• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will 18's look too small on my Lariat PB??

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
I have to get my truck ordered today..

So stuck on whether to get the MTP which requires 20's or the standard tow package that has 18's. It essentially makes the MTP a $2200 option for me. (ugh)

Anyway, during the course of my research, I've seen tons of pics of the Lariat 502a and probably 90% of them have 20's (stock).

I promise I'm usually a utility over looks kind of guy, but after seeing so many pics with 20's, when I run across one with 18's, they almost appear to comically small.

I love that the ride would be better with 18's (although not sure how much tbh). I love that tires would be cheaper. I love that there is less chance of curb rash (multiple drivers in my house). I would love an extra 2g's in my pocket. I like the fact that (I think) the 18's have Michelin (sp) tires.

BUT

I don't want to spend 70 freaking thousand dollars on a truck that kinf of ....well....looks almost silly (or cheap) because of 18's..

Am I being reasonable? I

What do you guys think? Is the ride much better on 18's (whole post refers to stock wheels and tires only). WWYD?

TIA
Aaron
Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
My 502A came with 18’s and I think they look good. Difference is maybe that is sport instead of chrome? It’s also FX4 and Max Tow so may be from one of those.
My only ride quality complaint is because I switched tires to Duratracs so I could use them in winter also and they are noticeably worse ride than the stock wranglers. The OEM tires were good but never drove a 20” to compare.
Edit: attaching photo from when they put tires on

Last edited:

RR89

First Name
Poindexter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150
You're right that a lot of people seem to get the 20s. I think they look good but the extra weight, mpg hit, and smoother ride keeps me an 18er for life. :)

dew.man

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
lots
To each his own but I like my 18s LOL And I do have the max tow.

Purchased off the lot with the sport 20s and switched them out for factory 18s. Then swapped the GY for some Michelin defenders.
Ford F-150 Lightning Will 18's look too small on my Lariat PB?? IMG_2866

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
To each his own but I like my 18s LOL And I do have the max tow.

Purchased off the lot with the sport 20s and switched them out for factory 18s. Then swapped the GY for some Michelin defenders.
IMG_2866.jpg
Do you take the defenders in the dirt at all? I know they are a highway tire but I’m curious if anyone takes them off-road at all. I drive a fair number of unmaintained fire roads (Colorado high mountain passes mostly) so nothing too gnarly but definitely a fair amount of steep loose stuff. I drive about 90% highway so don’t need them most of the time but just something that can be competent when getting to a trailhead. I currently have Wrangler Duratracs and they have eaten up everything I’ve thrown at them but honestly feel like overkill.

OP
OP
guppydriver

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
I should have clarified.

My 18 vs. 20 dilemma is based on the chromes. I actually love the 18’s on sports and you CAN get the max tow package with 18’s on the sport. I wouldn’t even sweat it if this were the case.

However , to get the color I want (AM Blue), I am unable to get the sport appearance package. Now when you add a MTP to the 502a with standard 18 chromes, it forces you into 20’s for some reason.

It’s the chrome 18’s I was referring to in my OP….please carry on. Advice wanted.

F150SWPlat

First Name
Aleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 2021-2022
Occupation
IT
There is absolutely no benefit to 20s over 18s other than “my wheels are bigger” look that comes with it. If you are after a more comfortable ride get 18s with taller tires.

I find it ridiculously funny when reviewers of f150 Limited complain that their ride is really bumpy and wakes up their sleeping kids in the back of the cab. Well, you overpaid for those 22s and now you’re complaining?

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have 18’s coming on my truck. If I could I’d replace them with 17’s but 17’s don’t fit on max tow trucks.

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
To me the 18s look wimpy on a truck, 20 is the one way to go for me.

Sponsored

bigman6166

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Law Enforcement
There is absolutely no benefit to 20s over 18s other than “my wheels are bigger” look that comes with it. If you are after a more comfortable ride get 18s with taller tires.

I find it ridiculously funny when reviewers of f150 Limited complain that their ride is really bumpy and wakes up their sleeping kids in the back of the cab. Well, you overpaid for those 22s and now you’re complaining?
lol yep, spot on. What do you expect when your rolling on damn near just rims.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I like 34”s no matter the rim size. I like 20” rims with street tires (Michelin LTX etc) and 18’s with AT (AT3’s etc).

Txm

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 F150, 22 F150 501 on order.
Occupation
Paramedic
I’m still waiting on my 22 to get built but I have 18s on my 19 and I think that they’re awesome. Just pair them with a beefy tire

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
lol yep, spot on. What do you expect when your rolling on damn near just rims.
My overpriced Limited wheels ride like a dream. Even with my “rubber band” tires. ;)

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Lariat Sport (sold)
Occupation
Software
I have the standard aluminum lariat wheels. I always get complements.

And the performance benefits are real - feels way faster than my parents' Platinum Powerboost with the 20's, 33 inch tires + extra platinum weight.

Ford F-150 Lightning Will 18's look too small on my Lariat PB?? Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 4.38.23 PM
Sponsored