• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tonneau cover WITH the Factory Installed "Bed in Liner"? Anyone find a solution?

Zappcatt

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Computer Nerd
It seems like I have finally found a dealer which has a truck in stock, but this one has the Bed in Liner. I have read that many/most if not all Tonneau covers will not work with the bed in liner.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully made that work without too much issue?

P.S. Yes, I know I can remove the liner. I might end up doing that. Yes, I know the frunk is awesome...but it rains 140+ inches of rain over an average of 275 days with some rain a year here, so there will be times when I have stuff in the bed that I would rather not get wet
Sponsored

RTanton

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Platinum
It seems like I have finally found a dealer which has a truck in stock, but this one has the Bed in Liner. I have read that many/most if not all Tonneau covers will not work with the bed in liner.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully made that work without too much issue?

P.S. Yes, I know I can remove the liner. I might end up doing that. Yes, I know the frunk is awesome...but it rains 140+ inches of rain over an average of 275 days with some rain a year here, so there will be times when I have stuff in the bed that I would rather not get wet
I have the plastic bed liner and purchased the Ford trifold tonneau cover. The plastic bed liner forced the outboard clamp to loosen and fall off. The outboard piece has teeth that are supposed to clamp on to the bed lip. I replaced that outboard piece with a longer length of flat aluminum stock that I tapped for the 3/8"-18 bolt from the original clamp. It seems to have worked after a 5000 mile road trip to Michigan and back to So Cal.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

I have the factory spray in liner, my Ford OEM (ie, Retrax XR) fit without any issues - installed it myself. No modifications, didn't even know it was a thing until I saw this post. I'm not even sure what would get in the way.

I even retained the factory cleats and tie downs...

It's raining right now but I'll grab some pictures for you when I can.

OP
OP

Zappcatt

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I have the factory spray in liner, my Ford OEM (ie, Retrax XR) fit without any issues - installed it myself. No modifications, didn't even know it was a thing until I saw this post. I'm not even sure what would get in the way.

The issue is with drop in bed liners, not the spray.

On FORD.com, you can not order them together.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tonneau cover WITH the Factory Installed "Bed in Liner"? Anyone find a solution? Nope

Some third party providers also do not "guarantee" that their product will work if there is a drop in bedliner.

RTanton

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Platinum

It is only an issue if the plastic drop-in liner is installed. The plastic bedliner pushes against the ouboard factory clip as it is slightly u shaped.They are forced inward and down and eventually fall off. With the spray in liner no problems should be expected.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The issue is with drop in bed liners, not the spray.

On FORD.com, you can not order them together.
Nope.png

Some third party providers also do not "guarantee" that their product will work if there is a drop in bedliner.
Ah gotcha. That I have no idea.

I also have a Pro with a Dual Liner and the Tonneu fit on that w/o any issues as well, but that doesn't answer your question but figure I'd leave it here just in case.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

After much research, I ordered the Mamoru Hard Quad-Fold Tonneau cover from Amazon (I prefer the quad-fold, because itā€™s smaller when fully folded, and prefer hard over soft, so no flapping in the wind on the hwy, less aero drag). See mamorucover.com, costs a fraction of the hard covers at Ford.com. Works great with my Ford.com drop-in bed liner, no conflict with tonneau clamps, no cutting or drilling. Six months in, no noticeable leaks. Would buy again. Most hard covers that overlap the top of the bed rails (as opposed to installing in between the bed rails) should work fine with the Ford drop-in bed liner, Iā€™d expect.

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My ā€˜22 Lariat ER mannequin came with the spray in bed liner and a hard quad-fold Ford bed cover. This is my first spray in bed liner and I like it much better than a drop in plastic liner. One advantage to the hard quad-fold cover is that it effectively turns the bed into secure storage.

You might want to seriously consider peddling the plastic bed liner and replacing it with Linex, then get your quad-fold cover.

OP
OP

Zappcatt

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Computer Nerd
After much research, I ordered the Mamoru Hard Quad-Fold Tonneau cover from Amazon (I prefer the quad-fold, because itā€™s smaller when fully folded, and prefer hard over soft, so no flapping in the wind on the hwy, less aero drag). See mamorucover.com, costs a fraction of the hard covers at Ford.com. Works great with my Ford.com drop-in bed liner, no conflict with tonneau clamps, no cutting or drilling. Six months in, no noticeable leaks. Would buy again. Most hard covers that overlap the top of the bed rails (as opposed to installing in between the bed rails) should work fine with the Ford drop-in bed liner, Iā€™d expect.
Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately it looks like they might be getting out of the Hardcover business. They are sold out of 90% of the ones they offered(including the F150), and the 3 they still have are discounted 15%+

OP
OP

Zappcatt

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Computer Nerd
My ā€˜22 Lariat ER mannequin came with the spray in bed liner and a hard quad-fold Ford bed cover. This is my first spray in bed liner and I like it much better than a drop in plastic liner. One advantage to the hard quad-fold cover is that it effectively turns the bed into secure storage.

You might want to seriously consider peddling the plastic bed liner and replacing it with Linex, then get your quad-fold cover.
Yep, lots of options on the table!

There is very little "freeway" here on the island, so I am not worried about wind noise on the softcover. I am way too heavy and old to be standing on the cover, and I am hoping not to be carrying more valuables than could fit in the frunk.

Planning to use the bed for hauling dirty/large items which could not fit in the Escape.

But yes, if I had my choice I would have spray on liner and hard top from the factory.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately it looks like they might be getting out of the Hardcover business. They are sold out of 90% of the ones they offered(including the F150), and the 3 they still have are discounted 15%+
I think their stock waxes and wanes. They were out of stock when I first tried to order; I inquired at [email protected], and was told they were expecting to have more soon. I was recontacted 2-3 weeks later and told I could order on Amazon, and voila! I think the discount is part of their marketing plan (itā€™s always there).
Sponsored