 3-4" part above the lightbar is plastic - painted to match the truck. I thought it was stamped metal, nope. This is where the release button and camera are.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Teardown IMG_5179
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Teardown IMG_0802

The inside of that plastic part has more modules that I would have expected 3 or 4. I expected release button and camera. There is a small module to the left, maybe bluetooth (and why the covering of this area is plastic and not metal) and then a long module probably 8 to 10" wide, plus a couple more stuck in there. The camera and the button at a minimum.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Teardown IMG_5182

Overall - a crazy amount for a tailgate these days. Not hard to see why they cost so dang much. It is a 1.5 hour job allotment for the light bar replacement.
Sponsored

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
If y’all are wondering why my PRO tailgate was apart, you can see the new torsion bar in the bed getting ready to be installed by FORD mobile service.
My tailgate lift assist was not really an assist. My wife’s XLT was much easier to lift.
What I found out was that the torsion bar is bolted 3/4 of the way across the tailgate and pivots on the driver side attach point. When you lower the tailgate, the bar twists and loads up. Then as you lift the tailgate, the torsion bar unloads and helps close it.
For some reason, mine was not doing that and the mobile tech figured it out and ordered the part and today he installed it.
To be sure it was correct, we had a professional tester, test it. @TexasGardeningGirl did a lift comparison between her XLT in my pro, and gave it to her seal of approval

Last edited:

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Wow two Lightnings, an M3, solar and power walls. I'm so jelly (from my 13yr old). Great job!

We've got almost everything converted to electric. Car, truck, mowers, all yard tools. Now if I could find a cheap electric tractor....

Cheap electricity 8.16 cents/kw makes solar hard to justify out here. But would consider it if prices drop low enough to break even in my lifetime.
Sponsored