• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Trouble w/ 20" Lariat rims getting out of balance in snow/mud/ice

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
Anyone else experience this? My families Lightning is getting a proper western KS farm welcome. Which is to say, its being driven on dirt/gravel/rock roads that serve up a mixture of mud/ice/snow/dust at varying intervals.....

My brother reports that he's having to hit the insides of the rims with a pressure washer ever few days, or the imbalance gets so bad, he hates driving over 40 mph.

This is by the way, not an uncommon thing out there. Some rim designs are just worse than others. Their Chrysler Minivan is a real bugger about doing it. But my brothers ICE Silverado which also has alloy rims, has never had a problem.

Are the 19" rims better? Does the pro have steel rims? We would ditch the Lariat rims (IE trade) if the problem could be fixed with a different rim style.
Sponsored

OP
OP

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
In the meantime, we decided to switch to the 64H heavy duty standard 18" rims from a regular F150. There are other discussions about rims. All F150 rims from around 2005 will *fit* a lighting but not all are classified as strong enough to carry a Lightning and its potential payload.

Here is a picture of the 20" rims when removed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Trouble w/ 20" Lariat rims getting out of balance in snow/mud/ice 1706324574356

This to be fair is not just a Lighting issue. The local car wash shut down its self use bay because all the local farm trucks were pulling through and dousing off their rims -- till the drains were mudded up.

But the 20" Lariat rims seem particularly afflicted, as you can see. Out there, there is a messy mix of road dust, mud, snow etc......

Here's a shot of the 64H heavy duty F150 rims on the truck. Time will tell if it is better. They are a little more open to cleaning I think, and 18" will behave differently.....
Ford F-150 Lightning Trouble w/ 20" Lariat rims getting out of balance in snow/mud/ice 1706325031536