• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mileage with Tonneau?

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
The MythBusters found that tailgate up, hard cover, and missing tailgate were all roughly the same. Tailgate down took away about 5%. Mesh tailgate was more efficient by 5%.

The link starts at results, but rewind if you want to see what they all tested. They confirmed their previous tests that involved running tanks dry with only tailgate up vs tailgate down.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ford F-150 Lightning Mileage with Tonneau? bill_nye_mobile

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 lightning, 22 maverick, old ass Harley.
Occupation
Retired Army, retired Government employee.
I be smart and stuff.
Ford F-150 Lightning Mileage with Tonneau? 0750F3A4-D038-4B46-9043-FD78B09DF7CC

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
So, driving through a hail storm makes your Lightning more fuel efficient? Amazing!

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Didn't both mythbusters and Cosumer Reports' tests both decide that tonneau covers actually (but minimally) make range worse? It was due to introducing a hard surface with more wind resistance where normally there's a big bubble of air that forms in the bed.
Yes, all legitimate scientific tests on tonneau covers show that not only do they not improve mileage, but they detract from mileage, and inferentially, range. I'm still going with one, but know that I will have slightly less range as a result.

ScottWagTx

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Any recommendations on a brand of tonneau cover to consider?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any recommendations on a brand of tonneau cover to consider?
That's way too broad a question. Hard vs. soft is the place to start. Then features you want. You should also know that one company makes most of the brands.

RealTruck owns -

BAK
Extang
Gator
Rhino
Retrax
Roll N Lock
Tonno Pro
Truxedo
UnderCover

and a bunch of other brands.

I'll also point out that these trucks have the same beds as F-150 gas truck, and they've been putting on tonneau covers for a very long time. Many more write-ups on those forums.

I went with an Extang Encore on my 2013 F-150. Tri-fold hardcover. No longer made. Leaked at the hinges, but was fairly secure. Bought a Peragon this time, ended up returning it. Got a Diamondback and so far I like it, but it's quite pricey.

ScottWagTx

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Ah, good point. Apologies. I definitely want a hard cover and was thinking the kind that roll up.
I believe the one I was looking at on Amazon said I would lose 7" of bed space.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ah, good point. Apologies. I definitely want a hard cover and was thinking the kind that roll up.
I believe the one I was looking at on Amazon said I would lose 7" of bed space.
Yes, the canister rollups lose that upfront space. Also look into where all the water goes, after a rainstorm, when you want to roll it up.

And remember that Amazon is marketplace, not a manufacturer of tonneau covers. Focus on brands, finding what you want, then worry about price.

Tclark5

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
Just wondering if anyone has put a tonneau on their Lightning yet and been able to get a sense if there is any noticeable difference in the miles/kW with vs/ without? I know that the vast majority of the F-150 (Lightning or otherwise) aerodynamic shortcomings are primarily related to it's boxy nature. However, given that even little changes in aerodynamics can have noticeable affects on the mileage of an EV, I was just wondering if anyone has had a chance to look at what kind of impact a tonneau might make (if any). I'm planning to put one on after I get mine so I was just curious. TIA, all!
Added a tonneau cover and have made several long trips, can’t see any difference! Was wanting one anyway, but now I know.

SciFiReader

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ford f150 lightning
As several have said, there’s no way to be scientific. However, I do think I get slightly more range doing 75-80 on the interstate with the cover than I did without. One interesting change is that before the cover, if I opened the rear window, I’d get quite a strong breeze against the back of my head. With the cover, much less in that direction. Seems to indicate less swirl. I opted for Bakflip hard tonneu- expensive at $1k, but I installed myself. Also nice as it can only be opened when the tailgate is down, making the bed area a “secure” storage space (yes, anything can be broken into, but this takes more than a pocket knife). only downside is that it folds up against the rear window if you need the whole bed; it’s secure there but blocks rear view.

SyntheticCoyote

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Project Manager
Call me paranoid but I got the bed liner (factory installed) and used my rewards points to get the tonneau cover. Definitely a good investment. Get a lot of complements on it as well. As for mileage? Haven't noticed anything in over the year and a half I have owned the truck. Biggest mileage factors are:
  • Am I driving like a jerk
  • Usage of Climate controls - this KILLS your battery. Especially the heat in the winter.
Sponsored