• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Top Lightning gripes or dislikes.

Galaxidan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
30 Model A,
I have an xlt standard range. It's my first new truck and I'm upgrading from a 2003 F250 diesel that I've personally put over 300k miles on. (Has 420k on it now). I use my truck 99% for work pulling a 14' enclosed 8' tall box trailer that weighs about 6500 lbs. In my line of work I rarely drive more than 50-75 miles a day and it's all at speeds of less than 60 mph.

I've put about 4k miles on my lightning and love it overall. These however are my gripes.

1)Tow/haul mode shuts off one pedal drive.
I love the one pedal drive once I got used to it. It seems silly to not use the Regen function with a load? If you have a trailer connected with in regular mode the blis system keeps thinking someone is in the Blindspot.
2) My truck doesn't save my trailer as default trailer. Have to set it up each time I connect it. Wish you could program the default settings different.
3) How tall the truck sits and how it sits butt high. I'm waiting for the aftermarket to offer a lowering kit to at least make the truck sit level without lifting it. Even with 600lbs of tongue weight it sits 4 inches high in the back. Me personally I would lower it 6-8 inches and do away with the running boards. The bed sides are so tall as it is you can't get stuff in and out without using the tailgate.
4) folding shifter. To me this seams like unnecessary parts. Why not make it push button on the dash somewhere and just give us either another seat up front or a useable flat area in between? Currently you have to move all your stuff including drinks in the cupholder, fold the shifter ECT and then fold it all up to get in the console. I ended up building a wooden platform to hold my paperwork and clip board. Maybe I'm old-school and just got used to my F250 being more user friendly?
5) integrate the existing cameras to allow recording. It's kinda silly with all the tech that comes on this truck to not be able to replay the info from the cameras.
6)I understand this is a safety issue but I don't like how you can't move the truck with the door open. I never new this was an issue till I got the lightning. Occasionally I will have to readjust the truck on a job site or such and it's awkward to get in and completely shut the door to move 1 ft.

I've been driving pick up trucks exclusively for over 35 yrs so maybe I get in a rut? What would you change?
Sponsored

Last edited:

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
5) integrate the existing cameras to allow recording. It's kinda silly with all the tech that comes on this truck to not be able to replay the info from the cameras.

I've been driving pick up trucks exclusively for over 35 yrs so maybe I get in a rut? What would you change?
Since I never tow or haul, my gripe is #5 - 360 cameras into recording while driving and parked like the Teslas.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Since I never tow or haul, my gripe is #5 - 360 cameras into recording while driving and parked like the Teslas.
Ok, I have to ask. If you don't tow or use the bed, why get a truck?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Only real gripe I have is the useless wireless charging pad.

OP
OP

Galaxidan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
30 Model A,
I was kinda bummed mine didn't come with that option being an XLT. But probably wouldn't have used it anyways.

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Charging network compared to Tesla. I miss it so much. Just getting tired of the hit and miss in working stations at EA.

I absolutely love my truck and that’s the only gripe, since they fixed the guess o meter and made the phone a key. I’m good.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Reasonably areas for improvement. Some of it seems easy to solve, software-wise, and then obvious own-goals like the vestigial shifter that solves a problem that should never have existed in the first place.

It's like getting ready to run a marathon, strapping a ball-and-chain to your leg, and then telling everyone how smart you are because you put wheels on the ball.

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai Ioniq&Kona, Honda FCV
Occupation
IT Consultant
Ok, I have to ask. If you don't tow or use the bed, why get a truck?
Same reason folks are getting Raptor R , TRX , Hummer EV, Rivian. It's mainly for the style, performance, utility , flexibility and new techs.

Over 90 percent of the G63 user never used their truck for off road duties , but that never stopped anyone from getting them.

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
I would love a button on the home screen to turn on the 360 camera.

After starting in a parking garage, the system does not allow me to change the channel on Sirius from the steering wheel.

Would have preferred a dial instead of a shifter.

Lowered, please.

Stereo is lacking. Not bad, but even my Explorer is better.

The overhead controls are difficult (impossible) to read at the angle that they are installed.

Recording for cameras.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Why is it useless?
Overheats my phone and can't keep up with the drain of wireless Android Auto. So I'd you use it while connected your phone overheats while losing battery.

xycarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Sasquatch, Lighting Lariat ER on order
Overheats my phone and can't keep up with the drain of wireless Android Auto. So I'd you use it while connected your phone overheats while losing battery.
Thanks. I haven’t used it enough to see that yet. Good to know.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Bro. If you tow you shouldn't be buying a lightning!
Lightning is perfect for someone towing within a single-charge range frequently, much like the thread starter's use case.

It's just not good if you're going to do long-distance towing with any frequency.