• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Top Lightning gripes or dislikes.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I think I just missed the “[m]any”
Well, that makes sense!

I figured it might just be a case of "any other vehicle type" actually meaning "any other vehicle type that most people would be willing to be seen in."
Sponsored

JKP

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning xLT
Occupation
Construction
The truck is great, I love it, but there are still a few goofy things… Top 3 gripes, which should be easily solved with a software update:

- Ability to adjust charge amperage, or optimize charge level for your intended departure time

- Option for a universal setting for max charge level to 90% as recommended by Ford. Only possible currently to set based on programmed locations. This makes no sense.

- Ability to turn on power receptacles without the truck “running”. Or, at a minimum, have a setting to allow for all the interior lights to be turned off when running power receptacles only. If you are using the truck to power things in your house during a power outage, there is no way to turn off the interior lights. The best solution I could find on You-Tube was a guy making a cardboard cutout to fill in the dash 😆. Should be a simple fix here FORD!

And, a bonus gripe is (to add to the chorus) the excessively loud beeper on the frunk, that thing is annoying!

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
The "secret sauce" of the Lightning is that Ford reused as much as they could from the ICE trucks to get it to market quick and save on overall cost. Shortening the cab 6 inches and adding it to the bed world have meant a redesign of all the sheetmetal of the whole cab and bed.
To be fair, though, this is a perfectly good gripe about the ICE F-150 super crew too. That back seat is just stupidly big. Especially if you're using the back seat for kids, 'cause not only do they not need the space, but now they're too far away to reach from the front seat. Plus they can't reach the cup holders while buckled in.

I think 8" less would have been good. Make the bed an even 6' and make the truck a couple inches shorter. It's 2" longer than my '04 F-350 long box!

Tmack7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
1) most of the software issues already stated. Hate the lack of physical buttons but was surprised that sliders arent horrible. Could be improved (enlarged or blown up as key view when adjusting) to make it less distracting to adjust. Safety issue. And just plain lack of good use of infinite possibilities to both driver screen and center console given all the good examples out there already. Would be nice to have an area that could be customized given the space available. Maybe a lot of this will be solved with the plans to go to android system?

1.1) 12 inch screen option on lariat

2) Adjust charging amp. Again, like software, many cars and chargers out there already have this. Partial fix is buy a different charger.

3) Frunk and backup beeping. One or both may be safety requirements though. Also speed of frunk.

4) Think it’s due to lack of mud flaps but driving through water on road is crazy loud.

5)Front and rear cameras collect water easily and become useless in rainy situations. My 2016 didn’t have this issue.

6) I’ve always liked having my hand on a shifter while driving but this shifter is stupid. To say it’s a truck thing is silly because column shifter are very common. Added complexity, decreased space, harder to use flip table. There is a perfect spot on the dash for a dial shifter even with pro trailer.

7) Would have liked jump seat option. I have center console in my 2016 and wanted it but have since thought middle seat would be more useful.

8) Sunroof and rear window are nice in thought to me but could have been deleted. My 16 has rear window leak due to the poor design of the “frameless” window (framed inside). The water channel leaks. Hopefully this one won’t be an issue. I have had sloshing of water in my sunroof which I’ve never had in the 16. All 4corners are draining but water is accumulating/pooling. Hate the “designed to leak” thing.

9)Probably would have opted for full length bed but understand it was likely a quickness to market thing and sticking to one size was easier.

10) charging speed at fast chargers. Slower may have been on purpose for battery life and most fast charger likely won’t be higher than 150 anyway. But will likely be more available in future. Early adopter issues.

11) Air suspension/adjustable ride. Again likely due to speed to market but the suspension was redesigned from current f150.

12) 400 mile range would be nice but probably not the price. Honestly would have preferred plug in hybrid with 50-100 mile range. But that’s likely my range anxiety due to new EV owner. Also like the frunk, already heavily utilized.

12) key fob remote start. Ford making subscription money

13) All ford dealers should have easily accessible 150kw chargers to improve charging network. Future?

P.S. Just a wish list and yes nothing is perfect and you can pick anything apart. I love the truck. Super comfortable, quiet and smooth. More comfortable than my 16 lariat but could just be the 6 year newer design.

Ryanbosski

First Name
RZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Acura MDX (2), Tundra
Occupation
Self
My Lightning is being built in December

Being husband of a Tesla Y, the only one that concerns me is charging stations

I want this to be as easy as the Tesla, but I’m guessing long road trips will be sketchygiven the EA stories I’m hearing

can’t wait to start adding the good/bad/ugly yo this forum- thx everyone for sharing your knowledge

one question- I’ve read there will be a Ford offering for heated steering wheel once parts are available- does anyone know if the onboard scales tgat have been removed from ‘23 models will also be an option once supply issues are solved?

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
To be fair, though, this is a perfectly good gripe about the ICE F-150 super crew too. That back seat is just stupidly big. Especially if you're using the back seat for kids, 'cause not only do they not need the space, but now they're too far away to reach from the front seat. Plus they can't reach the cup holders while buckled in.

I think 8" less would have been good. Make the bed an even 6' and make the truck a couple inches shorter. It's 2" longer than my '04 F-350 long box!
I will disagree there. I love the huge back seat. Very comfortable for road trips and also very useful for extra storage when needed. On my ICE F150s I used the extra space with the seats flipped up all the time. The Frunk covers some of this use case, but if you need to carry something taller out of the weather that rear "flat" floor space is wonderful.

schoon81

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
I have an xlt standard range. It's my first new truck and I'm upgrading from a 2003 F250 diesel that I've personally put over 300k miles on. (Has 420k on it now). I use my truck 99% for work pulling a 14' enclosed 8' tall box trailer that weighs about 6500 lbs. In my line of work I rarely drive more than 50-75 miles a day and it's all at speeds of less than 60 mph.

I've put about 4k miles on my lightning and love it overall. These however are my gripes.

1)Tow/haul mode shuts off one pedal drive.
I love the one pedal drive once I got used to it. It seems silly to not use the Regen function with a load? If you have a trailer connected with in regular mode the blis system keeps thinking someone is in the Blindspot.
2) My truck doesn't save my trailer as default trailer. Have to set it up each time I connect it. Wish you could program the default settings different.
3) How tall the truck sits and how it sits butt high. I'm waiting for the aftermarket to offer a lowering kit to at least make the truck sit level without lifting it. Even with 600lbs of tongue weight it sits 4 inches high in the back. Me personally I would lower it 6-8 inches and do away with the running boards. The bed sides are so tall as it is you can't get stuff in and out without using the tailgate.
4) folding shifter. To me this seams like unnecessary parts. Why not make it push button on the dash somewhere and just give us either another seat up front or a useable flat area in between? Currently you have to move all your stuff including drinks in the cupholder, fold the shifter ECT and then fold it all up to get in the console. I ended up building a wooden platform to hold my paperwork and clip board. Maybe I'm old-school and just got used to my F250 being more user friendly?
5) integrate the existing cameras to allow recording. It's kinda silly with all the tech that comes on this truck to not be able to replay the info from the cameras.
6)I understand this is a safety issue but I don't like how you can't move the truck with the door open. I never new this was an issue till I got the lightning. Occasionally I will have to readjust the truck on a job site or such and it's awkward to get in and completely shut the door to move 1 ft.

I've been driving pick up trucks exclusively for over 35 yrs so maybe I get in a rut? What would you change?
100 percent agree with the recording. I had someone door ding my truck. It would have been nice to see who it was with all these cameras around my truck. They could activate and record when new motion is sensed. I'd even pay month for this type of feature like I do for the ring at my house. This would also be helpful if people mess with the truck while charging. A lot of chargers are in remote areas that don't have surveillance cameras around.

schoon81

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Why is it useless?
I've noticed it doesn't provide enough power to do fast charging. So really all it can do is keep the phone where it's at, not really charge it. Maybe others are experiencing this.

Simsonic

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
I love almost everything about my Lightning. Changes/updates would include:

1) Agree with all the comments about being able to record the cameras as we drive and when we are parked. Give us a 48 hour record option and an easy way to access the video through our screen and iPhones.

2) I love the shifter (it's comfy for my hand and looks cool), but I would have found a 6th seat option (jump seat) more useful.

3) I love the 15 inch screen. I DO NOT WANT MORE PHYSICAL buttons. What I do want is a better UI of the software, more options, and more customization.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've noticed it doesn't provide enough power to do fast charging. So really all it can do is keep the phone where it's at, not really charge it. Maybe others are experiencing this.
Mine loses power on the wireless charger if Android Auto is connected.

Sponsored

Tmack7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I read a couple people state inability to move with door open. Maybe mine is special but I can drive with my door open.
I agree the shifter is really comfortable. Just not necessary,complicated and space could be useful. I’m sure I’d miss it but eventually get use to it being gone

Last edited:

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
1. No bench seat option.
2. The clunky low speed noises.
3. Frunk beeping.
Hopefully the second two will be solved with time.
Forgot to add no sunroof delete option.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I read a couple people state inability to move with door open. Maybe mine is special but I can drive with my door open.
I agree the shifter is really comfortable. Just not necessary,complicated and space could be useful. I’m sure I’d miss it but eventually get use to it being gone
You can drive with the door open if your seat belt is fastened.

Tmack7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
You can drive with the door open if your seat belt is fastened.
Im guessing this is a question. I’ve only tried without seatbelt on I guess. Ive just opened the door and edged forward or backwards a few times without complication. Guess I’ll have to try with seatbelt on. I figured the point was for quick movements/adjustments. Or hoping in and out. Like you do sometimes when parking a trailer. Never driven fast enough with door open that I felt like I needed a seatbelt. It’s funny that if its the case that being safer with a belt would stop you.
Sponsored