• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

White House releases plan to build nationwide network of 500,000 EV chargers

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
You deserve a pat on the back from us all.
Just from myself. Gotta sleep at night.

My comment was more to idea that "EV's aren't there yet" but they really are as far as practicality. Looking at F150, I'd guess 90% of F150 owners would have 90% of their usage covered by the Lightning.

Idea that the grid is an issue is not real world. Even the worst in the US, the TX grid which has no backup for natural gas power plants, makes EV's viable for 90% of light pickup and autos. US grid overall is 99.995%.

Real issues are cost ($15k more) and availability.

On availability, wonder how many EV's are scheduled to be sold in '22 in US, close to 1M vs. 17M needed.

Tesla 400,000 in US
Ford 200,000 MachE and F150's
VW 30,000 ID4's
Audi 20,000 various
Kia/Hyundai 100,000
Others 100,000
Sponsored

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
FUD? More like realism. COVID the economy, Biden's metal state.....All smoking mirrors.
What is a smoking mirror? Is that anything like a doggy dog world?

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
LOL, Cant comment or the PC police will send me a No Political email. Even the internet isn't fun anymore.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
If you live in the mid Atlantic and upper midwest, electricity generation and distribution are not major concerns. With the demise of energy intensive heavy industry over the past 50 years, there is adequate electricity (and natural gas powered turbine generators) to power EV’s. Old nukes and coal fired units have been shut down with no possibility of starting back up.
I have no agenda for owning a Lightning other than I think it will be a good replacement for my old F150.
The other issue that people miss is the time period during the day when people actually charge EV's - the vast majority of charging is at low grid usage times - at night. The ONLY time I charge my EVs during the day is on road trips, which for most people is less than 5% of usage. In most places the grid is already set for nearly 100% EV conversion if that were to happen, which it will not for a very long time - because most people will NOT be charging at charging stations.

This is what non-EV drivers do not get - and is why all the fuss exists at the national level about building a lot of charging stations and bigger electricity infrastructure, much of which will not be needed. There is a misperception that we somehow need to replace gas stations with charging capacity. We do not. Owning an EV is no different than owning a cell phone or smart watch. You plug it in as part of your daily routine and you always start the day with a figurative full tank. I have my EVs set for slow charging to preserve the battery because, why not have it take ten or twelve hours to charge at 24 amps instead of the 60 amps that it CAN charge at in 3.5 hours?

All EVs allow you to set the start and stop time for charging and all EVs allow you to set the charging rate (speed or amps). I set mine to begin at 8PM and charge slower than it otherwise would. If we need it to charge faster for some specific use, I just use the phone app or car screen to increase the amps to maximum, and it finishes faster. Downrating the amps (charging speed) is only possible on Level 2 charging, not when Supercharging (DCFC) which always runs at the maximum handshake level for the car and the specific charging pylon that it is hooked up to.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
How soon we forget about the long lines at the gas pumps during fuel shortages. Imagine the mess some will have when the power goes out, random blackouts/brown outs. Charging EV’s is going to be much much worse than people think. I don’t care how many charging stations they build. You go to bed at night expecting your EV to be charged up only to find out the power was off and you got no way to work. We have got a long way to go before we figure this out. I bet there will be many EVs traded in for ICE vehicles in the next 10 years. I’m still hoping for a Lightning Pro but I won’t part with my ICE F150 Power Boost Hybrid.
Why are you here? Just to spread FUD? I remember when the rumor that a hurricane watered down the gas on the Gulf Coast in Texas and everyone made a run for gas. There were lines around every gas station for up to a mile, based on a rumor! Every station in San Antonio ran out of gas for well over a week. I've been through way more long lines for gas in my lifetime (I'm an old fart that remembers the OPEC embargos) than I have been waiting for the power to come on...that's saying something with the power outages we had in Texas last year!

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I, personally, don't want my EV to be 100% like an ICE. How stupid would that be? Zero innovation, zero advancement...

I'll take the "90% there" and enjoy all the awesomeness that EV brings us over an engine type that has had small bits of advancement over the past 100 years.

Everyone is talking about fear of range and not being able to stop at a gas station. I am looking forward to rarely having to stop at a dingy gas station again (unless I need a snack). I travel 60 miles RT a day, will plug in at my house every night.

All the normal trips I make with my family in a year I go less than 200 miles RT (Beach, camping, skiing, big city, airport). If I really really need to charge I'll stop at a Charging station once or twice a year, the time that I spend at a charging station will be SIGNIFICANTLY less than my wasted time annually at fossil fuel stations.

Yeah, you may need to wait for 45 minutes to charge at an EV station, but when your normal, everyday fuel source is at your house (at cheaper rates than those dingy fossil fuel stations) its still equates to less time wasted waiting for fill ups than an ICE.

I guess some people will miss the smell of gas fumes and inhaling carbon monoxide...not me.

I'm lucky, I'm #10 on the priority list at a large dealer in a ZEV state so I should get a '22.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Even the worst in the US, the TX grid which has no backup for natural gas power plants, makes EV's viable for 90% of light pickup and autos. US grid overall is 99.995%.
Texas grid is the biggest joke and a real embarrassment. Though, it's a great example to all those that hate government involvement and regulation, of the consequences.

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for your FUD. The vast majority of EVs are charged during low-demand hours once or twice a week. We'll be ok, even without the grid balancing and demand management that V2G and smart EVSEs allow.
What happens when when the grid is down for 17 days like Texas last winter. Guess no driving, I am in no hurry to jump on the band wagon, ICE for me for many years to come

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I, personally, don't want my EV to be 100% like an ICE. How stupid would that be? Zero innovation, zero advancement...

I'll take the "90% there" and enjoy all the awesomeness that EV brings us over an engine type that has had small bits of advancement over the past 100 years.

Everyone is talking about fear of range and not being able to stop at a gas station. I am looking forward to rarely having to stop at a dingy gas station again (unless I need a snack). I travel 60 miles RT a day, will plug in at my house every night.

All the normal trips I make with my family in a year I go less than 200 miles RT (Beach, camping, skiing, big city, airport). If I really really need to charge I'll stop at a Charging station once or twice a year, the time that I spend at a charging station will be SIGNIFICANTLY less than my wasted time annually at fossil fuel stations.

Yeah, you may need to wait for 45 minutes to charge at an EV station, but when your normal, everyday fuel source is at your house (at cheaper rates than those dingy fossil fuel stations) its still equates to less time wasted waiting for fill ups than an ICE.

I guess some people will miss the smell of gas fumes and inhaling carbon monoxide...not me.

I'm lucky, I'm #10 on the priority list at a large dealer in a ZEV state so I should get a '22.
Wow good for you. You dont like dingy gas stations but stop for a gourmet lunch, LMFAO. Good luck.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I think the only problem with the Texas electric grid is that they shut down too many coal plants too soon.
The second problem is similar to what California has where they have to shut down power in case of fire simply because too many people sued. Who'd have thought anybody in California would have sued?
Currently Texas is leading the way on 0 emission green energy windmills, PV's.
There's enough wind energy in Texas and thermal energy to power the entire United States.
If one looks at the amount of energy used based on per capita in Texas the amount has remained relatively stable over the past 20 years due to more efficient lighting and energy efficient appliances.
I've been charging my electric vehicles for the past 4 years and noticed no change in my monthly bill.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
There's enough wind energy in Texas and thermal energy to power the entire United States.
Too bad the TX interconnection doesn't share that energy with the Eastern or Western Interconnections.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
How soon we forget about the long lines at the gas pumps during fuel shortages.
Another advantage of EVs is that the price of electricity is stable from month to month (at least where I live) and not subject to change based on a politician's tweets or an OPEC meeting on the other side of the world.

Also, it's hard to pump gas when there's no electricity so the blackout/brownout FUD makes no sense.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
TX Green house gas emissions 2.7 million tons
CA Green house gas emissions 2.3 million tons

CA has 25% more people.
CA has 30% more GDP

TX does well due to the solar and wind power and also the switch to local natural gas. In regard to reliability, the lack or regs allowed them to build them with no thought for cold weather. Hopefully TX fixed that. But overall US grid reliability is 99.95% so the idea EV's are somehow hampered by an unreliable grid is not factual.

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT SR , '93 Mustang GT, '11 E450
TX does well due to the solar and wind power and also the switch to local natural gas. In regard to reliability, the lack or regs allowed them to build them with no thought for cold weather. Hopefully TX fixed that. But overall US grid reliability is 99.95% so the idea EV's are somehow hampered by an unreliable grid is not factual.
I don't think Texas built wind and solar with "no thought for cold weather". I think they did what everyone else does and planned for nearly-worst-case instead of absolute-worst-case. I don't blame them for that - if they had planned for the 100-year weather event we had last year, people would have been screaming about how much money was "wasted" preparing for an event that would probably never happen in their lifetime.

As for Texas vs. California, I am pretty happy with my 11-cents-per-KWh rate and net metering for on-site solar here in Texas.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Also, it's hard to pump gas when there's no electricity so the blackout/brownout FUD makes no sense.
You’re correct but when the power comes back on, ICE fuel up much faster, than EVs.

Sponsored