• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER; 2013 Fiesta
The large portrait-oriented central dashboard screen is sharp, responsive and super easy to use
I will happily smoke whatever the reviewer's smoking. That screen is neither particularly sharp or remotely responsive.

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Jalopnik is full of EV haters so this is surprising
They probably like it so much because it smells and tastes like a ICE truck, haha!

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
I will happily smoke whatever the reviewer's smoking. That screen is neither particularly sharp or remotely responsive.
Compared to? My 12 screen isn't bad, certainly better than others I've used. Maybe they get worse? On my third week of use I noticed it lag ~1/4 second once or twice

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Jalopnik is full of EV haters so this is surprising
They are full of haters of EV brands that don’t advertise on their website…

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
Maybe I've been lucky but I have 4.2.1 and I don't find the UI unresponsive, wireless CarPlay works just fine and the wireless phone charger works just fine.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Yah my Android Auto has really started acting better once I switched to a newer S23+. The charger doesn't heat the phone so much as it constantly stops charging, particularly if I go over normal bumps in the road.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER; 2013 Fiesta
Compared to? My 12 screen isn't bad, certainly better than others I've used. Maybe they get worse? On my third week of use I noticed it lag ~1/4 second once or twice
Compared to my iPad or iPhone. Or any decent modern/recent smartphone or tablet. The 15" is a bit slow, and has a noticeable delay between touch and response - especially when you're trying to do something super edge-case like change the temperature or volume.

" Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard and work like a charm." Anyone else have a good chuckle at this?

" There’s also a wireless charging pad," I like to refer to this as a wireless phone heater instead.
I would agree with "work like a charm" only now it's been 2 ish months since it last crashed on me. That said the sometimes 20+ seconds for it to connect when turning the car on just makes me want to tape an iPad over the screen :LOL:

Does the wireless charging pad actually charge anyone's device? It doesn't even keep our phones charged if they're connected to the vehicle.

Reactions: s_c

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Yeah, the Lightning's screen is just fine... For the auto industry. No, it sucks compared to any iPad over the last 5 years or such, but compared to all the other screens out there in cars/trucks, it's fine. The latest and greatest from Rivian and Tesla are still laggy pieces of sh!t, so there you go. People complain about Ford's software and all that... Once again they're fine. Rivian is struggling like crazy here. Tesla is doing OK, but I'm not wild about their UI design and they have a mature product vs. what Ford is trying to do with this 15" screen thing. I guess one can argue that Ford has a mature product in Sync, which they do, but it seems like they can't figure out what they want to do with it.

Anyway, it's fine... It's not amazing. It's just "fine"... As in OK... It gets the job done and isn't going to impress anyone who's used a current computer/tablet device in the last 5 to 7 years. I guess it runs better than the ChromeBook the school supplies my kid. Heh.

Performance aside, there's a lot of work they could do to improve user experience. The Ford navigation is really truly awful. Not from a navigation perspective, but in terms of usability and features. Like it should be able to let me add stops along a route or it shouldn't be so brain-dead when it comes to charger routing. I mean, the stupid thing wants me to charge at the next charger, even though I'm at 80% SOC when there's an equivalent/better charger just 120 miles down the road along my route. And I'll have to listen to it tell me for the next 18 miles that I need to turn around before it realizes that I should go to the next charger that all my other navigation tools have already directed me to...
Sponsored