• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla charge rate on the FCSP?

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
This is probably a dumb newbie question but can a new Model Y charge with the 80A Lightning charger and if so do I need any adapters and what would be the maximum charge rate to the Tesla? We just added a Model Y to our family's EV fleet (arriving next month) and I wasn't sure how this would work. Would prefer to just have one charger placed at our property and we would switch parking for that space (as charging is needed) and just use one charger. Hoping it's compatible and that the Tesla can charge at a decently fast rate. My FCSP is still sitting in the box it came in. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The J1772 to Tesla adapter will require some modification to account for the CCS pins. Once you do that, it will charge according to the charge rate set in the Tesla.

Broonarmy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, Smoked Quartz
This is probably a dumb newbie question but can a new Model Y charge with the 80A Lightning charger and if so do I need any adapters and what would be the maximum charge rate to the Tesla? We just added a Model Y to our family's EV fleet (arriving next month) and I wasn't sure how this would work. Would prefer to just have one charger placed at our property and we would switch parking for that space (as charging is needed) and just use one charger. Hoping it's compatible and that the Tesla can charge at a decently fast rate. My FCSP is still sitting in the box it came in. Thank you in advance.
I think a Model Y should charge no problem on FCSP but you will need a CCS to Tesla adapter.

From memory the Model Y max charge rate is 11.5KW / 48 amps and the car will limit to this even though the FCSP is set to a max of 80 amps. You get a J1772 adapter as standard with the Tesla but not a CCS at least that was the case when we bought ours.

There are a few CCS to Tesla adapters available they are just a bit pricey.

Lectron
Selection on Amazon

I'm no expert so make sure you get a few more opinions from other more informed members on this forum.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Yes, assuming the FCSP is hooked up to at least a 60A circuit, you’ll be able to charge your Model Y at its full 48A charge speed with the adapter that’s included with the Y. Even if you hook your FCSP to a 100A circuit, 48A is the max charging speed on the Y.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I think a Model Y should charge no problem on FCSP but you will need a CCS to Tesla adapter.

From memory the Model Y max charge rate is 11.5KW / 48 amps and the car will limit to this even though the FCSP is set to a max of 80 amps. You get a J1772 adapter as standard with the Tesla but not a CCS at least that was the case when we bought ours.

There are a few CCS to Tesla adapters available they are just a bit pricey.

Lectron
Selection on Amazon

I'm no expert so make sure you get a few more opinions from other more informed members on this forum.
Telsa to CCS adapters are for DC charging only, the FCSP is an AC charger. There is not currently an adapter made to connect the FCSP to a Tesla, but in theory, you could take on of the $50 J1772 to Tesla adapters and carve part of the rim of it away so that it will fit.
Once you have gotten the adapter to physically fit, the FCSP will charge any of the new Teslas at 48 amps, which is that max that Tesla supports on AC.

Sponsored

Broonarmy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, Smoked Quartz
Telsa to CCS adapters are for DC charging only, the FCSP is an AC charger. There is not currently an adapter made to connect the FCSP to a Tesla, but in theory, you could take on of the $50 J1772 to Tesla adapters and carve part of the rim of it away so that it will fit.
Once you have gotten the adapter to physically fit, the FCSP will charge any of the new Teslas at 48 amps, which is that max that Tesla supports on AC.
That's exactly why I said to wait for someone who knows more than me 😂 . Nice info @cwstnsko I learned something.

I guess there are not many if any AC chargers with the CCS style plug other than FCSP so no real demand for the adapter to be made.

Thanks for keeping us straight.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Have you actually done this? I have modified my adapter to fit, but when I actually connect the FCSP to the Model Y it doesn’t work. I hear several loud clicks in the FCSP as if it were going to start charging, but after a few clicks it stops. The blue light never starts to pulse, the Tesla T on the car’s charge port stays blue (it never goes green) and the car says “Unable to charge. Try reconnecting or DC fast charging “.
My FCSP is not connected to WiFi and has had no firmware updates, but it charges the Lightning just fine. Is there a trick to getting this to work?

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
From Lectron Customer Support 25Nov2022:

We have coordinated with our product manager and were advised that the CCS adapter is for DC charging only. It will not work with AC charging.

Currently, we do not have an adapter that will work with the Ford Charge Station Pro. We will happily discuss this with our product development team and hopefully we will have this in our product pipeline in the future.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Have you actually done this? I have modified my adapter to fit, but when I actually connect the FCSP to the Model Y it doesn’t work. I hear several loud clicks in the FCSP as if it were going to start charging, but after a few clicks it stops. The blue light never starts to pulse, the Tesla T on the car’s charge port stays blue (it never goes green) and the car says “Unable to charge. Try reconnecting or DC fast charging “.
My FCSP is not connected to WiFi and has had no firmware updates, but it charges the Lightning just fine. Is there a trick to getting this to work?
I haven’t done it, I was just going on the assumption that since both are J1772 compatible, that they would communicate. I guess it’s possible that something in the FCSP is trying to validate voltage on the DC pins, which would make it even less compatible with other vehicles and completely incompatible with Teslas since they don’t have separate pins for AC and DC charging
Thanks for adding to our collective understanding
The more accounts I read about the FCSP, the more I think I should sell mine, rather than install it before the word gets out about all of it’s limitations

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The J1772 to Tesla adapter will require some modification to account for the CCS pins. Once you do that, it will charge according to the charge rate set in the Tesla.
What modifications did you do other than cutting away a bit of the plastic housing to make the adapter physically fit on the FCSP’s CCS head? I trimmed the plastic and then tried charging a Model Y. It didn’t work, so I’m wondering if I missed something?

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
What modifications did you do other than cutting away a bit of the plastic housing to make the adapter physically fit on the FCSP’s CCS head? I trimmed the plastic and then tried charging a Model Y. It didn’t work, so I’m wondering if I missed something?
I haven’t done it myself. There was a post by @FlasherZ who described it. Physically trimming the adapter was all he did.

Did you get any error indications from either the car or FCSP that might be a clue to the problem?

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My FCSP is not connected to my FordPass (I couldn’t get it to sync with my internet and phone) so I’ve just been using it to charge the Lightning which it does fine. It didn’t show any errors (the blue light just stayed steady while I could hear the relays trying to close). The car said it was unable to charge AC and try again or try DC fast charging. The adapter I was using worked fine with the Ford mobile charger, so I suspect there is some check with the DC side of the FCSP that is not meeting conditions. The adapter is the one that came with the Tesla and is good for the full 48 amps the car tried to pull. The FCSP is direct wired to a 100 amp breaker and charges my truck at over 70 amps. I’d like to figure this out so I can keep the Tesla mobile charger in the car.
Sponsored