• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I'd like to see where Ford led everyone to believe this would be the case. I'll wait......
Based on the survey I thought we would roll in at ~$12-13k upcharge for the ER battery plus "goodie" package. But I don't think this was bait and switch. People often see what they want to see.

I suggest all of you upset by the pricing should teach Ford a lesson by canceling your reservation pronto!!
Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I'd like to see where Ford led everyone to believe this would be the case. I'll wait......
At the press unveiling, there was a sign that said the ER battery would be $10k for the Pro.

In the survey they sent out, the ER battery was a $7k option.

Even if they never *officially* stated that the price would be $60k or $63k ($53k XLT + either $7k or $10k for the ER battery), they put information out there and it was basically a unanimous belief by anyone following the Lightning that the XLT ER would start at $60k-$63k.

Ford absolutely knew that and let people believe it for 8 months when they could have managed expectations, so now there are a bunch of people surprised that the cheapest ER F-150 is $74k.

Is that a "bait and switch"? Debatable. Did Ford "lead people to believe" it would be $60k-$63k? Yes.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Based on the survey I thought we would roll in at ~$12-13k upcharge for the ER battery plus "goodie" package. But I don't think this was bait and switch. People often see what they want to see.

I suggest all of you upset by the pricing should teach Ford a lesson by canceling your reservation pronto!!
Yeah, I figured there would be sticker shock. A lot of reservation holders weren't paying attention smh

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I wanna meet the dude cross shopping an ID4 or Ioniq and a Lightning ?

You'd be surprised how many people commute in an f150 when they could be completely be fine in a ho hum crossover.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I really don't mean to attack you personally, but the pedantics are getting annoying. Someone doesn't need to explicitly say something to be misleading. Ford has been making a mainstream truck for decades and they pitched this one to be the same thing, but electric. All their marketing says it can do everything the gas truck can do, but better. I am not going to look for a direct quote, but I assure you Ford has said on multiple occasions the extended range battery is not available at retail on the Pro, but it is on the XLT. Did they lie? No. Did they lead you to believe you could just bump up a trim and get it? Yes. In reality it's 2 trims, and they're priced way off from general expectations.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
At the press unveiling, there was a sign that said the ER battery would be $10k for the Pro.

In the survey they sent out, the ER battery was a $7k option.

Even if they never *officially* stated that the price would be $60k or $63k ($53k XLT + either $7k or $10k for the ER battery), they put information out there and it was basically a unanimous belief by anyone following the Lightning that the XLT ER would start at $60k-$63k.

Ford absolutely knew that and let people believe it for 8 months when they could have managed expectations, so now there are a bunch of people surprised that the cheapest ER F-150 is $74k.
Well then it's Ford's loss I guess. The Silverado is coming out in two days, Cybertruck in a couple of months and the Rivian is at full production. No need to fell like you've been baited and switched. I'm sure Fleet buyers are having fun right now ordering their Pro's with Extended batteries.......

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I really don't mean to attack you personally, but the pedantics are getting annoying. Someone doesn't need to explicitly say something to be misleading. Ford has been making a mainstream truck for decades and they pitched this one to be the same thing, but electric. All their marketing says it can do everything the gas truck can do, but better. I am not going to look for a direct quote, but I assure you Ford has said on multiple occasions the extended range battery is not available at retail on the Pro, but it is on the XLT. Did they lie? No. Did they lead you to believe you could just bump up a trim and get it? Yes. In reality it's 2 trims, and they're priced way off from general expectations.
O.k you're right. We were baited and switched. Time to move on.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX
Occupation
Engineer
Copied from the Ford Media Website

"Electric capability, more power on tap at an affordable price - Starting at an MSRP* of $39,974, F-150 Lightning Pro offers value and performance with standard range battery and dual motor power 4x4 targeting 426 horsepower** and a targeted EPA-estimated 230 miles of range†; available extended-range version targeting 563 horsepower** and a targeted EPA-estimated range of 300 miles† starts at an MSRP* of $49,974"

I think Ford did a poor job of clarifying what would be available commercially, and what would be available to normal retail customers.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...1/05/24/all-electric-f-150-lightning-pro.html

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Copied from the Ford Media Website

"Electric capability, more power on tap at an affordable price - Starting at an MSRP* of $39,974, F-150 Lightning Pro offers value and performance with standard range battery and dual motor power 4x4 targeting 426 horsepower** and a targeted EPA-estimated 230 miles of range†; available extended-range version targeting 563 horsepower** and a targeted EPA-estimated range of 300 miles† starts at an MSRP* of $49,974"

I think Ford did a poor job of clarifying what would be available commercially, and what would be available to normal retail customers.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...1/05/24/all-electric-f-150-lightning-pro.html
O.k. I admit, we were baited and switched. I mean, what can we really do now except show our disgust by cancelling the Reservation and moving on. As a matter of fact, that would be my suggestion, cancel immediately.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
O.k you're right. We were baited and switched. Time to move on.
Whatever my case may be - I see you have yours all picked out. I hope it's everything we all thought it would be, and I look forward to your thoughts on it :)

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Whatever my case may be - I see you have yours all picked out. I hope it's everything we all thought it would be, and I look forward to your thoughts on it :)
Thanks. I have it picked out but I love my ICE F-150 so I am still not sure if I want to do it.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
You'd be surprised how many people commute in an f150 when they could be completely be fine in a ho hum crossover.
Ok well then with that logic they don’t need a truck at all, so why would they need a Lightning? ? I’m sure they have a use for the truck at least occasionally.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX
Occupation
Engineer
I met and struck up conversations with several folks at the ride event in DC that was held at FEDEX field. Like on this board, I talked to them about pros/cons of Rivian/Lightning. The comment I heard from 4 other guys while waiting was - They all planned to get the XLT ER and all said they liked but couldn't afford the Rivian. It's anecdotal and a small sample size, but most folks I talked to expected the XLT ER to be priced much less.

I'm going to keep my reservation until I have to make a final purchase choice. I'd still consider the Pro if my dealer said I could order one soon.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Thanks. I have it picked out but I love my ICE F-150 so I am still not sure if I want to do it.
Thus my dilemma.
The ONLY way I can have both the Powerboost and the Lightning is to wait Ford out for a Pro.
If I'm going to have one of two at a high trim level, it'll be the one I would sit in for long periods of time. Traveling and towing the RV.
A $75000 Powerboost is more capable/versatile than a $75000 Lightning.

Besides, if Ford knew me, they would NEVER sell me a Lightning. I'm going to drive the wheels off that thing.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
As I've posted on another thread, I'm in the exact same situation as you....and we aren't alone. I'm just hoping Rivian doesn't use Ford's pricing as justification to increase theirs.
The XLT ER is a ridiculously poor value compared to the R1T. If you have a relatively early reservation for an R1T and live near a Rivian service center, I think you'd be crazy to buy an XLT ER.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.