• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Obviously so many here are new to the Ford Lightning scene. Funny how newbies are about vehicles these days.

No one here on this forum can get a 2021 F-150 and mod it to run the speeds that the new Lightning ER will be able to achieve, for an Equal or Lesser price tag, so everyone please stop complaining.

I don’t see anyone whining about the new GT 500 price tag for a slightly more than basic vehicle with a ton of horsepower and a automated manual double clutch transmission.

Maybe you folks should wake up and realize that the ER is a sport truck that can also tow 10,000 lbs.

Maybe you XLT Lightning wanting folks should look at it as a blessing that Ford even expanded their line up to include a lesser version of the Lightning, albeit in XLT trim.

The Lightning ER is a race truck and is being marketed at a niche audience. If you aren’t in that specific audience then you are 100% complaining about something made with someone else in mind.

All you people here wanting a lighting but have no clue what a lightning is even supposed to be, other than some EV, need to wake up and realize that there is no need to put 560+ HP in an electric truck that can only tow 10,000 lbs, unless you purpose built it to be fast.

And you can keep the Rivian. I don’t want a Ranger Sized truck. Ford has been building trucks since the beginning of trucks nearly. So, you can expect it will still be a truck, with the hood stuff where a truck needs it. I’m not so sure about Rivian unibody thing, because it looks small and flimsy.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Yes the SR vs. ER differences will come in at higher speeds. They will both launch the same (SR slightly faster due to less weight), but then the SR will start to looks torque earlier as the battery hits limits. Best swag I have is the SR will hold full torque until 30 or 35 and the ER will hold it until 45ish. Everywhere above 30/35 the ER will be faster than the SR.
It sounds like the driving experience isn't likely to be very different between the two trucks.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Obviously so many here are new to the Ford Lightning scene. Funny how newbies are about vehicles these days.

No one here on this forum can get a 2021 F-150 and mod it to run the speeds that the new Lightning ER will be able to achieve, for an Equal or Lesser price tag, so everyone please stop complaining.

I don’t see anyone whining about the new GT 500 price tag for a slightly more than basic vehicle with a ton of horsepower and a automated manual double clutch transmission.

Maybe you folks should wake up and realize that the ER is a sport truck that can also tow 10,000 lbs.

Maybe you XLT Lightning wanting folks should look at it as a blessing that Ford even expanded their line up to include a lesser version of the Lightning, albeit in XLT trim.

The Lightning ER is a race truck and is being marketed at a niche audience. If you aren’t in that specific audience then you are 100% complaining about something made with someone else in mind.

All you people here wanting a lighting but have no clue what a lightning is even supposed to be, other than some EV, need to wake up and realize that there is no need to put 560+ HP in an electric truck that can only tow 10,000 lbs, unless you purpose built it to be fast.

And you can keep the Rivian. I don’t want a Ranger Sized truck. Ford has been building trucks since the beginning of trucks nearly. So, you can expect it will still be a truck, with the hood stuff where a truck needs it. I’m not so sure about Rivian unibody thing, because it looks small and flimsy.
Please tone it down just a notch. It’s a little too early in the morning for lengthy lectures. Thank you so much!

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I'm guessing the "software" is different in the SR, but yes, same motors. (you KNOW there's going to be tuners licking their chops)

Anyone in an SR that's disappointed in the performance can let me know and I'll take it off their hands AND give them my reservation so they can get right back in line. :)
The inverter is different for the ER model. That is how it can charge more battery capacity faster. If the electric motors are exactly the same (haven’t seen part numbers yet, so please feel free to correct me), then the ER purchasers are paying extra for all the high power motors going in the SR trucks.

I really don’t think Ford doesn’t put parts in vehicles unless someone somewhere pays for those parts. So either the SR owners are getting cheap high horsepower motors, or the ER owners are paying for that deficit.

This commentary lacks common sense folks. Let’s step up our analytical thinking please.

If people here think that the lightning is being targeted at them (the ones complaining about the ER price tag) they are grossly mistaken and Ford is just sitting back laughing at you while saying “dang kid thinks he wants to be in the Lightning Club….. Next”.

Just so everyone here understands the principles of the free market… and that means no one is forcing you to buy a lighting. But if you want it, and you want the real lightning, you’re going to get the ER and you’re going to be happy to pay the price. All others can exit the lightning club if you don’t have what it takes.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

:censored:

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
If I'm not mistaken, the SR is supposed to be less than a second slower than the ER.
Also the SR will support the home backup.
The 2001 svt lightning had a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds. The SR 2022+ should be that quick as well. Or pretty damn close. And guess what, high altitude won't affect the horsepower.

But you know what. I don't give a shit because I don't think I'll ever actually drive it that fast. And my 215 hp in my current 20 year old truck tows my camper trailer just fine so the 400+ of the SR will certainly be more than adequate.
However, I would really love to have the extra 30-50 miles range when towing because as of today, on some routes that I might take to go camping, that extra range makes the difference between being able to make the journey or not. But for $20k I'm going to have to make due without. I can afford a $50k truck, I could probably stretch to afford a $60k truck, but there's no way I can afford (or want to buy) a $75k truck. So ya I understand why a lot of people are disappointed that the ER option ended up being bundled with an additional $10k option package.

It's good that we are talking about it here because I can assure you that the high level executives at Ford are aware of this forum and what people are discussing.
And they aren’t the only ones. Several articles I’ve seen in my regular news feed lately mentioned this forum as one of their sources.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer

Uhh... what?

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread). {filename}

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread). {filename}

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread). f-150-lightning-2

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread). f-150-lightning-2

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread). 22_FRD_F15_BEV_53681_16x9

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread). tning-atlas-blue-rapid-red-metallic-pics-6-jpg-

Yeah. "race truck" :rolleyes:

Perfect example of people hearing what they want to hear.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
If you want a real Lightning, just get a single Cab with a Coyote, throw a Whipple on it and call it a day. It won't have AWD, it won't be efficient and it still won't beat an EV Lightning off the line.

I'll repeat myself again, people are pissed at the "Bundle take it or leave it" approach from Ford.

Last edited:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The Ford F-150 Lightning. When I get those 3 words I think of 351ci pushrod V8. I then think of 5.4 SOHC with 380HP and even more gobs of asphalt twisting torque. What I think of a lightning, as the logo suggests (lightning bolt), it’s something that is very fast. The people that can purchase something branded a lightning that are has less range and less horsepower in Sporting around like it’s a real lightning should feel lucky. All of you that are whining and complaining about a $20,000 price tag for the extended range lightning clearly don’t understand what it comes with that $20,000 price tag.
ER vs SR is nothing even remotely like comparing the regular 2001 F-150 vs the 2001 gas Lightning, for instance. The Lightning had performance suspension and brakes, different interior, different taillights, different bumper, unique wheels, high performance tires, almost 50% more horsepower. The Lightning's 0-60 advantage was measured in seconds, not tenths... the list goes on.

The difference between the new Lightning SR and Lightning ER is microscopic in comparison. The main difference IS range and charging, not performance.

The Lightning SR is quicker to 60 than the quickest gas Lightning.

In practice, I bet the Pro SR is very competitive with a Lariat/Platinum ER 0-60 considering the weight difference and the way EVs with bigger batteries normally deliver their additional power compared to smaller-battery siblings (see Model 3 SR vs LR RWD, where the 0-60 difference was minimal in practice).

The ER doesn't have any "solar and powerwall built into the heavy amperage inverter"... the SR can do those things, too. The inverter for that is outside the truck.

No, the ER doesn't cost meaningfully less for Ford to add to the higher trim vehicles.

It's not the fastest production truck on the planet. The R1T and Hummer are quicker.

Fact is, the $10k required package that people are upset about (Not me. I've never wanted an XLT anyway), is completely unrelated to performance. It's all luxury stuff that "rEAl lIGHtNiNg pEOplE" probably wouldn't care about anyway.

I've owned multiple Mustangs. One of my best friends had an '03 Cobra which I drove many times. My dad Coyote-swapped his '01 Bullitt, the first New Edge car with a Coyote engine, which was featured in 5.0 Mustang Magazine and at Ford's display at the Woodward Dream Cruise. I tracked it at Waterford Hills road course with the Roush Club. I had SVT brakes on both of my Mustangs, was building an SVT independent rear suspension for my '93 notchback. The list goes on.

This ridiculous gatekeeping pretending like the SR isn't a "real Lightning" and that people who are fine with SR just don't "get" performance cars is complete nonsense.

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
Ford believes that less than 10% of people placing an order for 2022 year model trucks will want the standard range battery.
They have way underestimated ask other aspects of demand for this truck so I wouldn't be surprised if they way underestimated the number of pro orders that will be placed because of how they have priced the XLT
Yeah no this is just not true. Ford 100% knows that the Pro will be in massive demand and be the hardest truck to get. The margins are the pro are terrible for ford. They are possibly losing money for every lightning they sell at $40k. The only reason the Pro exists is to say the lightning "starts under $40k"

Ford will sell out of Pros every year by making 5% of them and then force peoples hands into the base XLT or Lariat trims. It will be like this for 5+ years in my opinion.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
ER vs SR is nothing even remotely like comparing the regular 2001 F-150 vs the 2001 gas Lightning, for instance. The Lightning had performance suspension and brakes, different interior, different taillights, different bumper, unique wheels, high performance tires, almost 50% more horsepower. The Lightning's 0-60 advantage was measured in seconds, not tenths... the list goes on.

The difference between the new Lightning SR and Lightning ER is microscopic in comparison. The main difference IS range and charging, not performance.

The Lightning SR is quicker to 60 than the quickest gas Lightning.

In practice, I bet the Pro SR is very competitive with a Lariat/Platinum ER 0-60 considering the weight difference and the way EVs with bigger batteries normally deliver their additional power compared to smaller-battery siblings (see Model 3 SR vs LR RWD, where the 0-60 difference was minimal in practice).

The ER doesn't have any "solar and powerwall built into the heavy amperage inverter"... the SR can do those things, too. The inverter for that is outside the truck.

No, the ER doesn't cost meaningfully less for Ford to add to the higher trim vehicles.

It's not the fastest production truck on the planet. The R1T and Hummer are quicker.

Fact is, the $10k required package that people are upset about (Not me. I've never wanted an XLT anyway), is completely unrelated to performance. It's all luxury stuff that "rEAl lIGHtNiNg pEOplE" probably wouldn't care about anyway.

I've owned multiple Mustangs. One of my best friends had an '03 Cobra which I drove many times. My dad Coyote-swapped his '01 Bullitt, the first New Edge car with a Coyote engine, which was featured in 5.0 Mustang Magazine and at Ford's display at the Woodward Dream Cruise. I tracked it at Waterford Hills road course with the Roush Club. I had SVT brakes on both of my Mustangs, was building an SVT independent rear suspension for my '93 notchback. The list goes on.

This ridiculous gatekeeping pretending like the SR isn't a "real Lightning" and that people who are fine with SR just don't "get" performance cars is complete nonsense.
Great points. The SR is the second quickest or at least tied with the Raptor F-150 behind the ER.

I will say this, my pedestrian 2.7 is fast enough for the streets and in Sport mode is a blast to drive. It's way slower than the SR......

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Yeah no this is just not true. Ford 100% knows that the Pro will be in massive demand and be the hardest truck to get. The margins are the pro are terrible for ford. They are possibly losing money for every lightning they sell at $40k. The only reason the Pro exists is to say the lightning "starts under $40k"

Ford will sell out of Pros every year by making 5% of them and then force peoples hands into the base XLT or Lariat trims. It will be like this for 5+ years in my opinion.
I don't know how long they'll artificially limit Pros, but I absolutely agree that they DEFINITELY know the Pro SR will not be the least-popular trim, contrary to what's in their "playbook".

They're playing dumb so that they can pretend it wasn't on purpose when there are way, way too few Pros compared to demand. It's the same thing they did with their moronic estimates of how much Lightning demand there would be in general, so now they can sent out a "Wow, demand is so much higher than expected, so we're going to double it" email every few weeks.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

I don't think they are losing money on each pro, but I do think they ZEV state credits are what make it profitable.

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The inverter is different for the ER model. That is how it can charge more battery capacity faster. If the electric motors are exactly the same (haven’t seen part numbers yet, so please feel free to correct me), then the ER purchasers are paying extra for all the high power motors going in the SR trucks.

I really don’t think Ford doesn’t put parts in vehicles unless someone somewhere pays for those parts. So either the SR owners are getting cheap high horsepower motors, or the ER owners are paying for that deficit.

This commentary lacks common sense folks. Let’s step up our analytical thinking please.

If people here think that the lightning is being targeted at them (the ones complaining about the ER price tag) they are grossly mistaken and Ford is just sitting back laughing at you while saying “dang kid thinks he wants to be in the Lightning Club….. Next”.

Just so everyone here understands the principles of the free market… and that means no one is forcing you to buy a lighting. But if you want it, and you want the real lightning, you’re going to get the ER and you’re going to be happy to pay the price. All others can exit the lightning club if you don’t have what it takes.
Nice trolling…. We need something to keep us busy till wave 2 opens…

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
The Lightning ER is a race truck? If I drive fast won't all the lumber, hay, firewood, kayaks...go flying out the back?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.