• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Using the generator port of hybrid inverters for home backup

world2steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
There is a thread about using the generator port on Sol Ark inverters connected to the 240v, 30a power port to supply power to homes with solar. For most of us this makes more sense than procuring proprietary technology to use the Lightning's battery as a backup power source. Unless you are willing to shell out additional money for SunRun's high voltage battery, using their Home Integration System implies a willingness to leave Lightnings connected in anticipation of power outages, which for most of us are still rare occurances.

With Sol Arks there do not appear to be any obvious reasons why Lightning batteries could not be used as supplement storage for systems with a minimal amount of lead acid AGM emergency power storage. But, like Sol Ark, I suspect there are no inverter makers willing to state that it can be - and maybe describing how to do it. Most likely, the same goes in spades for Ford/SunRun. I suspect there may be warranty issues.

Any ideas how we could get answers?
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
The Sol Ark 15K interfaces with a 48V battery, and the Lightning pack is hundreds of volts.

OP
OP

world2steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
We are talking interfacing to the 240v 30 amp power output port not directly to the Lightning battery pack.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
We are talking interfacing to the 240v 30 amp power output port not directly to the Lightning battery pack.
I see what you are saying now. Yous ha e to make sure the Sol Ark switches the neutral, and if it does you could use as a transfer switch.

Sponsored
OP
OP

world2steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Leaf SV+, 2016 Ram Big Horn
Occupation
watchmaker
What makes the most sense is just using a manual transfer switch to power your home in the event of an outage. If you are trying to create an integrated system similar to the Sunrun, the Sol Ark is a solid choice but lacks direct access to the battery and you loose a lot of efficiency due to inversion losses from the Sol Ark when charging and from the F150 when powering the Sol Ark generator port. Solar Edge offers inverters with built in EV charging and companies like Zappi in the UK and Europe offer EV chargers that just use the excess power from your solar panels to charge an EV.

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
I do not have 240v in the garage. So, I am planning on running a temp solution until I order and receive the Ford Pro charge ( I got an SR ) and the HIS. In the meantime, I will just add a 50A breaker, 6/4 6AWG, to NEMA 14-50 to hold me over. 110A, nobody got time for that. When I built my house I was on the cusp of 300, so they ran a 400A.
Sponsored