• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dolfanrich13

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Military
I'm not gonna try to say you one way or the other, however, ford is making these options a pretty significant financial decision for most folks to have to think over. For beyond 70k, ya gotta factor in range cushion you may need for situations you may encounter on a daily basis so those 40-70 miles will most likely help you get where you need to go. I had a tesla model 3 and it got 210 miles of range. My daily commute is 100 miles, not include running errands if I needed to. Colder weather affects the battery and reduced my battery to 170-ish miles so I would need to stop somewhere abd actually get a quick charge just to make it back home. That's the way it was. If I just had 50 more miles of range, I could've made it home every day and charged cheaper in my garage. Trust me. You will learn alot and have alot of fun when we finally get these trucks. But it's range that will help lots of folks to plan fir their trips abd daily comutes/situations. Unfortunately, it's gonna cost us up front, but I'm telling myself, " no regrets" as ove gotta have the range as the most important thing in my truck...it's a must have for me...ya just never know when you'll need that extra cushion. But when you do, you've got it!
great insight thank you! I have a plug in Wrangler 4xe and I get 25 miles to the charge which gets me to work and back and haven’t paid for gas since I bought it. I love this thing! I was content on paying 70k but 80 is where I start getting effy. Damn you Ford lol. I guess it could be worse like Chevy with their first trucks costing 105k!!
Sponsored

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
I'm hoping that both the SR battery and the ER battery packs will actually go further than advertised. That could possibly make lots of customers happy. But yes I'm going for the cushion that the ER battery will provide, because to me, when I need that extra 40-60 miles, I have it, no worries. Even though, dang I had to spend nearly 80k to get it....that part is hard to digest. ugghhh!!

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Talk me out of getting the SR with tow package…. Is the extra 70 miles worth the money if I am going to be towing a small camper around
With towing I think you want all the range you can get. The only real brick/truck like vehicle we can compare against for EV towing performance right now is the Rivian R1T. Reports have shown (youtube) it getting half of its normal range when towing 6000-8000 lbs. So 150 miles on the Lightning ER or 115 in a SR.

Dolfanrich13

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Military
With towing I think you want all the range you can get. The only real brick/truck like vehicle we can compare against for EV towing performance right now is the Rivian R1T. Reports have shown (youtube) it getting half of its normal range when towing 6000-8000 lbs. So 150 miles on the Lightning ER or 115 in a SR.
terrible might have to get the SR and have the wife tow with her ICE haha

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
A few other differences:

Sync 4 vs. Sync 4a (bigger screen)
Tail gate signature lightning (light bar)
Body color mirror caps and handles (if you care about that)
Better (B&O) audio system

All said - Ventilated seats are very nice in the summer if you have never had them. I love them in my GT350!
Sync 4A has a lot of new features and capabilities Sync 4 does not. Sync 4 is really just an update Sync 3. The difference is more than just screen size and orientation.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Sync 4A has a lot of new features and capabilities Sync 4 does not. Sync 4 is really just an update Sync 3. The difference is more than just screen size and orientation.
Agreed - was just trying to make a quick list.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian towing was slightly better in one evaluation, only about 45% loss but you can be sure it will be at least 40%. That means plan for a range of 150/115 and hope for better results.

The good news is the Ford nav system does a great job of estimating range on the fly, planning your charging stops for you. The system has worked well on my Mustang Mach E.

Finally, while range is 150/115 you generally will only go down to 10-20% before charging and usually only DC Fast Charge to 80% (maybe 90 in Lightning). That means effectively 90-150 miles between charging stops with the ER and 60-100 for the SR.

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s a short list of differences on that Ford page you cited. 4A has adaptive cards to speed switching between applications, multiple personal profiles, and the system that learns your usualActivities. It is also required to step up to the Four Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 for enhanced safety and Cruise Control capabilities.
Sync 4 is built on the old Sync 3 software architecture, whereas Sync 4A is a newer architecture.

Sponsored

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Model Y and Lightning on order
Am I missing something with the range? Isn’t 230-300 with 1000lbs payload already? I remember seeing leaks stating that the ER showed around 460 miles on the dash with no payload. Was this not true?

Also, has anyone gotten an email from ford to order today? I called my dealer trying to order and make sure I’m in the first wave but they said I need to wait for an email from ford saying I can.

Ccarm6

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150 Lightning
Anyone been able to order yet? My dealer says they haven’t been notified of their ordering timetable (last the dealer was told by Ford it would be sometime in January) and I was told I’m on their priority list of 10

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR
That’s a short list of differences on that Ford page you cited. 4A has adaptive cards to speed switching between applications, multiple personal profiles, and the system that learns your usualActivities. It is also required to step up to the Four Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 for enhanced safety and Cruise Control capabilities.
Sync 4 is built on the old Sync 3 software architecture, whereas Sync 4A is a newer architecture.
There is very little difference between SYNC 4 and SYNC 4A.

There are a couple of main features of SYNC 4A that distinguish it from SYNC 4:
  • Adaptive Dash Cards
  • Automatic placement of frequently used dash items at the top of the screen
And that's it. Ford Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 is available on the XLT trim, so obviously does not require Sync 4A.

vardelda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Falcon9
Occupation
Gemini
I realize some of you will buy Platinum just for the premium options. But when I configure a Lariat + Extended Battery w/Tow Tech ($79,169) and then a Platinum ($92,569), I don't see much value for the additional $13,400? Rear Heated Seats, Sound Upgrade, Wheel Upgrade, Premium Interior, Active Motion Front Seats, Max Tow -- Am I missing something? All these options are a few hundred dollars each, where's the other $7k-$9k in added value?
Sponsored