• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Weight limit roads / bridges are exceeded by our Lightnings - how will these EV trucks handle restrictions ?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
As I was driving in my work van, I noticed there were signs around a bridge that had 3T weight limit.

How is this weight limit restriction going to affect EVs that weigh more than 3 tons ?

EVs are going to become more common and the weight is a concern for not only bridges, but older roads that don't support commercial truck weights.

I know my Lightning is around 6500lbs unladen and the GVWR is 8200lbs (4 tons)...
Ford F-150 Lightning Weight limit roads / bridges are exceeded by our Lightnings - how will these EV trucks handle restrictions ? web1_TTL062819Bridge1
Sponsored

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
That’s life n a truck. Hopefully infrastructure improvements will trickle down.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
That’s life n a truck. Hopefully infrastructure improvements will trickle down.
Haha. There was a one lane bridge over a culvert that connected two midsized commercial districts in different municipalities. Cars would barely fit and you had to approach slowly to see if anyone was coming across it. A goober in a coal truck decided to try his luck. Of course, truck destroyed bridge and had to be pulled from ditch.
That was 30 years ago and neither municipal would work with the other to fix the bridge. Now bigger bridges are rusting out and any money will go their way. There ain’t that much trickle available.

Shady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xlt
meh for me I drive over it without a thought.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
wow, as though someone in a vehicle that was 6,000.01 lbs would suddenly 'break' the bridge : /

engineers come up with all sorts of ways to baffle us... it's just a guess to them, and maybe an educated on, but that bridge doesn't care what they say.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
wow, as though someone in a vehicle that was 6,000.01 lbs would suddenly 'break' the bridge : /

engineers come up with all sorts of ways to baffle us... it's just a guess to them, and maybe an educated on, but that bridge doesn't care what they say.
But the bridge doesn’t speak either, until it does.
Hey Ma, watch this.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As I was driving in my work van, I noticed there were signs around a bridge that had 3T weight limit.

How is this weight limit restriction going to affect EVs that weigh more than 3 tons ?

EVs are going to become more common and the weight is a concern for not only bridges, but older roads that don't support commercial truck weights.

I know my Lightning is around 6500lbs unladen and the GVWR is 8200lbs (4 tons)...
High end gas F-150s already are that weight. Throw 4 big guys in and all are. Nothing new here.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Haha. There was a one lane bridge over a culvert that connected two midsized commercial districts in different municipalities. Cars would barely fit and you had to approach slowly to see if anyone was coming across it. A goober in a coal truck decided to try his luck. Of course, truck destroyed bridge and had to be pulled from ditch.
That was 30 years ago and neither municipal would work with the other to fix the bridge. Now bigger bridges are rusting out and any money will go their way. There ain’t that much trickle available.
Probably right there about our little rural bridges! As it is, in my hybrid F150, I try to go slowly but smoothly across little country bridges. There is the old country joke about safety testing bridges - any time it doesn't collapse when you go over it, it's passed the test up to that weight. What you don't want to do is jam the brakes on, like hitting the bridge with a hammer.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
The gas F-150 has a GVWR of 8500 pounds with the max tow package. Unladen the gas truck weighs 4705 pounds which is 2.3 tons.

For comparison my Kia EV6 AWD (270 EPA range) weighs 4795 pounds (2.3 tons) so it would have no problem on the bridge — it basically weighs as much as the gas F-150. So EVs are indeed heavier but not by an insane amount given how many people drive big SUVs.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Well, pretty easy to tell what’s not crossing: Fire trucks, school buses, UPS, garbage trucks, concrete trucks, septic tank pump trucks, gas/propane delivery, any contractors-material delivery truck/welders trucks, bigger EMS vans, etc. Dinky wood stringer bridges & RR flat car (steel frame) common in rural areas. Not a problem till your house is on fire, etc.
Sponsored