• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will the Lightning support a snow plow?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
First the snow measurement had to do with how much power it will require to move the snow.

Seconds Lots of articles and videos go over this. It's common knowledge regarding EVs.

https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-range/

As you turn up or down the temperature, however, the loss of range is apparent. At -15 C (5 F), EVs drop to 54% of their rated range, meaning a car that is rated for 250 miles (402 km) will only get on average 135 miles (217 km).
I can pull a bunch of numbers and put them on a website too....doesn't make it the truth.
I don't see any actual data or testing with vehicles to support this claim.
Sponsored

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
There are lots of low volume sports cars with large aftermarket parts availability and, ultimately, the Lightning will not be low volume. Porsche sells like 3,000 Caymans a year and there's a huge aftermarket presence for those cars. They've sold less than 50,000 Caymans in the US since the car was released in 2006. The Lightning will pass that in a year if Ford can get its production straight. Early release aftermarket parts for the Lightning will definitely carry a big premium, though.
I’m about as likely to put a snowplow on a Lightning as on a Cayman. The Lightning is to drive in a snowstorm to pick up hot coffee and donuts. Or maybe to the slopes in Aspen. It’s just way too nice a vehicle to trash with a snowplow. I’ll keep an old truck for that, and if I can afford a Lightning affording a spare old truck should be no problem.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Yep doesn't change what I said. First part said sure you can, so yep knock yourself out with your 250 foot driveway.

Do you have some data about how much plowing might affect range or was the 20 miles just a WAG?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’m about as likely to put a snowplow on a Lightning as on a Cayman. The Lightning is to drive in a snowstorm to pick up hot coffee and donuts. Or maybe to the slopes in Aspen. It’s just way too nice a vehicle to trash with a snowplow. I’ll keep an old truck for that, and if I can afford a Lightning affording a spare old truck should be no problem.
I like the color on your Cayman, is that a wrap?

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
First the snow measurement had to do with how much power it will require to move the snow.

Seconds Lots of articles and videos go over this. It's common knowledge regarding EVs.

As you turn up or down the temperature, however, the loss of range is apparent. At -15 C (5 F), EVs drop to 54% of their rated range, meaning a car that is rated for 250 miles (402 km) will only get on average 135 miles (217 km).
The actual chemistry will have a lot to do with the loss...do we know the actual chemistry of the SK Innovation pack? I'm pretty sure it will be an NMC, but I have no idea if it is a 622, 721, or 811 (or even possibly 9 1/2 1/2 that I know are coming?) mixture. BTW, I test static capacity and power capacity at 0 and -20 C, and cold crank power at -30 C. Are you SURE you lose 54% of capacity at -15 C regardless of the composition of the cell? What convinces you that this very specific percentage is true other than the claims in the article? Does the Battery Management System (BMS) maybe play a role in maintaining the internal temperature of the pack regardless of the outside temperature?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer

You still haven't explained how you came up with the 20 mile figure.

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
It's not a full EV but our Prius Prime loses about 10% range during our Wisconsin winters.

Ted

smiaj

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Town and Country, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Technician
Let's not forget that most EVs use 200-800Vdc not the standard 12V

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Let's not forget that most EVs use 200-800Vdc not the standard 12V
They still have a 12V system to run most of the accessories, including a 12V battery

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
The Tesla system includes a heater for the battery pack to raise the temp of the coolant that circulates thru the pack. Maybe Ford has thought through cold weather driving...

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Another related question I have is... how will the Frunk affect crash ratings. With some frame changes and obvious removal of the engine, crumple zones could be affected, etc. Will be interesting to see how that all plays out, also regarding your plow question.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Another related question I have is... how will the Frunk affect crash ratings.
I've read that the frunk will open when a crash with a pedestrian or animal is imminent in order to soften the blow. Will be great for rutting season.

(kidding)

smiaj

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Town and Country, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Technician
The Boss HTX line comes in under 400lbs which should be fine. Totally agree the a professional plow is too heavy.

DC power is my main concern and I have not been able to get any firm answers on capability. Hopefully its a simple as adding another 12v battery to buffer the draw.
I would think that with a high voltage available 200-800 volts that a stronger higher voltage motor can be used that uses less amps. This would allow smaller wires and less draw over all so might not need a buffer for the power being used.
Sponsored