• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Use the 240V outlet for standard household plug in's?

Hendog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
I can not find definitive answers to save my life

I have seen extension cords that have the L14 30 connection on one end that splits out to 4 "standard" plugs on the other end. Is this beneficial to use? Safe? Will it allow the use of both circuits and maximize the 7.2KW? (Each 120v plug says max of 2.4kw). I know the 240 pulls from both to max it out.

My use is not an RV. I would be simply running into the house in order to power off it in the event of an outage. If works, seems easiest to do in this application because using both circuits and the full 7.2kw?

Appreciate thoughts though. Electricity is not something I want to guess at!

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Should work fine, the assumption is 2Ea plugs going to each leg of the 240V. You could test it with a blow dryer on each outlet and see what pro power screen shows.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Since a standard house receptacle is only rated for 20A, you should still be limited to that. Anything higher risks a fire hazard. The benefit is that you could get 40A total inside the house with 1 cord as opposed to 2 using the 120V receptacles.

OP
OP

Hendog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Thanks I was hoping the benefit to be I can maximize the 7.2 with one plug pulling from both A & B. It's not a real biggie, I can run regular cords. Just seeing if a better, more effective way is all. thanks guys!

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Thanks I was hoping the benefit to be I can maximize the 7.2 with one plug pulling from both A & B. It's not a real biggie, I can run regular cords. Just seeing if a better, more effective way is all. thanks guys!
I think that is a good option for running 4 individual 110v cords to directly plug in a freezer and refrig split between both legs and have others for a tv or chargers etc. There are threads on here hundreds of posts long on tying in 240V directly with a multitude of thoughts and direction. This setup would be a quick solution for power to critical appliances for a short time.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Should work fine, the assumption is 2Ea plugs going to each leg of the 240V. You could test it with a blow dryer on each outlet and see what pro power screen shows.
That would be an assumption only. I have used three different adapters that plugged into the 240v socket and all of them tapped into only one circuit to get 120V. The adapters then split that one circuit among the output sockets. So, be careful with that assumption. I have yet to find an adapter that actually did what you suggested—tap into both circuits simultaneously and create two 3600 watt outputs at 120V. Even the test TFL did where they hooked up two RVs to the Powerboost used an adapter that was actually just a splitter that tapped into only one of the truck’s circuits. So, they were just dividing 3600 watts among two trailers.

OP
OP

Hendog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
That would be an assumption only. I have used three different adapters that plugged into the 240v socket and all of them tapped into only one circuit to get 120V. The adapters then split that one circuit among the output sockets. So, be careful with that assumption. I have yet to find an adapter that actually did what you suggested—tap into both circuits simultaneously and create two 3600 watt outputs at 120V. Even the test TFL did where they hooked up two RVs to the Powerboost used an adapter that was actually just a splitter that tapped into only one of the truck’s circuits. So, they were just dividing 3600 watts among two trailers.
Sounding more and more (in my case) like I should just get regular extension cords vs trying to get one that will plug in the 240. Unless I just wanted one for a HD appliance that accepts it. Thanks!

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
2 seconds with a meter or trouble light will confirm split.

Ford F-150 Lightning Use the 240V outlet for standard household plug in's? 1639074648398

OP
OP

Hendog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch

1639074648398.png
So, going with something like this would basically give me 6 standard plugs off the truck, yes?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost

1639074648398.png
That adapter is an interesting candidate because it’s rated for 7200 watts. When you read the fine print for adapters similar to this one they frequently are rated only for 3750 watts—basically splitters. This one might actually tap both circuits. Good find.

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum
That adapter is an interesting candidate because it’s rated for 7200 watts. When you read the fine print for adapters similar to this one they frequently are rated only for 3750 watts—basically splitters. This one might actually tap both circuits. Good find.

1639074648398.png
Hopefully it has a built in circuit breaker so it is not a fire hazard. To get the full 7.2 KW you will need to balance your loads on each side.

What appliances are you trying to run? You would be surprised how much stuff you can turn on with 2000 watts. (Excluding driers, washing machines, dishwashers, and vacuum cleaners.)

OP
OP

Hendog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Hopefully it has a built in circuit breaker so it is not a fire hazard. To get the full 7.2 KW you will need to balance your loads on each side.

What appliances are you trying to run? You would be surprised how much stuff you can turn on with 2000 watts. (Excluding driers, washing machines, dishwashers, and vacuum cleaners.)
I'm just seeing if a way to take full advantage and have the 7.2kw available. The way I understand it, you get 3,000 watts each or 6,000 watts total with the "standard" outlets. To get the full 7,200 watts, you need to be using the 240v plug which pulls from both. I'm sure the 6,000 would be fine in an outage. Now, I've read 3,000 each somewhere, but on the switch it says 2.4kw max. So IDK?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It is 2400W max for standard home receptacles (20A x 120V = 2400 W). You shouldn't exceed this even if the breaker/circuit can supply more because the wiring and connectors are not sufficiently sized for the increased amperage draw. If you do pull 30A from the 20A plug/cord, you are likely getting ready to set fire to one or more things in the circuit.

There are 30A, 120V (3600W) receptacles and plugs, but you probably aren't going to have them in your house since they're mainly on RVs. You can get pre-made cords to get 4800W from the 240V receptacle in the bed as mentioned, as it splits off the two hot legs into separate circuits. I have one in my truck made by Firman that I ordered from Costco, but there are several out there.
Sponsored