• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

US lightnings in Canada?

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending
I've seen a couple of Canadian dealers advertising US lightnings for sale (US flag sticker on the tailgate). I looked up on the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles site, and it appears they are eligible for import, so legally I'm sure there's no problem. But the big question is warranty and service? Anyone know how Ford handles warranty on a vehicle that was originally sold in the US, but was later imported to Canada?

One of the ones for sale right now ticks a lot of boxes for me, but I'm a bit scared of the US/Canada warranty thing.
Sponsored

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
My understanding is that a Ford warranty is good at all dealerships in Canada and the USA. Once it is purchased, it has in their system and when any North American dealership enters the VIN in the computer, it shows the coverage.

We were considering not buying the warranty from the dealership selling us the truck - to shop around for a better deal, but the mention of this motivated the dealership to suddenly find better pricing.

We were considering buying the warranty in the USA for our Canadian-sold vehicle. From what we found, we just needed a US mailing address to buy it. Having service done at a Canadian dealership would not have been an issue.

Buying a warranty in Canada for what was originally a US-sold vehicle should work the same. Hopefully, someone who's done so can comment.

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
warranty isn't an issue as it's both us and canada

Just make sure recall and csp are done before purchasing

OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending
warranty isn't an issue as it's both us and canada

Just make sure recall and csp are done before purchasing
Any particular reason why I would have to make sure that's done before purchase? Theoretically I should be able to just take those in after correct?

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
Any particular reason why I would have to make sure that's done before purchase? Theoretically I should be able to just take those in after correct?
Dealers are lazy, depends on the dealer, it can take forever to get those fixed for you if bring it back afterwards
You can find on this fourm that buyer even demand to use FDRS to upgrade all firmware as part of the purchase condition

Otherwise your experience would be bad with older software and not getting software updates with bad 12v sensor

OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending
Thanks. I would definitely be asking them to do those things, the bigger worry was if I find one after the fact. Recalls are easy, but knowing about which CSP has been done or needs doing is often harder to see before purchase.
Sponsored