• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will the Lightning support a snow plow?

OP
OP
GarageMahal

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Just built a snow plow mount for my Lightning!

Details please! Im very interested to see how it is attached to the truck. Also how are you powering it?

Thanks!
Jta

CyberBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E GTPE, 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 EV
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just got it working for the first time last night, so it has some work left to go. But the main points are:

I removed the tow hooks from the front and put some 3" x 0.25" thick square tube that mount to them. Then that is welded through a piece of angle to the "universal mounting bracket" that came with the DK2 Everest snow plow. I can already tell that the angle iron piece is not strong enough and I need to beef it up before taking it out in the snow, but that will be easy enough. Total parts cost is maybe $50 (a 24" piece of 3x3x0.25 square tube), but you'll need a welder (I used TIG) and an angle grinder and drill press and stuff, and having two transmission jacks was handy to hold everything in place while tack welding it on the truck.

For 12V power I plugged it onto the battery in the frunk with a 100A resettable fuse. It snakes under around the passenger side wheel well and out the front where the tow hook was. I am monitoring the voltage in the cabin and it barely drops when moving the plow around, so long as the truck is on, of course. All of the worries about 12V performance seem to be completely unnecessary. The hand control plugs into the plow, so I will need to drill a hole somewhere to run it into the cabin.

Installation and removal is simple - it's just 4 M12 bolts.

I installed the mount the way I did because there aren't accessible bolt holes on the F150 Lightning's frame rail, and there is a bunch of covering pieces that are in the way. And if I tried to mount behind the front fascia the active air dam is in the way, and the lowest trim piece of the fascia sits lower than the mount can mounted - so I would have to hook around anyway. I had to cut the rear ~5" or so off of the universal mount that came with the plow in order to move it back farther, just to reduce the amount of overhang.

OP
OP
GarageMahal

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I just got it working for the first time last night, so it has some work left to go. But the main points are:

I removed the tow hooks from the front and put some 3" x 0.25" thick square tube that mount to them. Then that is welded through a piece of angle to the "universal mounting bracket" that came with the DK2 Everest snow plow. I can already tell that the angle iron piece is not strong enough and I need to beef it up before taking it out in the snow, but that will be easy enough. Total parts cost is maybe $50 (a 24" piece of 3x3x0.25 square tube), but you'll need a welder (I used TIG) and an angle grinder and drill press and stuff, and having two transmission jacks was handy to hold everything in place while tack welding it on the truck.

For 12V power I plugged it onto the battery in the frunk with a 100A resettable fuse. It snakes under around the passenger side wheel well and out the front where the tow hook was. I am monitoring the voltage in the cabin and it barely drops when moving the plow around, so long as the truck is on, of course. All of the worries about 12V performance seem to be completely unnecessary. The hand control plugs into the plow, so I will need to drill a hole somewhere to run it into the cabin.

Installation and removal is simple - it's just 4 M12 bolts.

I installed the mount the way I did because there aren't accessible bolt holes on the F150 Lightning's frame rail, and there is a bunch of covering pieces that are in the way. And if I tried to mount behind the front fascia the active air dam is in the way, and the lowest trim piece of the fascia sits lower than the mount can mounted - so I would have to hook around anyway. I had to cut the rear ~5" or so off of the universal mount that came with the plow in order to move it back farther, just to reduce the amount of overhang.
Keep us posted. I was also thinking the tow hooks were the best place to attach to the truck. Looking forward to seeing how things progress.

Any detailed pictures of the attach points are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored